News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Moper guru don't know crap???!!!!

Started by dodgedarren, September 25, 2011, 05:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgedarren

I showed my Charger at the Crusin' For  Cure event this Saturday. Most time unless people ask I act like im just another spectator checking the car out because I like to hear there honest comments. Well this guy with a mopar T-shirt on come up to my car and starts inspecting it with a younger guy maybe in his 20s. He ask the kid "what do you see that is not correct with this car". He proceeds to tell the kid that I've made a "common mistake in that "the radiator support is suppose to be black". He as stated the the front frame rails should be black as well. The latter I would think it would depend oh whether the car has under coating or not. But I have never see ant Chrysler radiator support painter black.
Also, he failed to mention that I had a brake booster, aluminum heads and intake, Holy Carb, etc, etc, etc..
I just ignored him because I didn't want ti embarrass my self and I'd never pretend that I know everything.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I love to sit back and listen to people at shows. Comedy relief  :rofl:

In fact, I am getting rid of my cable TV, as all the drama I need is at a summer time show  :hah:

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

dodgedarren

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on September 25, 2011, 06:19:36 PM
I love to sit back and listen to people at shows. Comedy relief  :rofl:

In fact, I am getting rid of my cable TV, as all the drama I need is at a summer time show  :hah:

It was my first show so I was really interested in what opinions or suggestions I may get.
I've been doing some research and seems that maybe he was right about the radiator support.

Brock Lee

The radiator support was factory painted black on the side facing the grille.

A383Wing

Quote from: Brock Lee on September 25, 2011, 06:23:20 PM

y3chargerrt

Some of the darker colors were not painted black by the factory.

dodgedarren

Quote from: Brock Lee on September 25, 2011, 06:23:20 PM

What kind of black and how far up?

dodgedarren

Quote from: y3chargerrt on September 25, 2011, 06:26:14 PM

interesting. So with my car that may have been the case???

68 charger freak

68 charger, pro touring build ,mini tub,528 wedge,magnum-xl 6 speed,rms alterkation,martz 4 link,moser 8.75,custom interior

Back N Black

Quote from: dodgedarren on September 25, 2011, 06:31:20 PM
Quote from: y3chargerrt on September 25, 2011, 06:26:14 PM

interesting. So with my car that may have been the case???

I guess he was a guru !!  :shruggy:

charge69

Well, Chrysler did state that the radiator support on about 4 or 5 of the darker colors do not have to be painted ('68 and '69 model year , I think) but,  I have never seen one NOT painted originally from the factory. Might be out there , though. Just never seen one.

The top cross radiator support was painted body color but the lower support below the top cross-piece and part behind the grill and headlights were painted black, apparently after recieving paint that was body color as a lot of them have black overspray on them at the top part of the support , but not the very top that recieved the numbers and decals. My Charger had overspray (black) on it and when we painted it, my restorer put overspray on the radiator support , just like the factory did it. Mine is and was originally R6 Red.

Your car might have come without the radiator support being painted black but probably came painted black even though I think your color is one of the ones that met Chrysler's requirement of being an originally dark color.

Brock Lee

I had a 1969 F8 parts car that was factory blacked out. They also blacked out the inside of the lower valance. They went approximately from light to light.

y3chargerrt

I remember seeing a magazine article one time. During the tear down for the resto they found one side blacked out and the other side unpainted. With the quality control back then anything could happen.

maxwellwedge

I have a black car that received the black out. This darker color thing is an urban myth.

Cars were blacked out on the front side so the body color wouldn't show through the grill etc.

1969chargerrtse

Interesting.  More interesting that people find this stuff interesting after 40 plus years.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

A383Wing

our cream 66 Charger is blacked out in front behind the grille from fender to fender....but not on the very top of the rad support....and it has a little overspray on each corner where rad support meets front fender

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 25, 2011, 07:32:23 PM
Interesting.  More interesting that people find this stuff interesting after 40 plus years.

It is one of the top 10 Mopar restoration arrors.

Magnumcharger

Just noticed that 383 Wing is ahead of maxwellwedge by a nose...
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

maxwellwedge

maxwellwedge

A383Wing

Quote from: maxwellwedge on September 25, 2011, 07:41:45 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 25, 2011, 07:32:23 PM

It is one of the top 10 Mopar restoration arrors.

along with putting the pentastar emblem on the drivers side as well

A383Wing

Quote from: Magnumcharger on September 25, 2011, 07:46:08 PM
Just noticed that 383 Wing is ahead of maxwellwedge by a nose...

I'm winning again....   :slap:

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

A383Wing