News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

firm feel power steering box best quality for a decent price ???

Started by moparstuart, September 19, 2011, 03:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparstuart

need a 70 road runner power steering gear box   looking for a firm feel stylle  ?
who is the best one to go with   quality for a decent price  ???????????????

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

twodko

Heya, I put a FF II in my 69 Charger...........what a difference it made. I very pleased with it and worth every dime.  :2thumbs:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

johnnycharger

Hi Tom
I am in the same boat. Is the FF better than rebuilding the factory one? Also where did you get yours?

twodko

Hey John! How's the new home? Our best to the family. Rebuilding the stock box will just result in the same sloppy unresponsive steering. After putting the new box in the improvement was like night and day. I bought my FF II from FirmFeel.com. You can send your old box to them with your order or you can wait until the new box arrives and then send them the old one. In the latter case they will add a core charge to your purchase until you send them your old box. Keep us in the loop.

Tom
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

PA Dodger

I've had good luck with my Steer and Gear unit. It is a level II setup. After reading reviews on this subject Firm Feel and Steer and Gear sound about the same. One is a little cheaper than the other. What will shipping cost you from OH or WA?
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

bill440rt

A new, rebuilt stock box or a firm box will not improve sloppiness if the rest of your steering components aren't up to snuff (pitman arm, idler arm, tie rod ends, etc). A rebuilt stock box should not have sloppiness, it will just feel loose or have easy steering like before. A Stage 2 or 3 box will be firmer like a newer car. It will not remove sloppiness if the rest of your steering system is shot.

I have a Steer-n-Gear Stage 2 box in my '69, & am about to put one in my '68 (along with a pitman arm & idler arm). I like the way it performs. Nice & responsive, & you don't have that "arms shot up with Novocaine" feeling with a stock box.

I chose Steer-n-Gear because they were a little cheaper vs FF, and I was able to pick it up at Carlisle to avoid shipping & core return shipping costs.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

Rubberduck

I have a FF Stage III in my ´68. And I´m very happy with it. I only can recommend to do the swap.  :2thumbs:

Mario
´68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

moparstuart

what is the difference between the 2 & the 3  ???  

ok called  steer and gear  $ 285.00 firm box
                                      $ 175.00  core
                                       $ 25.00 shipping 

a week to build me one 

bill440rt

The 3 is firmer than 2.

I find the 2 is very street friendly.
:Twocents:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Finn

Amount of rotation from lock to lock.

Ive got a stage II in mine, I believe its about 1.25 rotations from lock to lock. Love it.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

moparstuart

yeah they said the 3 was for more of a strictly hwy driving feel  the 2  was better for street/city driving  

Purple68

Another vote for FF stage 2. I also put a smaller steering wheel in and love the feel of it now.

sixty8charger

Hmm..  looks like I will have to get one of those!  Stage II! 

Who has the FF manual steering box?  How does it feel compared to the stock manual/or stock power?   I have stock power steering... but was just curious.
Jayson