News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need opinions on cam selection. Neil, Firefighter.....anyone

Started by Charger4404spd, September 22, 2011, 05:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger4404spd

After a few of your comments about Hughes cams, I have decided to look at Engle's. I listened to a sound clip of the k56 cam and it sounds good, but I would like something a little more "choppy". This is what I have. 440, 10 to 1 flat tops , stock 906 heads. I plan on installing a Mopar dual plane intake, ditch the hp manifolds for a set of tti headers, 4 speed tranny with 3.54 Suregrip. I do not have power brakes so vacuum isnt that important. Also, would the 1 7/8 or 2 inch headers be best? I will also be using my holley 750 vac. sec. carb. I do not plan on racing or beating this car up, just want her to sound good!  :2thumbs:

Challenger340

Quote from: Charger4404spd on September 22, 2011, 05:35:47 PM
I do not plan on racing or beating this car up, just want her to sound good!  :2thumbs:

COMP 23-600-5
IMO, "sound" should be about one of the last considerations when buying a Camshaft......
that said,
These things were designed for that  lopey "sound", and purely by accident I believe(given that it was afterall Compcams), they seem to have stumbled upon some performance ?
Don't ask me why, makes no sense to me, I'm not usually easily impressed with a mushy Hydraulic Cam of any brand, but the thing makes POWER too.

Go figure, a CompCam that works in a Mopar......must be an accident ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

firefighter3931

Definately go with a 1 7/8in header....the 2in tube is too big for that mild of a build.  :yesnod:

A lopey cam with a tight LSA will be more difficult to tune.....you may need a carb with a more agressive fuel curve so be prepared to budget for that  ;)

If it were mine ; I'd run the VooDoo 303 grind and call it good  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger4404spd

Is this the one you are referring to?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lunati/638/60303LK/10002/-1?parentProductId=756547

I was thinking the 1 7/8 headers would be best also, just wanted another opinion, thanks.

Chryco Psycho

I agree sound is the last consideration in selecting a cam
  you need to select a cam that makes power in the same range as the intake
60303 cam is a great choice for a hyd cam

firefighter3931

Quote from: Charger4404spd on September 23, 2011, 12:48:58 PM
Is this the one you are referring to?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Lunati/638/60303LK/10002/-1?parentProductId=756547

I was thinking the 1 7/8 headers would be best also, just wanted another opinion, thanks.

Yep, that's the one !  :icon_smile_big:

As Neil said the 303 will be a good match for your combination of parts. It will have a nice lope and excellent street manners/performance.  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Charger4404spd