News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

headlights on, engine dies...

Started by bajaherbie, September 13, 2011, 07:34:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bajaherbie

finally got all of my blinkers, brake lites, etc to work so i've got a new problem... with the engine running when the headlight switch is pulled the engine stumbles a bit  and then will die. re-start the car, lather, rinse, repeat and it will die again. if you push the switch in, the engine will run correctly..... i need help! i have a good mechanic but would just like to give him a few ideas if i can'f fix it my self....

oh yeah, the alternator is a brand new 65 amp unit!

68neverlate

Check the connections on the new alternator as well as the state of your battery.  If I had to make a guess at this point, I'd say the car is running off the battery, not the alternator.  If the battery is low, when you turn on the lights, it'll suck more juice from the battery and may draw it down to the point where the ignition is not getting enough to keep the car running.  You could also see the same results if you have a short in the headlight circuit somewhere. 

Starting points for you... sometimes electrical gremlins can take a while to iron out.  Hopefully it won't get too involved.  Let us know how things go...

Cheers,    :cheers:

bajaherbie

i fixed it i think...... i found a loose ground on the headlight wiring(where it grounds to the radiator support). took it apart and soldered it back, scraped the crud from the bolt and rad. support and put it all back together. drove a few miles last night with the lights on!   

will test more today.....

1969chargerrtse

This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.