News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hungry hemi

Started by wrench, September 29, 2011, 10:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wrench

My hemi is hungry, hungry for fuel pump push rods. I know this subject has been brought up often, but has anyone found any cure ? I installed a new MOPAR push rod with the rebuild and it promptly ate that one in less than 100 miles.  :brickwall: Only after close inspection of that pushrod did i notice that a good steak knife would have cut through it like butter. So i installed an original Dodge used 383 pushrod i had and that one lasted for close to 2000 miles. Am not crazy about electric pumps but looks like that is the route i will have to take. I have a HP Holley mechanical fuel pump (110). Does anyone think it may be contributing to the problem? The pushrod is well lubricated when i remove it from the block, it is not mushroomed. It actually looks like it may be rotating, by the way it is worn. The camshaft does not look worn or damaged(from what i can see from the hole). What do you guys think???

firefighter3931

What type of cam are you using....flat tappet or roller ? If it's a Roller cam you need to use a bronze tipped fuel pump pushrod.  :yesnod:

The type of oil being used will also contribute to accelerated wear. Allways use an anti wear additive with lots of Zinc/Phosphorus. I like Brad Penn Racing 20/50....it's a semi synthetic with lots of the good anti-wear additives blended in.  :2thumbs:

Mancini sells the brass tipped pushrod : http://chucker54.stores.yahoo.net/mabbrtifupup.html

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Chryco Psycho

Ihave heard of some of the re-pro pushrods not being hardened properly

Back N Black

Quote from: wrench on September 29, 2011, 10:19:33 PM
My hemi is hungry, hungry for fuel pump push rods. I know this subject has been brought up often, but has anyone found any cure ? I installed a new MOPAR push rod with the rebuild and it promptly ate that one in less than 100 miles.  :brickwall: Only after close inspection of that pushrod did i notice that a good steak knife would have cut through it like butter. So i installed an original Dodge used 383 pushrod i had and that one lasted for close to 2000 miles. Am not crazy about electric pumps but looks like that is the route i will have to take. I have a HP Holley mechanical fuel pump (110). Does anyone think it may be contributing to the problem? The pushrod is well lubricated when i remove it from the block, it is not mushroomed. It actually looks like it may be rotating, by the way it is worn. The camshaft does not look worn or damaged(from what i can see from the hole). What do you guys think???

I had the same pump and it ate two fuel pump push rods, first one 300 miles, second one 400 miles. I installed a stock pump and no issues now. I have 3000 miles on the stock fuel pump and the push rod is good.

wrench

which pump exactly do you mean by stock Mr. black? I suspect that Holley pump also.

Back N Black

I replaced it with a carter M4845 fuel pump.

maxwellwedge

For a Hemi I would get the Carter pump that looks similar to the stock Hemi pump.....

Will try and find the part number

wrench

Thanks guys, ordered one from mancini. original hemi pump. has less pressure than HP one.