News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need some advice on brake parts

Started by Dino, September 22, 2011, 07:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

So the '69 Charger I just bought comes with a wilwood front disc kit, not yet installed.  It's the 10.75" two part rotor/hub type.  I think it's dynalite?  It bolts directly to the exisitng drum spindles and comes with the flex lines that have to be bought separately.  The car has power drum brakes and will be used for cruising only, it will not be raced.

I know there's a lot of people on both sides of the fence (or on) with these kits but for my use I think it should be a big improvement over the stock brakes, if I'm wrong please tell me and I will get another kit.  I hope it's ok though because it's free!   :icon_smile_big:

Right now I'm running the original 14" rallye wheels and I'm not sure if they will fit on the new brakes but since I do intend to upgrade to 15" wheels I guess it doesn't matter, just means I need to have the new wheels before I break out the tools!

The kit does not come with disc brake master cylinder or proportioning valve or any other things I honestly know nothing about.  Besides the forementioned do I need anything else?

I found this not too far from me, is this a what I need and is it a good deal?

http://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/pts/2513839543.html

Thanks

D
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Chryco Psycho

Mancini has a direct bolt on booster that does not require the mounting bracket , it also comes with a booster .
The Wilwood brakes are good product but generally the calipers have no dirt seals . You will need a proportioning valve to reduce pressure to the rear drums or they will lock up . Wilwood has a 4 line adjustable prop valve  available

HPP

Quote from: Dino on September 22, 2011, 07:16:00 AM

Right now I'm running the original 14" rallye wheels and I'm not sure if they will fit on the new brakes but since I do intend to upgrade to 15" wheels I guess it doesn't matter, just means I need to have the new wheels before I break out the tools!

They should fit your 14" wheels, cuz they are smaller than the small factory offerings, 10.75 vs 10.8. The factory 11.75 units require 15" wheels and Wilwood has a 12.19 set that may also fit inside most 15" wheels.

Dino

I would think I'd be ok without the dirt seals as it will be a weekend cruiser.  Would it matter to use one with a mounting bracket if I don't mind the non factory correct look or should I just go with Mancini?  $100 for the whole thing is pretty good.

Nice to know the 14" wheels will fit.  I have to look at wilwood's kits.  Seeing the rotor is bolted to the hub maybe they sell larger rotors I could interchange when I upgrade the wheel size.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Chryco Psycho

don't bet on the 14 " wheels clearing , even if the rotor is a smaller diameter I am not os sure the caliper sits a close to the rotor as the factory one

RKCHARGER

I have the 12.19in Willwoods on already and the do clear our 15in wheels. We did a test fit last night. You can see pics of the brakes in my post "new stopping power"..... :2thumbs: