News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SUPPOSED TO BE A TIRE BURNER

Started by DENNYSCARS, September 17, 2011, 07:10:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

Not being a chemist I have to ask, how so?

maxwellwedge

True - The gas will only hurt his wallet.

Ghoste

The price part is a for sure, but how does it affect performance negatively in a low compression engine?  Would it not just be a case of of the engine not being able to take advantage of what the high octane can offer?

Troy

Quote from: Ghoste on September 20, 2011, 09:52:37 AM
Octane is a detonation inhibitor - ie it makes gas harder to burn.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

idahogrumpy

Advance the the cam shaft 4 degrees. Set the timing at 38 degrees total, all in by 3200 rpm. Readjust carb. Do a power run and check plug color, sounds rich to me.  :Twocents:
Grumpy
Too much to say
Too much to do
Too tired to get it done
Too stubborn to give up
GRUMPY
Modified 73 440 Charger, 03 Intrepid SXT, 02 Neon and 2001 Ram 1500 .

Ghoste

Quote from: Troy on September 20, 2011, 02:51:23 PM
Octane is a detonation inhibitor - ie it makes gas harder to burn.

Troy

That makes sense I suppose,  But at what compression ratio does it become detrimental.  I don't have what I consider to be a high squeeze in my car (10.5 to 1) and when I dump a tank of 104 or 110 in the car it makes a difference.  The car even becomes easier to start and idles much smoother.  In fact, you can hear the engine note change when you are driving and the good stuff finally reaches it.

oldschool

The higher the octane of the fuel the slower it burns.  Anymore octane than required to prevent detination, will slow the combustion process.  As an example, my 580 CI motor has 14.16 cr.  When I put in on the dyno I first tried 116 race gas, the EGT's were very low but air fuel and everything else was good.  I then tried 110, the EGT's went up to where they should be and the motor picked up about 20 hp. 
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!