News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Choke thermostat

Started by Sixt8Chrgr, September 26, 2011, 06:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixt8Chrgr

Is the choke thermostat (topside) supposed to be painted intake manifold color on a 68 440 or 383, or left natural? Also is the correct assembly a Holley choke thermostat that fits flush on the intake manifold for a Carter AVS carb?

Thanks

Lawrence

maxwellwedge

They were not painted - neither were their attaching bolt(s).

What is the number stamped on the Holley? I have only seen Holley chokes for Holley carbs and Carter chokes for Carter carbs.

Sixt8Chrgr

I don't have a correct Holley carb...what I have are two choke assemblies, one the previously mentioned Holley and a Carter choke assembly. I do have the correct Carter AVS carb for a 383 auto with air which is what my car is originally. Now I am running a mildly built 440 with a Holley carb Eddy performer rpm with no choke. I am considering putting the stock 440 manifild back on the car and removing the Holley. I would like to just use the Carter that I have (from the 383) but I assume I will have to rejet it for the 440? The Holley choke assembly was attached to the 68 440 manifold that I purchased. I have no idea if it was the correct piece but it was old looking and cruddy. I have cleaned it up and it looks real good.

maxwellwedge

What number is on the Carter choke?

Not sure about your re-jetting - but the 383 used a smaller carb. It will probably run but not perform anywhere near as well up top as the bigger 440 carb.

Sixt8Chrgr

No number on the Carter.
Were the Carter carbs for the 383 and 440 different size carb or just the inside different?

gtx6970

Quote from: Sixt8Chrgr on September 26, 2011, 06:59:06 PM
Is the choke thermostat (topside) supposed to be painted intake manifold color on a 68 440 or 383, or left natural? Also is the correct assembly a Holley choke thermostat that fits flush on the intake manifold for a Carter AVS carb?

Thanks

Lawrence

1968 440 R/t is going to be an AVS carb and carter choke , choke will have  45 stamped on the  plate

and yes, it sits flush with the top of the manifold under the carb

Sixt8Chrgr

Couple of questions:

What does the Carter choke thermostat in the above picture fit?
The 68 440 intake manifold that I have had this choke thermostat in it. What does it fit? Were there not some 68 383's and 440's with Holleys from the factory? I know there were some 69 383's with them.

Thanks