News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Moper guru don't know crap???!!!!

Started by dodgedarren, September 25, 2011, 05:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgedarren

I showed my Charger at the Crusin' For  Cure event this Saturday. Most time unless people ask I act like im just another spectator checking the car out because I like to hear there honest comments. Well this guy with a mopar T-shirt on come up to my car and starts inspecting it with a younger guy maybe in his 20s. He ask the kid "what do you see that is not correct with this car". He proceeds to tell the kid that I've made a "common mistake in that "the radiator support is suppose to be black". He as stated the the front frame rails should be black as well. The latter I would think it would depend oh whether the car has under coating or not. But I have never see ant Chrysler radiator support painter black.
Also, he failed to mention that I had a brake booster, aluminum heads and intake, Holy Carb, etc, etc, etc..
I just ignored him because I didn't want ti embarrass my self and I'd never pretend that I know everything.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

I love to sit back and listen to people at shows. Comedy relief  :rofl:

In fact, I am getting rid of my cable TV, as all the drama I need is at a summer time show  :hah:

Rolling_Thunder

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

dodgedarren

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on September 25, 2011, 06:19:36 PM
I love to sit back and listen to people at shows. Comedy relief  :rofl:

In fact, I am getting rid of my cable TV, as all the drama I need is at a summer time show  :hah:

It was my first show so I was really interested in what opinions or suggestions I may get.
I've been doing some research and seems that maybe he was right about the radiator support.

Brock Lee

The radiator support was factory painted black on the side facing the grille.

A383Wing

Quote from: Brock Lee on September 25, 2011, 06:23:20 PM

y3chargerrt

Some of the darker colors were not painted black by the factory.

dodgedarren

Quote from: Brock Lee on September 25, 2011, 06:23:20 PM

What kind of black and how far up?

dodgedarren

Quote from: y3chargerrt on September 25, 2011, 06:26:14 PM

interesting. So with my car that may have been the case???

68 charger freak

68 charger, pro touring build ,mini tub,528 wedge,magnum-xl 6 speed,rms alterkation,martz 4 link,moser 8.75,custom interior

Back N Black

Quote from: dodgedarren on September 25, 2011, 06:31:20 PM
Quote from: y3chargerrt on September 25, 2011, 06:26:14 PM

interesting. So with my car that may have been the case???

I guess he was a guru !!  :shruggy:

charge69

Well, Chrysler did state that the radiator support on about 4 or 5 of the darker colors do not have to be painted ('68 and '69 model year , I think) but,  I have never seen one NOT painted originally from the factory. Might be out there , though. Just never seen one.

The top cross radiator support was painted body color but the lower support below the top cross-piece and part behind the grill and headlights were painted black, apparently after recieving paint that was body color as a lot of them have black overspray on them at the top part of the support , but not the very top that recieved the numbers and decals. My Charger had overspray (black) on it and when we painted it, my restorer put overspray on the radiator support , just like the factory did it. Mine is and was originally R6 Red.

Your car might have come without the radiator support being painted black but probably came painted black even though I think your color is one of the ones that met Chrysler's requirement of being an originally dark color.

Brock Lee

I had a 1969 F8 parts car that was factory blacked out. They also blacked out the inside of the lower valance. They went approximately from light to light.

y3chargerrt

I remember seeing a magazine article one time. During the tear down for the resto they found one side blacked out and the other side unpainted. With the quality control back then anything could happen.

maxwellwedge

I have a black car that received the black out. This darker color thing is an urban myth.

Cars were blacked out on the front side so the body color wouldn't show through the grill etc.

1969chargerrtse

Interesting.  More interesting that people find this stuff interesting after 40 plus years.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

A383Wing

our cream 66 Charger is blacked out in front behind the grille from fender to fender....but not on the very top of the rad support....and it has a little overspray on each corner where rad support meets front fender

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 25, 2011, 07:32:23 PM
Interesting.  More interesting that people find this stuff interesting after 40 plus years.

It is one of the top 10 Mopar restoration arrors.

Magnumcharger

Just noticed that 383 Wing is ahead of maxwellwedge by a nose...
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

maxwellwedge

maxwellwedge

A383Wing

Quote from: maxwellwedge on September 25, 2011, 07:41:45 PM
Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 25, 2011, 07:32:23 PM

It is one of the top 10 Mopar restoration arrors.

along with putting the pentastar emblem on the drivers side as well

A383Wing

Quote from: Magnumcharger on September 25, 2011, 07:46:08 PM
Just noticed that 383 Wing is ahead of maxwellwedge by a nose...

I'm winning again....   :slap:

Troy

Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

A383Wing

hemi-hampton

I've been blacking them out for past 20 years, since early 90's. Back then everybody said I was doing it wrong. I restored a 1of 1 Black T/A Challenger that had the core support blacked out even though they say not necessary on black, or B9 ect.  LEON.

bull

They shot the black from below as the car passed over them in a pit IIRC, so they didn't really do a great job.

41husk

Speaking of Guru's, I have had so many people explain to others why my car is a real Daytona.  I don't correct them unless they ask.  I never tell anyone it's a real XX, but I tell anyone who asks that is a clone.  I also get a couple people per show who had a real one.  I think I have now met about 1500 people at local car shows who used to own one :shruggy:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

triple_green

Hi Darren,

My car is the same year and color as yours. I know the radiator frame has never been repainted and it is black. the top piece is body color. It looks just like the pictures that Troy shows, except that it is 66-1 green.

Still doesn't make the guy a Guru though  :coolgleamA:

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

maxwellwedge

Quote from: bull on September 26, 2011, 12:23:42 AM
They shot the black from below as the car passed over them in a pit IIRC, so they didn't really do a great job.

Yeah - That's what Ehrenbooger says but I think they stopped that after the 64 Valiant.

If you study the black-out on a good survivor, muscle-car era vehicle, you can easily tell where the painter was standing....and it was not under the car.

Alaskan_TA

I agree.

If the front blackout was painted from a pit, the guy in the pit was on a ladder or had  v e r y  long arms.  :Twocents:

Iron Chef

Quote from: 41husk on September 26, 2011, 08:10:15 AM
Speaking of Guru's, I have had so many people explain to others why my car is a real Daytona.  I don't correct them unless they ask.  I never tell anyone it's a real XX, but I tell anyone who asks that is a clone.  I also get a couple people per show who had a real one.  I think I have now met about 1500 people at local car shows who used to own one :shruggy:

I get tired of the constant "I had a brother who..." or "This friend of mine's second cousin has..." stories.  I know people are trying to be friendly and just want to connect like that, but it gets old, especially at a show.

The last show I was in, I sat far enough back to where I wasn't approached about either one of my cars, but I was in earshot of a lot of stupid comments.  I have a numbers-matching '70 Challenger R/T, 100% original, and you should have heard the stuff a few "experts" were saying.  I just grinned, sipped my Diet Coke, and walked home with a trophy.
Most of your life should be "off the record."

XS29LA47V21

couple original paint for ref,  :popcrn:
It seems the factory was not real consistant on this fogged in area and variations on some cars seem quite wide to my eyes over the years.

41husk

That is probably best to ignore the comments.  Never argue with an idiot, some one may not know which one is which :slap:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

bull

Sometimes the stories people tell are kind of fun. Many times I talk to people who went for a ride in a Mopar whay back when and remember it as the fastest ride they ever took in a car. Of course they usually can't remember if it was a Roadrunner, Challenger, Charger, etc., but they do remember it being a Dodge or Plymouth. It's something that sticks with people and they're trying to remember the details as best they can, but we all know that the holes in facts often get filled with fiction when it comes to stories about cars.

triple_green

People's stories are one  of the best parts of this hobby,,, besides the sound of a big block acclerating thru "loose" hemi mufflers

68X426

Quote from: Iron Chef on September 27, 2011, 11:13:38 AMI get tired of the constant "I had a brother who..." or "This friend of mine's second cousin has..." stories.  I know people are trying to be friendly and just want to connect like that, but it gets old, especially at a show.

More people had more Daytonas, SuperBirds, and Hemi Road Runners than attended Woodstock.  :yesnod:  And everybody attended Woodstock.  ::)

The 12 Scariest Words in the English Language:
We are Here from The Government and
We Want to Help You.

1968 Plymouth Road Runner, Hemi and much more
2013 Dodge Challenger RT, Hemi, Plum Crazy
2014 Ram 4x4 Hemi, Deep Cherry Pearl
1968 Dodge Charger, 318, not much else
1958 Dodge Pick Up, 383, loud
1966 Dodge Van, /6, slow

Iron Chef

Quote from: 68X426 on September 27, 2011, 04:07:28 PM
Quote from: Iron Chef on September 27, 2011, 11:13:38 AMI get tired of the constant "I had a brother who..." or "This friend of mine's second cousin has..." stories.  I know people are trying to be friendly and just want to connect like that, but it gets old, especially at a show.

More people had more Daytonas, SuperBirds, and Hemi Road Runners than attended Woodstock.  :yesnod:  And everybody attended Woodstock.  ::)

One guy walked up to me in a gas station and HAD to tell me about his 145MPH ride in his friends stock '69 Roadrunner.  :blahblah:
Most of your life should be "off the record."

dodgedarren

Quote from: Iron Chef on September 27, 2011, 04:18:44 PM
Quote from: 68X426 on September 27, 2011, 04:07:28 PM

I dont think it gets old. I am always what color combination it was. Sometimes it turns out it wasnt a Charger after all just a old muscle car that was the same color.
\\

One guy walked up to me in a gas station and HAD to tell me about his 145MPH ride in his friends stock '69 Roadrunner.  :blahblah:

Mike DC

These cars need to come with a separate owner's manual just for dealing with bystander comments.  There are certain things that you will never stop hearing.  And a portion of the people will always insist that they know more about your car than you do, no matter how far off the mark their ideas are. 

As for the rad blackout, as I recall it was so you wouldn't see the body colored paint showing through behind the grille when you looked straight on at the front.

dodgedarren

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on October 05, 2011, 12:36:55 PM

These cars need to come with a separate owner's manual just for dealing with bystander comments.  There are certain things that you will never stop hearing.  And a portion of the people will always insist that they know more about your car than you do, no matter how far off the mark their ideas are. 

As for the rad blackout, as I recall it was so you wouldn't see the body colored paint showing through behind the grille when you looked straight on at the front.

Yes, I concur but someone made a earlier comments that not all cars came blacked out. It depended on the color
and now I am curious if anyone who has 661 green has a blacked out grill??

maxwellwedge

All my green cars have factory black-out.

dodgedarren

Quote from: maxwellwedge on October 05, 2011, 12:46:14 PM
All my green cars have factory black-out.

Thank, good to finally have a the answer.

AKcharger

I recall at the NATS one year I was showing my wife a real nice '71 'cuda and how to make sure the car was legit. I pointed out the last portion of the VIN # on the radiator support and then walked to the windshield and said "see it matches the VIN here on the dash"... it didn't match, it was a rebody...we quietly walked away  :smilielol:

hemi68charger

Quote from: maxwellwedge on September 25, 2011, 07:23:21 PM
I have a black car that received the black out. This darker color thing is an urban myth.

Cars were blacked out on the front side so the body color wouldn't show through the grill etc.

No truer words spoken........  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

dodgedarren

Quote from: XS29LA47V21 on September 27, 2011, 11:44:25 AM
couple original paint for ref,  :popcrn:
It seems the factory was not real consistant on this fogged in area and variations on some cars seem quite wide to my eyes over the years.

At what point in production do you think the black out was sprayed?

dodgedarren

Quote from: Troy on September 25, 2011, 10:37:53 PM
Here's some of my 68...

Troy

If you look at Troys headlight ground wire it has body color paint on it then appears to be blacked out over it?
Would this indicate that the black out is sprayer on after the wiring harness is put in??
I feel like CSI over here.

dodgedarren

Looks like the black out was sprayed over the wiring harness????

triple_green

I just went out and looked at my car again. I honestly think the rad support was painted black before being installed on the car. I don't see any overspray like in those pictures. My car was manuf in St Louis very late in the model year.

3X
Mark

Kern Dog

Quote from: dodgedarren on September 25, 2011, 05:34:55 PM

I showed my Charger at the Crusin' For  Cure event this Saturday. Most time unless people ask I act like im just another spectator checking the car out because I like to hear there honest comments. Well this guy with a mopar T-shirt on come up to my car and starts inspecting it with a younger guy maybe in his 20s. He ask the kid "what do you see that is not correct with this car". He proceeds to tell the kid that I've made a "common mistake in that "the radiator support is suppose to be black". He as stated the the front frame rails should be black as well. The latter I would think it would depend oh whether the car has under coating or not. But I have never see ant Chrysler radiator support painter black.
Also, he failed to mention that I had a brake booster, aluminum heads and intake, Holy Carb, etc, etc, etc..
I just ignored him because I didn't want ti embarrass my self and I'd never pretend that I know everything.

Good thing that you didnt have one of those "Storyboards" on  display telling people about your car. Your spelling isn't very good. :lol:

dodgedarren

Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on October 05, 2011, 08:52:21 PM

Good thing that you didnt have one of those "Storyboards" on  display telling people about your car. Your spelling isn't very good. :lol:

Those story boards are lame!! And yes my spelling sucks. Went blind in one eyes this year due to shitty surgen
and put 30% of my car back together with one eye closed.

stripedelete

Quote from: dodgedarren on October 06, 2011, 09:07:39 AM
Quote from: Red 70 R/T 493 on October 05, 2011, 08:52:21 PM

Those story boards are lame!! And yes my spelling sucks. Went blind in one eyes this year due to shitty surgen
and put 30% of my car back together with one eye closed.

That 30% probably looks better than anything I could do.   It's off the subject, but what kind of surgery did he screw up?  Lasik or...????   

dodgedarren

It was a detached retina. I thought it was a minor thing but they insisted if I dont have surgery right away I could go blind in the eye and the next day after surgery I took the patch off and I was blind. To top things off they still want me to pay the $60k medical bill!!! I told them to go fuck themselves and that I'm gonna sue the fuck out of them. One doctor said that I would get use to it and I could live a completely normal life. Whateve dont even get me started. Thank God for my Charger. It gave me a outlet to focus on.

charge69

Sounds like someone "not dodgedarren" messed this up and I hope you can afford whatever you want after successfully sueing the pants off the Doctor. I hate hospitals and you certainly cannot trust everyone with a medical license to be a good surgeon!

Really sorry man!!

stripedelete

Quote from: dodgedarren on October 06, 2011, 10:20:22 AM

It was a detached retina. I thought it was a minor thing but they insisted if I dont have surgery right away I could go blind in the eye and the next day after surgery I took the patch off and I was blind. To top things off they still want me to pay the $60k medical bill!!! I told them to go fuck themselves and that I'm gonna sue the fuck out of them. One doctor said that I would get use to it and I could live a completely normal life. Whateve dont even get me started. Thank God for my Charger. It gave me a outlet to focus on.

Holy crap....    Yes, sounds like it may be time to "lawyer up".   I wish you the best.

A34

I wish you the best too. That really sucks.
Looking for NOS parts for 69 Charger - whatcha got?
God Bless America, Our Troops and Their Families !
Deo Vindice

dodgedarren

Did anyone notice that it looks like the factory painted over the wiring harness when the blacked out the radiator support??

Troy

Quote from: dodgedarren on October 06, 2011, 11:52:27 AM

Did anyone notice that it looks like the factory painted over the wiring harness when the blacked out the radiator support??
I think you're referencing my car. If so, I believe there may have been some touch-up later on and that may have been one area that was hit. I don't believe that wiring was attached when the car went through the paint process. I saved the pictures mainly to show how and where mine originally had the blackout - and differentiating that from 40 years of "modifications".

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.