News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bothers me, how bout you?

Started by Cooter, September 14, 2011, 06:37:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooter

What are some of the things you've seen Done or NOT done to musclecars that just bugs the hell outta you?

Mine would have to be
1. Reverse lights on a damn toggle switch....(Best observed with them on while driving down the road)
2. Kickdown linkage missing from transmission..WTF? Like every single engine that gets pulled the KL MUST be lost, or not hooked back up..
3. Manual shifters in car with NEW CARPET and no hump underneath with one of those Mr. Gasket auto parts stores boots "Installed"...
4. Pieces of actual Road signage POP RIVETED to floorpan, OVER rust...UNDER new carpet.
5. Exhaust run out in front of rear wheels...(Like there's NO ONE that can actually run that 3" over your narrowed rear axle)
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Rolling_Thunder

My biggest pet peeve is when people paint the brake backing plate body color instead of black...      that usually goes hand in hand with painted proportioning valves and brake lines...       
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

Cooter

Another one would have to be the Blackening of everything under the hood like you mentioned Rolling Thunder..(Think GM)
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Troy

Driving around with the factory skinny bias ply tires. Real musclecars (the ones used as intended) didn't have the stock wheel/tire combination on them for more than a week after they were purchased. At least that's what dad tells me. He's also reasonably certain that factory exhausts didn't make it much longer.

Otherwise, I get annoyed by "race-like" parts and stickers plastered on a car that is never raced on the track or street. Your Holley blue pump isn't necessary for trips to the Quicky Mart and those "big 'n littles" are downright dangerous when it comes to panic stops or sudden swerves. Racing harnesses, shifters, battery cut off switches, and monster tachs hiding the instrument panel are other examples.

Open dumps on the exhaust. Stupid idea. Very annoying. Never seen anyone with these actually test the performance - they're too busy blipping the throttle (and driving the rest of us batty) while parked at the cruise-in.

Not quite on subject but... thinking your non-musclecar is a musclecar. Stop "hopping up" Pintos, Gremlins, Pacers, Mustang IIs, and anything with 4 doors - unless you just want to be unique (cuz no one else will bother). That's the ricer equivalent of musclecars. You know, going to Pep Boys and buying everything except a performance part for your car. I guess all the factory "appearance packages" fall into this too. You know the ones where the performance is a joke but the marketing is overboard. The above mentioned late 70s Mustang Cobra, Aspen R/T, and nearly any modern car's "S" model.

Cooter, your list is certainly NOT limited to musclecars!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

twodko

Troy, I don't want you to keep this stuff inside. It's not good for ya!  :icon_smile_big:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Alaskan_TA

I heart bumper stickers.......

Alaskan_TA

vancamp

dont know why but pistol grips in pre 70 cars :rotz:

PA Dodger

Here goes:
1) Posers part 1- waseveryChevy an SS? Seriously, a Malibu SS? A Cavalier SS? It's a 4 door Caprice moron. Don't put SS emblems on it! Wasn't there an SS package for a Chevette? While I'm Chevy bashing, please quit it with the "Z" code abuse. The Z28 was a legendary performance package. Do I need to know your truck has a Z71 off road package? So what! How about the Z38.2 Smokers Group Package on your Cobalt. Blaze that across your hood.
2) Posers part 2- So, you got the Honda Accord all decked out. Ground Effects, Spoilers, Fart can that sounds like a cow at the end of a sewer pipe. Now paint it all one ( or 2 or 3) color already! The black fiberglass isn't impressing me. Next, take the freakin' hubcaps off! And don't stop at the black steel wheels. The black steelies aren't fooling me into believing they are actually BBS's or Borbet. It looks lame.

Quote from: Cooter on September 14, 2011, 06:37:54 PM
What are some of the things you've seen Done or NOT done to musclecars that just bugs the hell outta you?

Mine would have to be
5. Exhaust run out in front of rear wheels...(Like there's NO ONE that can actually run that 3" over your narrowed rear axle)
My first car, a '69 Dart, had this. I could never figure out why my face tingled and everything got fuzzy if I sat at a long red light. :eek2:

Quote from: Troy on September 14, 2011, 08:24:53 PM

Open dumps on the exhaust. Stupid idea. Very annoying. Never seen anyone with these actually test the performance - they're too busy blipping the throttle (and driving the rest of us batty) while parked at the cruise-in.

Troy

Troy, My newest car, a '69 Dart 'vert, came with electric cutouts. Now I sit at red lights with a big stupid grin on my face as I piss off the ricers with 20" subwoofers. :D
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

PA Dodger

If I have to pick on Mopars it would be High Impact colors on the wrong cars. A '67 GTX looks good in copper, not Plum Crazy Purple. A '74 Swinger should be dark green, not Sublime Green. :Twocents: 
To each his own I guess.
'69 Charger / '69 Dart convertible/ '74 Cuda

RallyeMike

We all have our certain tastes. It's just a a car, and what the current owner has done, can most likely be undone by the next owner, so I don't fret too much.

Safety items I have a problem with. I still remember the idiot from high-school that drove around with one working brake on his car. An unsafe car is not just the owners problem!  :RantExplode:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Darkman

Quote from: Rolling_Thunder on September 14, 2011, 07:12:15 PM
My biggest pet peeve is when people paint the brake backing plate body color instead of black...      that usually goes hand in hand with painted proportioning valves and brake lines...       

Quote from: Cooter on September 14, 2011, 07:55:57 PM
Another one would have to be the Blackening of everything under the hood like you mentioned Rolling Thunder..(Think GM)

What would you say if the car was black? What colour should you paint the engine bay then?  :nana:  :stirthepot:
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

Tilar

Quote from: PA Dodger on September 14, 2011, 09:59:17 PM

Troy, My newest car, a '69 Dart 'vert, came with electric cutouts. Now I sit at red lights with a big stupid grin on my face as I piss off the ricers with 20" subwoofers. :D

:lol:  That would definitley be an advantage to electric cutouts.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

tan top

Quote from: Tilar on September 15, 2011, 04:17:37 AM
Quote from: PA Dodger on September 14, 2011, 09:59:17 PM

:lol:  That would definitley be an advantage to electric cutouts.

:lol:  good one  :yesnod: 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bill440rt

1) Colored convoluted plastic tubing covering every hose imaginable under the hood, with clashing cheapo anodized hose clamp covers.  :eek2:  :puke:

2) Lame chrome disc brake "simulators" seen through the wheels. FAIL.

3) A car having a real nice stock resto on it, yet everything is screwed together by incorrect hardware store nuts n bolts. Or worse, leaving the hardware rusty & cruddy. Details are everything, people.

4) Red heater hoses and worm clamps. You might was well just not wipe properly.  :brickwall:

5) Adhesive stick-on chrome moldings, such as around the wheel openings. Did you REALLY think no one would notice they're fake?  :scratchchin:

6) Painting the rear axle housing yellow, or some other gawd awful color. 1980 is over.   :icon_smile_dissapprove:

7) Crimp connectors left exposed. You've taken the time to repair your wiring harness. At least try to improve the appearance by covering them with black heat shrink tubing or something. It's almost as bad as #1.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

41husk

#1 people who are bothered by things other people choose to do with there car

#2 People who spend long periods of time giving me wrong and some times stupid info about my cars. ie.  "I had a 74 Challenger convertible. It came stock with 440 hemi" or "Dodge never made that"

#3 People who have mopars sitting in yards rotting and refuse to sell, restore or even cover up :RantExplode:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

#1) Big "dub" wheels on muscle cars.

#2) Half ass repairs or workmanship.

#3) Little minor things that don't work properly and rattles.

My engine bay is black, and although not correct I think it accents and adds a nice contrast to a vehicle. 

resq302

-Probably the thing that irritates me is when people jack up the front of the vehicle and lower the rear. 
-Second most irritating thing is the lambo doors on a non lamborghini.  Putting those kind of doors on a honda or newer changnum does not improve its speed or handling!
-Oversized rims with rubber bands for tires!  To me, thats a bent rim or blow out looking to happen somewhere!.
-Lowering a 4x4 vehicle.   Kinda defeats the purpose of being able to go off road now doesn't it?
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Stretch

Lots of stuff but I'll start with....

1) Anything half-assed together.

2) shackle jacks! (They look like shit and hurt the cars handling. You need new springs)!

3) fake pistol grip auto shifters. If you like them thats fine but in my opinon it screams "King of cheese"

4) Air shocks. (They make the car ride like .... and handle like.... Not to mention your carring the cars load where it was never intended to support it! You need new springs)!

5) stickers all over the interior. (or car)

6) non blacked out rad. core supports

Thank God those tackyass day glow multi wiper blade things are gone!!! You know the ones. they had fins to "Hold the wippers on the glass at speed"

I absolutly hate to see a beautiful car with wires hanging loosly. exhauset not tiddy and stright. Or worse yet flex pipe. You spent $90,000 on this thing and only had 15 bucks left for the exhaust???

There is a guy in town with a stunning '66 satsatellite Hemi 4 speed car. All restored with "correct " parts and he has $100.00 worth of aftermarket chrome wheels on it. Makes me nuts!

This one is my biggest. The guy who has any clone car and is passing it off, openly as a "real" car. I'm not stupid! I can read your Vin!  Clones are cool right up untill you lie about it!!!

If I offended anyone by any of this I'm sorry. This is all just my opinion!
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

Back N Black

For me its the bush guard on a General Lee, that looks retarded, it should be on a 4X4.  :rotz:

68pplcharger

People that turn their car into a "race car" and cut out the wheel wells to fit some enormous tires that stick out past the side of the car.  :slap:

A huge aftermarket tachometer, mounted on the A pillar, in a stock four cylinder anything... Wow better keep an eye on the rpm's with that kind of horsepower.

The wing large enough to fly a plane under. I'm sure when they hit there top speed of 120 or so they really need the downforce to keep the car on the road. They also need that downforce to keep the wheel from spinning when they hit that max horsepower at these tremendous speeds(180 hp if it's lucky). I'm sure they just feather the gas at lower speeds.

Just to name a few more...

Quote from: vancamp on September 14, 2011, 09:33:55 PM

Sorry man I'll have one... I like the 68 year better and they didn't include my car in the raindeer games. :nana:

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: Troy on September 14, 2011, 08:24:53 PM

Troy

We did on a dyno , picked 3 RWHP with the dumps open !! :smilielol:
I can appreciate the subwoofer purpose though !
Leaving cars sitting unprotected & rotting & will not sell is the worst ,   71 Cuda 100001 is in this condition

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: vancamp on September 14, 2011, 09:33:55 PM
Yeah that is annoying but I understand the love of it, to bend the rules.
I have to laugh because my kickdown linkage was missing and it took me 3 years to get it done and correct.
Also my reverse lights don't work. Cant figure it out?  If I put a new 35.00 back up switch in the trani, it works for a month. Then the lamps stay lit all the time?  I replaced it twice. Twice they worked fine. For a month.  :eek2:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

69 OUR/TEA

Chargers with the front end to low, ::),come on people grab the 3/4'' socket and ratchet and bring the front end up to normal ride hight somewhere above 22''  to the top of the wheel well opening !!!!

oldcarnut

Lowering the car/truck so much they can't go over railroad tracks or bumps in the road without almost slamming on the brakes in traffic and worst annoyance are sub-woofers playing so loud their car and mine rattles in traffic. Wish I had a push button device that would take care of that  ;)
It would be another thread but stupid people on mopeds

aussiemuscle

Quote from: resq302 on September 15, 2011, 09:26:22 AM
-Second most irritating thing is the lambo doors on a non lamborghini. 
so lame, even Lamborghini don't do it any more!

Chris G.

1. Rallye wheels on pre '70 Darts and Barracudas.
2. Dukes paint scheme on non '69 Chargers.
3. The short midget dolls peeking into the fender or grille on cars. I think it's almost dead now, but there's still some weirdos out there who rock 'em.
4. Pretty much anything ricer related like tow hooks on some crap box so it makes people think he has some hot drag car or whatever. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

All my own pet peeves, don't take it personal.

Brock Lee

"Git 'er Done"

How about you "Go to Hell".