News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440 build, suggestions, ideas and vendors....

Started by dlo3575, September 19, 2011, 09:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlo3575

I also decided to save a couple of bucks and re-use the cast crank.  I think I need to start thinking about a cam, lifters and pushrods.  Now 440 Source said that their heads may have some clearance issuse on the their push rods on the exhaust ports.  i think i need to explore that a bit.  I wonder if there is anythong else that I need to think about????  Y'all got any ideas.
D. Lee Herrera
MOPAR Newbie
1969 Charger (son's)
2009ZR1
2003 50th Anniv. Corvette Convertible
1964 Impala SS Vert
1963 Impala SS 4 spd 327-300HP

Musicman

Quote from: dlo3575 on October 03, 2011, 08:47:57 PM
Now 440 Source said that their heads may have some clearance issuse on the their push rods on the exhaust ports.  i think i need to explore that a bit. 

I know for a fact that the 440Source heads can have a pushrod clearance issue in cases where a lift ratio greater than the stock 1.5 is used, but I've never personally heard of an issue here when running stock. In either case its just a simple matter of clearing that area of the passage with a burring bit or a file if it was necessary... plenty of meat there. I ran a 1.6 ratio rocker on mine so I had to clear most of them at least a little bit anyway. Of course I knew ahead of time that this would more than likely be the case, so it was no big deal, I expected it... Budget Heads at Budget Prices. They could do it themselves but the added cost would get passed on to the consumer, so I guess the way they see it is... if you don't have any issues 99% of the time, why do it.

I wonder if they'll have the same issue with their new "Super Stealth" heads? Myself, I would say probably yes since it's basically identical to the Stealth, at least on the outside anyway... the inside is quite different.

Chryco Psycho

you will need the offset intake rocker wit the Super Stealths

Musicman

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on October 06, 2011, 01:37:28 PM
you will need the offset intake rocker wit the Super Stealths

That's the facts Jack! :yesnod:

dlo3575

Spoke to machine shop today when picking up my LCA's (got the bushings yanked out for $10-best $$ ever spent).  He confirmed what so many of y'all said: Do not powder coat the block.  He was concerned about heat.  He said to just paint it.  SO I relented....

Just waiting for my box from 444 Source to get here....
D. Lee Herrera
MOPAR Newbie
1969 Charger (son's)
2009ZR1
2003 50th Anniv. Corvette Convertible
1964 Impala SS Vert
1963 Impala SS 4 spd 327-300HP