News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

I have to order a new clutch

Started by MOXY100, September 26, 2011, 06:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MOXY100

I have to order a new clutch for my68 RT, the engine is a 1970,and  its a 440.  I'm wondering if theres a common size for that year and size. I'm not doing the work myself and I don't want to tie up my friends garage for a week, I know its not allot of info, but any input would be apreacated, also what brand would you recamend, thanks, Moxy...

maxwellwedge

Do you have the 11" bell housing or the 10-1/2" ?

MOXY100

Im not sure, if i find out, is there a size for each one, as you can tell i dont do my own work.

maxwellwedge

They used an 11" up to 69.

70-up got the so-called 10-1/2". Since you said you have a 70 motor - I wonder if they used the whole 70 set-up?

There should be a casting number on it somewhere - If you find one - that will tell me what you have

Also the 11" were cast iron, the 10-1/2" - Aluminum.

Chryco Psycho

I would order a McLeod , 11" .
You will have either the cast iron bell & 143 tooth flywheel or the Alum bell with a 130 tooth flywheel , both use the same 11" disc in either 23 or 18 spline but the 130 tooth is called a 10.95" not 11" .The fastest way to tell is to stick a magnet to it . The Pressure plate is totally different between the two though , the 10.95 has the Borg & Beck / Long style 3 finger pressure plate which is my preference , the 11" 143 tooth has the 3 finger B&B available . I avoid the diaphragm type clutches , one the disc inverts it can stay there & cause the engine to redline or higher on high RPM shifts , I have had this happen to me personally , luckily I had a rev limiter in the car . I also avoid the smaller 10.5 " disc on the 130 tooth , why not have the extra surface area , the clutch will just last longer with an 11" disc

MOXY100

thanks guys, I will look into it further, Moxy.  I'm from NY it's almost time to put her in storage, 7 months just flies by, than again where did the last 55 yrs go!