News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Ralley Cluster (?)

Started by RallyeMike, September 13, 2011, 12:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RallyeMike

This might be a goofy question, but the heck is a 69 Charger "Ralley" cluster? It's been awhile since I owned a 2nd gen...... I think I have forgotten more than I used to know about them. I' trying to re-edumacate myself now that I have one to play with again...

I have seen several references to "Ralley" clusters for 2nd gens. 69 Charger dashes are all the same except for the tach option or woodgrain vs black plastic. Right?    :shruggy:

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Cooter

I think it's just a reference word the average [Less intelligent person] uses to describe the Standard "Ralley" Cluster as all Charger Clusters were technically, "Ralley" clusters. I guess one COULD argue that the "Ralley" had the Tic-Toc-Tach in 'em and the "Standard?" Cluster had the clock??

IMO, it was only considered a "Ralley" cluster when installed in a Super Bee...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Brock Lee

In the 2nd gen B body world, the Ralley dash is the one with the round gauges, either with or without a tach. The non-ralley dash has a large rectangular speedometer. Chargers always had a Ralley dash in this era. I see in the 69 databook, in the Coronet section they refer to it as a "sports-car type instrument panel from the Charger".

b5blue

69 has grain type bezel pattern as does 70, 68 pattern is ribbed lines. 68-69 have a rocker type flasher switch next to brake warning light and on 70's it is a push pull switch just in front of the ignition switch on the column. So 68-69 have ignition switch on the right lower dash pad next to the column, also these years glove box doors swing up to open whereas 70 swings down. Further more the 68 heater control is slightly different with markings for levers on a chrome strip that extends down in front of the slider controls, 69-70 are marked on the control itself. There are even more slight differences, like 68 side A/C vents made of pot-metal instead of plastic and the shape of the 68 upper dash pad less peaked then 69-70, "I think" (As I've not compared lately.) and the tiny bulls-eye emblem by the speedo on 68's. So when you see listings somewhere for parts that fit 68-69-70 Charger dashes you need to be careful as not many are really the same.

Troy

As mentioned, all 68-70 Chargers had the round Ralley (Rally, Rallye?) gauges while most other models got a standard gauge set with the super wide (rectangular) speedometer. In the other model lines, only the special versions were available with them (Super Bee, Roadrunner, GTX, Coronet R/T, etc.). It may have been optional elsewhere as well - definitely once the E-bodies came around.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

RallyeMike

Ok, I'm not losing it yet. Good to know!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/