News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How long will a 500 stroker run without water? A dyno test.

Started by heyoldguy, September 26, 2011, 06:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heyoldguy

So he takes this 500 stroker with 906 iron heads and bolts it to Comp Cams dyno, see?

And they fire it up to break in the rings and run it at some 1700rpm with about 100ft-lbs of load. Got it so far?

It runs about three minutes and starts popping out the exhaust and rattling under the valve covers. OH-oh!

It has spit three lashcaps off the exhaust valves, bent one pushrod and seized the valves to the guides and pulled the guides loose from the heads.

Soooo, they begin to unbolt it from the dyno and when they attempt to drain the water from the engine, IT IS BONE DRY. Somebody has forgot to fill the engine with water prior to starting the break-in. Huh!

Comp was apologetic and helped all they could. But its a dyno contest and there ain't much time left. So's the team with some help from another team rebuilds the quides, pushes them back in, reams them for the valves and the heads are back together before the short block cools. New head gaskets get there the next morning at 8:00AM and the engine is assembled for the afternoon session. They have leakdowns of 7%, 10%, 10%, 10%, 26%, 30%, 32% & 56% and it makes 730HP on 93 octane gas.

That's the story.............and I'm stickin' to it.

Chryco Psycho

maxwellwedge

Yeah - they kinda like the water part of it don't they?   :yesnod:

68X426

Guess they need to work more on their proprietary air cooled design, eh?  ::)

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Budnicks

HeyOldGuy I think you got screwed, they should let you Re-Dyno it, since it was "their fault" it ruined your chances at the contest, 730hp is still pretty good with all that leak down... I was looking forward to closer to 800hp as I'm sure you were also...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

GPULLER

Budnicks

heyoldguy

Hey, I was there. Comp Cams was very fair in the way they handled the crisis. NO complaints from the engine builder, I know him well. We have met the enemy and they is us.

morepower

thats unfortunate but sounds like a stout engine. will the build be shown in a mopar magazine?
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

tan top

D'oH  thats a bummer    :slap:
just read the specks on the motor 440 / 500ci stroker  :o  !! nice all with 906 heads !!  :coolgleamA:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

acelondon

I'd say 900+CFM carb, headers, maybe better heads. No reason an engine that size wont make 500hp. I was just reading an article about a guy pushing 700 from a 500" Dodge. My buddy's 318 is pushing 425HP.

Budnicks

Quote from: acelondon on October 19, 2011, 05:42:27 PM
I'd say 900+CFM carb, headers, maybe better heads. No reason an engine that size wont make 500hp. I was just reading an article about a guy pushing 700 from a 500" Dodge. My buddy's 318 is pushing 425HP.
Heyoldguys 500/440 engine made 730hp "wounded" on 93 octane pump gas,   what are you referring too ?  He probably has some of the best flowing 906 casting heads in the world, with in the rules of the contest $$$$ limits....

acelondon

Quote from: Budnicks on October 19, 2011, 06:25:48 PM
Heyoldguys 500/440 engine made 730hp "wounded" on 93 octane pump gas,   what are you referring too ?  He probably has some of the best flowing 906 casting heads in the world, with in the rules of the contest $$$$ limits....

Apparently, i cant delete that post... It's in the wrong thread. My buggy Beta Fire Fox browser apparently can't figure out which tab im in. Happened on SlashDot.org too. Its in a thread about how a guys 500" motor cant get out of its own way.

Budnicks

Quote from: acelondon on October 19, 2011, 07:34:28 PM
Quote from: Budnicks on October 19, 2011, 06:25:48 PM

Apparently, i cant delete that post... It's in the wrong thread. My buggy Beta Fire Fox browser apparently can't figure out which tab im in. Happened on SlashDot.org too. Its in a thread about how a guys 500" motor cant get out of its own way.
Oh well, shit happens, freaken computer stuff  :brickwall: I'm sure nobody really took it the wrong way, I was wondering what you were reading...

Challenger340

Those Engine Challenges are always an interesting read...see whats being done......
and sometimes,
a great venue to PROVE, what actually CAN BE DONE with these old Engines, when a Guy applies himself and his talents like "Oldguy" did :2thumbs:
Pushing right to the limit of the parts envelope is neat !

I only hope there is some "Marketability" in doing so for him.....
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Budnicks

"Mopar Muscle Magazine" {Dyno} Engine Challenges, It's suppose to help get exposure for engine builders, maybe so they can sell the engines from the challenges or their products & teams capabilities at the least... HeyOldGuy has been in a few of them he has done well in all... I don't know if he wants his identity known here or not, he can do that himself if that is what he wishes, he & his son Cody are both very nice guys, very knowledgeable & excellent Mopar Engine Builders & excellent Head Porters...

heyoldguy

Hey thanks Budnicks, I'm just trying to share some adventures and information on the forum. It's a fine line.

Budnicks

HeyOldGuy Are you able to reveal the results of the dyno contest yet  :icon_smile_question: or is it still top secret  :smilielol:

GPULLER

After getting the new Mopar Muscle and reading the combos of the competitors I'm looking forward to the next issues knowing there is "one of our own" in the race.

heyoldguy

Quote from: Budnicks on November 04, 2011, 01:56:12 PM
HeyOldGuy Are you able to reveal the results of the dyno contest yet  :icon_smile_question: or is it still top secret  :smilielol:

Naw, they aren't gonna tell me, I've asked. The official results won't be announced until the PRI Show in Orlando, FL.

Here is how they stand before knowing who made or missed the $5,500 budget.

Darren Tedder/Prism Racing, 1.593 HP/CI
T&B'Z Race Engines, 1.586 HP/CI............look, only seven one thousandths (.007) of a HP/CI less than Tedder
Hollis Page/HP Engines, 1.50 HP/CI
Buck Hinkle, 1.47 HP/CI.......Broke/DNF
LaRoy Engines, 1.46 HP/CI......Before she went on the bar-b-que, we figured on 800+ HP or 1.60+ HP/CI, alas, it was not to be.
Bill's Engine & Machine, 1.38 HP/CI
Mid America Racing Engines, 1.38 HP/CI

firefighter3931

That's a real shame....sounds like you had a real winner there !  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Budnicks

Quote from: heyoldguy on November 04, 2011, 09:33:52 PM
Quote from: Budnicks on November 04, 2011, 01:56:12 PM

Naw, they aren't gonna tell me, I've asked. The official results won't be announced until the PRI Show in Orlando, FL.

Here is how they stand before knowing who made or missed the $5,500 budget.

Darren Tedder/Prism Racing, 1.593 HP/CI
T&B'Z Race Engines, 1.586 HP/CI............look, only seven one thousandths (.007) of a HP/CI less than Tedder
Hollis Page/HP Engines, 1.50 HP/CI
Buck Hinkle, 1.47 HP/CI.......Broke/DNF
LaRoy Engines, 1.46 HP/CI......Before she went on the bar-b-que, we figured on 800+ HP or 1.60+ HP/CI, alas, it was not to be.
Bill's Engine & Machine, 1.38 HP/CI
Mid America Racing Engines, 1.38 HP/CI
That wounded engine still did pretty damn well though... Wonder what it would have been, with out all the leak down after the overheating... I guess we will never know now... Such is life..

heyoldguy

Quote from: firefighter3931 on November 05, 2011, 02:17:35 PM
That's a real shame....sounds like you had a real winner there !  :yesnod:

Ron

In the end, we were going to finish way down in the standings anyway. The motor was way over the $5,500 hard parts budget. For every $100 over, there will be 10 HP subtracted from your peak horsepower and then they will figure the HP/CI for a winner. The reason we went, was to show what we could do with the factory 906 heads. Kinda disappointed we didn't get to show what they would really do, still 730 HP ain't shabby. The same heads on a 9.7:1 compression 451 made 693 HP and it wasn't anywhere near tuned, we just ran outta time with it.

Jim LaRoy