News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Partial Fender Tag Decode

Started by auxiliarytwin, July 24, 2011, 08:35:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

auxiliarytwin

Hey all, just picked up a 72 Charger SE Brougham and am having trouble decoding part of the fender tag.  Maybe someone here can help, I listed it below.

P6XW  EW1  125

The paint code portion confuses me because it says that the car is Eggshell White, but the car looks to be B3 Blue (Super Blue) originally.  It also casts doubt because if the car were White, why would it have the codes for a White Vinyl Top and a White Stripe (V1W and V7W).  Triple White Car?

Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Ghoste

Triple white isn't so unusual as some of the other combo's I've seen so why not?

Alaskan_TA

Location on the tag is key here. Assuming that P6XW  EW1  125 are in that order on the second line up;

P - Premium price class
6 - Vinyl bucket seats
XW - Interior colors

EW1 - Upper door frame paint.

125 - Scheduled production date, January 25th 1972.

auxiliarytwin

Thanks, yeah the I got it a little wrong, the paint code is GB5, Bright Blue Metallic.

It has the stripe code V7W, is this the stripe that runs up over the hood?  Or a longitudinal stripe?  Posting a pic would be amazing too if anyone can.

Thanks again for the decode.

1972Rallye

Just to add to what Barry posted...

"EW1 - Upper door frame paint" - in this case, it means the area between the interior door panel and the weatherstrip. It was painted to match the interior color on some combos to avoid seeing a contrasting body color from inside the car.

Here is a pic of V7W on a '72 SE:

minncharger

Hey 1972Rallye, regarding your pic of the 72 S/E with the V7W code.
Do you know if this car also has the V1W Full Vinyl Top?

I have a Blue 71 S/E with the V7W Accent Stripe and V1W Full Vinyl top code and I was wondering if the 71 and 72 would look the same.

My S/E's previous owner removed the Vinyl and painted it so the car is now all Blue.

I am debating on whether to put the White Vinyl back (or Paint the roof white).
Then adding the stripe would make it look close to your picture except with Blue.

auxiliarytwin

Does the car still have the Vinyl Top Trim surrounding the car?  If not it may be hard to go back as the there were metal studs that were welded into the C Pillar, which were removed...if no more Vinyl Top Trim.

1972Rallye

Quote from: minncharger on September 26, 2011, 10:10:48 PM
Hey 1972Rallye, regarding your pic of the 72 S/E with the V7W code.
Do you know if this car also has the V1W Full Vinyl Top?

I have a Blue 71 S/E with the V7W Accent Stripe and V1W Full Vinyl top code and I was wondering if the 71 and 72 would look the same.

My S/E's previous owner removed the Vinyl and painted it so the car is now all Blue.

I am debating on whether to put the White Vinyl back (or Paint the roof white).
Then adding the stripe would make it look close to your picture except with Blue.
No, the stripe shown above is '72 only.  The '71 stripe follows the top character line - like this (car shown has original paint):