News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How to identify my engine?

Started by ChargerST, October 13, 2011, 05:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargerST

Here's the deal: when I bough my Charger the previous owner didn't know anything about the engine as he also bought it that way. He just told me that the engine was rebuilt by some shop. I want to know how I can identify the internals without ripping the engine apart - or at least get a general idea what kind of engine I have.

Here are the things I do know:
#block 440 (70 Charger).
915 closed chamber heads
large cam (no specs but rough idle) - hydraulic as the engine still has the factory rockers

Is there any way to determine the compression ratio or the cam specs?

RallyeMike

The easiest way would be to try and back track to the builder.

There is no easy way to determine complete cam specs without a tear down or getting a number off the cam. There is no way to tell piston compression ratio without a disassemble, though overall final compression ratio can be estimated by a compression test. 
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

ChargerST

I was thinking about using an endoscope camera through the spark plug hole to find out how deep the pistons sit in the hole. I doubt that they used a different crank.

ACUDANUT

It should have 946 heads  :scratchchin:.
If it runs well, sleep peacefully and not worry about it.