News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bought a Champion rad, HELP??

Started by sixpack_sid, September 15, 2011, 09:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixpack_sid

I have a 68 Charger. I put a 440 bb in an original 383. I didn't have the original rad so I bought one from Champion. Now my stock fan won't fit. I have 2 & 3/4 inches from the end of the fan pulley to the rad. Champion recommended I buy an electric fan. Any advice??  :shruggy:
I was thinking of buying a flex fan since they are thinner and cheaper than the electric ones. Need your  :Twocents: ASAP since I would like to do this over the weekend. It's taken 4 weeks to get the correct rad and I'm anxious to put it all together and hear her purr :2thumbs:
Thanks!
Sid
I have seen evil! I have seen horror!
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

Back N Black

The Hayden pn 2765 is what you need for the added clearance. This is the "Jaguar " clutch,Napa carries this part, btw.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: Back N Black on September 15, 2011, 11:58:07 AM
The Hayden pn 2765 is what you need for the added clearance. This is the "Jaguar " clutch,Napa carries this part, btw.

Is there a difference in cooling or performance with using the fan clutch instead of a solid fan? Can I use a flex fan?  :shruggy:
I have seen the unholy maggots which feast in the dark recesses of the human soul!
I have seen all this. But until today, I have never seen such a pain in the ars car like this 68 Charger!

greenpigs

Flex fans are not the best for city driving as they do not move much air. The clutch fan is the best choice& make sure you use a shroud also.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

rrob

My 440 always ran way to hot with the flex fan. Cluth and original big block fan fixed it.
69 charger, 440, automatic

bill440rt

I have a Hayden 2765 clutch, it's used but in nice shape. Let me know if you're interested.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

sixpack_sid

Quote from: bill440rt on September 17, 2011, 09:38:27 PM
I have a Hayden 2765 clutch, it's used but in nice shape. Let me know if you're interested.

I sent you a PM.
Thanks!
Sid

sixpack_sid

I'm not sure if the Hayden fan will fit. I'm not even sure if an electric fan will fit! :brickwall: By the time I get the bolt and the pulley onn the water pump, it sticks out even further! I have around 2 & 1/4 inches space to the radiator. I bought a flex fan and I'm ready to just put it on anyway. I need help! Please look at the pics below and help me figure this out.

sixpack_sid

maxwellwedge

Wow - That is a thick rad.

I am thinking a solid 7 blade with a thin spacer - with a shroud should be good.

sixpack_sid

Quote from: maxwellwedge on September 20, 2011, 10:08:19 AM

I am thinking a solid 7 blade with a thin spacer - with a shroud should be good.

Where can I buy one?

bill440rt

Sid, I had some pretty bad clearance issues on my '69 as well. I ended up going with this unit from Flex-a-lite:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-410/

The fans are adjacent to one another, not at an angle, so when installed the water pump nestles nicely in between the fans. It's also a very low profile, so it fit great on my rad. Check out the specs online & compare with your rad. I'm not 100% sure if it will work with your Champion, bit it's worth a shot. They make other sizes as well.

Here it is installed in my '69, see pg 2.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62840.25.html

"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Finn

I had to go back and forth with Champion to get them to move the brackets on the radiator so it tucks up closer to the radiator support. It's was a pain but it'll gain you a decent amount of space. Now I'm running a 7 blade engine fan on a very shallow clutch and dual pushers (the ones that came with the radiator, just reversed the wiring) in the front that only kick on when it reaches an adjustable temp. The engine fan is still quite close but it will clear.

Also, watch out for pin hole leaks once you get it filled and warmed up. GM sells pellets you can put in your radiator that solve the problem though, no biggie.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

sixpack_sid

Quote from: bill440rt on September 20, 2011, 01:36:56 PM
Sid, I had some pretty bad clearance issues on my '69 as well. I ended up going with this unit from Flex-a-lite:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-410/

The fans are adjacent to one another, not at an angle, so when installed the water pump nestles nicely in between the fans. It's also a very low profile, so it fit great on my rad. Check out the specs online & compare with your rad. I'm not 100% sure if it will work with your Champion, bit it's worth a shot. They make other sizes as well.

Here it is installed in my '69, see pg 2.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,62840.25.html

I browsed thru your post. That's a SWEET car!!  :drool5: Are you driving it now? I can't wait til I get mine finished!

I decided to try the electric fans that I posted a pic of from Champion. Since I bought the rad from Champion, the fans should fit---I HOPE!! If not, I will moount them on the other side of the rad.
Thanks for the replies! I can always count on you guys to help me thru the rough patches!

bill440rt

Thanks for the compliment!
Yes, I am driving it now. Temps stay nice & cool, even on 100+ degree days.

I saw your other post, another member showed a photo of the Flexalite 412 on what looks like a Champion rad. The 410 is the same dimensionally, but it's a little more expensive & comes with a variable speed control.
I don't think you can just "flip" the fan to the other side & expect it to work the same. There are "puller" fans (mounted on engine side), and there are "pusher" fans (mounted on grille side). They are designed differently. If you mount that fan you're showing on the grille side the shroud will block nearly all of the airflow thru the rad. NOT good!
I am VERY happy with the Flex-a-lite 410 fan setup.

Do some measuring, take some research. Look at cfm's & amp draw.
I spoke with Summit's tech line & Griffin when planning the fan. They needed to know rad size, clearance, engine specs, if I was running a trans cooler, mounting, etc. All this affected which fan to choose.

1Bad70Charger

I agree,

I just bought the biggest Champion Radiator with their electic fans and their shroud and the fans and shroud are JUNK, don't use them trust me, you will overheat in traffic if you have a hot build.  THe Champion shroud is the biggest piece of garbage I have ever seen, use it for target practice. It was causing my 505 big block to overheat in open air driving, and by removing it my problem was solved and I dropped 45 degrees (it junk, junk it).

I just dumped the bullshit Chinese fans that hardlly move any air, and was able to get a a 7 blade Hayden Fan to fit, and running about 20 degrees cooler in traffic right off the bat with no shroud. Don't have a part number available on the Hayden Fan, but can tell you call Bob at Glendora Chrsyler, at 715-551-3157, as he is the biggest cooling expert in the in the Midwest, and recommonded I run my Hayden 7 blade fan, and he can get you the part number and the fan is sold by Summit and it will fit (not sure what spacer my mechanic used I think the 1 inch).  :cheers:
48 year old Self Employed Trial Lawyer (I fight the ambulance chasers); 1969 Plymouth Roadrunner A12 Tribute Car, Built 505ci; Silver 2008 Hemi Dodge Challenger SRT8, Black 2006 Corvette Z06 427ci LS7-Keep God First, Family Second and Horsepower Third.  Interests:  God, Fast American Cars (old and new), Classic Muscle Cars, German Sheperds, Guns, Animals and the Great Outdoors (sick of Chicago).

sixpack_sid

Quote from: 1Bad70Charger on September 25, 2011, 12:19:20 AM

I agree,

I just bought the biggest Champion Radiator with their electic fans and their shroud and the fans and shroud are JUNK, don't use them trust me, you will overheat in traffic if you have a hot build.  THe Champion shroud is the biggest piece of garbage I have ever seen, use it for target practice. It was causing my 505 big block to overheat in open air driving, and by removing it my problem was solved and I dropped 45 degrees (it junk, junk it).

I just dumped the bullshit Chinese fans that hardlly move any air, and was able to get a a 7 blade Hayden Fan to fit, and running about 20 degrees cooler in traffic right off the bat with no shroud. Don't have a part number available on the Hayden Fan, but can tell you call Bob at Glendora Chrsyler, at 715-551-3157, as he is the biggest cooling expert in the in the Midwest, and recommonded I run my Hayden 7 blade fan, and he can get you the part number and the fan is sold by Summit and it will fit (not sure what spacer my mechanic used I think the 1 inch).  :cheers:

Can you post some pics of your rad & fan? That would be helpful.Thanks!

sixpack_sid

I've been doing some more measuring and configuring and figured out that the champion fans w/shroud will not fit. It will be way too close. If the engine moves at all, it will probably hit the fans. I have 2 & 1/2 inches from the rad to the water pump pulley bolt. Can I mount the electric fans directly to the radiator? They sell some aftermarket fans at the local auto parts store and they come with a pull fastener (looks like a cable tie). Has anyone used these? Would it work? I'm kind of hesitant to mount the fans directly to the rad. I would hate to have the fans cut ruin the rad but I think at this point I have no other option.
Sid

GreenMachine

Find an original radiator   :Twocents:

I'm going through the same thing with a 22" Champion 3 row, clutch fan won't fit, solid fixed fan runs hot. And after MAJOR mods to a Dodge intrepid dual electric fan, it still runs hot, 220-230 highway, 220 in traffic. At highway speeds, the fan is out of the equation, which means the rad. can't keep up.

The original radiator in my car was damaged and had a high pressure leak so I thought I'd be money ahead buying an aluminum radiator. After all this, I dropped my rad. off at the shop to see what they can do with it, haven't heard back yet.

Note: this engine stayed 180 with a 180 T stat in normal weather. In the heat of summer 95* F plus it would be about 190* in traffic, in my other car with a stock 26" rad.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

sixpack_sid

I've been back and forth to the auto parts store trying electric fans. I cannot mount a fan on the engine side. So I took 1Bad70Charger's advice and called Summit. They set me up with a 6 blade solid fan & 1/" spacer. I just got it and tried to install it this morning. I definitely do not have room for the spacer. The fan has 1/4 in clearance to the Crank Pulley and 1/2 in space to the rad. Summit recommends 1" space between the fan & rad. I can post pics later if needed.
Can I use the solid fan or should I go back to the auto parts store AGAIN  :brickwall: and get a 16" electric fan to mount as a pusher? Summit's tech line is closed on the weekends-of course!
Please help!

greenpigs

Try a different source of info like Mancinis.

I would go with the electric route but would wait for an answer(from above) before spending anymore money.
:Twocents:
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

sixpack_sid

Quote from: greenpigs on October 08, 2011, 04:05:25 PM
Try a different source of info like Mancinis.

I would go with the electric route but would wait for an answer(from above) before spending anymore money.
:Twocents:

Wait for an answer from above?? You mean God? He doesn't listen to me.

greenpigs

1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

firefighter3931

Sid, part of your problem is the pulley setup you're trying to use with this instalation. Looking at the pics it appears you have later model pullies on this 440.  :scope:

You should have a 2 groove crank pulley ; one groove for waterpump/alternator & the other groove for power steering.  The "deeper" 4 groove crank pulley is causing interference with your fan. You might have to change pullies and the power steering pump brackets if you want to run a mechanical fan  :yesnod:

The other option is to run a single large pusher fan on the front side of the radiator. I use a pusher on mine and it works fine ; I have it set up with a thermostatic switch that kicks on at 160*

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

sixpack_sid

Quote from: firefighter3931 on October 09, 2011, 08:35:53 AM
Sid, part of your problem is the pulley setup you're trying to use with this instalation. Looking at the pics it appears you have later model pullies on this 440.  :scope:

You should have a 2 groove crank pulley ; one groove for waterpump/alternator & the other groove for power steering.  The "deeper" 4 groove crank pulley is causing interference with your fan. You might have to change pullies and the power steering pump brackets if you want to run a mechanical fan  :yesnod:

The other option is to run a single large pusher fan on the front side of the radiator. I use a pusher on mine and it works fine ; I have it set up with a thermostatic switch that kicks on at 160*

Ron

You're right-good eye! I do have a different pulley setup on the car. I needed to change the water pump pulley to have the power steering belt match up. I put a spacer behind the pulley to bring it out far enough to line up. I know I probably should have changed the crank pulley-but I didn't want to do that. I mounted the 6 blade solid fan from Summit and it's not hitting anything, so I'm just going to leave it at that. If it doesn't pull enough air, or hits something else after I get it started, then I'll mount a 16" pusher to the other side of the rad. Thanks for your reply!

firefighter3931

As long as the fan has adequate clearance you will be fine. Those larger pullies worked fine with a fan spacer/clutch setup in a C-Body that has a LOT more room than our tighter Charger engine bays.

Let us know how it works out  :2thumbs:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

ACUDANUT

YES, your water pump pulley is wrong..Flex fans work fine...I do however prefer the Chrysler Viscous fan and clutch from summit.