News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WARNING: DISTURBING IMAGES inside of my '69 Charger....

Started by elanmars, September 12, 2011, 05:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Quote from: C5X DAYTONA on September 18, 2011, 02:27:13 AM
Can someone donate an old Imperial to science..    I know they are banned in most demo derby's.  I don't think any new cars are......      :Twocents:

Actually, new cars are rarely used and often are banned from demo derbies for the opposite reason: they fall apart too easy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demolition_derby

"Competitors have traditionally used full-size, American made sedans, and station wagons, especially those from the 1960s and 70s,[1] which were larger, heavier, and had more robust frames than later full-size vehicles. The 1964-1966 Chrysler Imperial achieved near-legendary status for its crashworthiness, and is still banned from most derby events.[4][7] Scrap vehicles are purchased from junkyards and private owners,[1] usually for less than US$500, though some select (and rust-free) mid-1970s sedans, and station wagons, may go for more than $1,000. A vehicle may be patched up and re-used for several events.

With the dwindling availability of these older vehicles, smaller full-sized vehicles of the 1980s and 1990s are more frequently encountered today. A separate class of demolition derby for compact cars is increasing in popularity. Compact car events have the advantages of an abundant supply of usable vehicles, which also tend to be more mobile and thus, more entertaining to fans. Being largely front-wheel drive, their back ends can sustain considerable amounts of damage before the vehicle is immobilized. However, this increased speed, coupled with the fact that compact cars tend to be less crashworthy, makes injuries more frequent."

lookin@my68

Wow! Glad you came out of that ok! All the best with your recovery :cheers:

Bobs69

When you started this thread those first few pictures looked like old photos that had been scanned.  Were they from a phone or what?

I bet you woke up stiff for a few days after.
Thank the man upstairs.
Get another charger project.

oldcarnut

Quote from: redmist on September 17, 2011, 11:18:20 PM
These old cars are cool, but ARE NOT more safe then any modern car...  at ANY angle of a hit, sorry folks! I love them also, but the old "I would rather be in an old car wrapped in iron." Is right up there with the "I would rather be thrown clear of the accident then wear a seatbelt." statement. Just silly!   :brickwall:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMK1WZjP7g
I remember that one being discussed in a lot of forums.  Hemidog posted a pic of a Charger crushed like an accordion.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,61727.0.html

RallyeMike

QuoteActually, new cars are rarely used and often are banned from demo derbies for the opposite reason: they fall apart too easy.

I'm sure there are other ex-demo drivers here who can chime in:

New cars are meant to take a crash once and crumple around the passenger compartment, sacrificing everything else. Then all the air bags, crumple zone, etc. are useless. Old cars have volume, steel, and rear wheel drive. FWD is useless in demo - one hit on a front tire and you are done. The old cars can be hit over and over and over again and keep on ticking, with proper preparation. Yes, they don't just take them out drive in circles - there are many tricks to keep these cars going as long as they do. And remember too - a demo hit is typically a relatively low-speed collision.

QuoteCan someone donate an old Imperial to science..    I know they are banned in most demo derby's.  I don't think any new cars are......

Imperials are banned by some organizations because 1) They are build like trucks all around, 2) They have a front frame section is nearly indestructible. When you demo and Imperial, you drive forward, not backward!

Speaking to elanmars Charger and the ability for a 2nd gen Charger to take a hit.... I have seen only one 2nd gen Charger derbied, and it did not last long. Of course it may have had to do with car preparation and driver error. Who in their right mind would demo a 2nd gen Charger ?!
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

elanmars

thank you for the kind words and props, everyone. i really appreciate it. it's been a week but i'm still beat up, still walking like a zombie. getting surgery for some of the fractures soon, otherwise i'll most likely develop double vision and a wonky eye.

Quote from: Bobs69 on September 18, 2011, 07:30:05 AM
When you started this thread those first few pictures looked like old photos that had been scanned.  Were they from a phone or what?

I bet you woke up stiff for a few days after.
Thank the man upstairs.
Get another charger project.

taken with an iphone and i used the free app called instagram, which has a few filters to use photos with.

1969 Dodge Charger, pseudo General Lee., 1973 ratty Dodge Charger.

check out my photography: http://www.tomasraul.com
instagram: tomasraul
facebook: www.facebook.com/tomasraulphotography

Vainglory, Esq.

QuoteThese new Saabs got Headlights that cost upto $1,000 each. A car will get exspensive to repair quick with $1,000 headlights, $1,000 front chrome Bumper or $3,000 front bumper on vette. Thats the way the big 3 wants it, thats why they make replacement parts so exspensive. So you can junk that new car & buy a new one. Keeps them in Business.  Twocents  LEON.

Nah, it's regulations.  The government-imposed requirements would make a multi-volume book big enough to fit a whole bookshelf.  Back in the day, the rules used to say "it needs to have headlights," now it says 8,000 pages about exactly what those headlights can and cannot be.

Note that I'm not saying that this makes modern cars worse, but even inflation-adjusted they are a damn sight more expensive.

Vainglory, Esq.

Oh, and now I feel like a dick because I forgot to say:

Glad you survived man, and best wishes for a quick and complete recovery.

Stretch

We can still run I merials here. We win most every year. The car is a '66 imperial it's been through 5 years of demos through the heats and features. I'll post some pics of it. People run and hide from this car at the demos!
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

nh_mopar_fan

ChargerSG

Glad to see that youre ok :cheers:
I crashed my White 69 and myself(there is a thread somewhere) was nothing comperd to your hit. I saved that Charger and it was not worth it :rotz:
Looking for 383 Magnum #0B196875 and 0B115166

Bobs69

Maybe you should keep a piece of that car somewhere you can see it.  Probably help you to put thing into persepective when you are feeling down.   

Of course, I'm one to talk, but the advice I think is still good.

mauve66

Quote from: Bobs69 on September 22, 2011, 09:19:05 PM
Maybe you should keep a piece of that car somewhere you can see it.  Probably help you to put thing into persepective when you are feeling down.   

Of course, I'm one to talk, but the advice I think is still good.

see, i'm not the only one to say that, would make a wonderful flower garden, FLOWER POWER!!!!
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

dads_69

Holy smokes, what a crash. Glad to hear your alive and well at least. I didn't read through the complete 6 pages, but did you buy that car from Travis by chance? Looks like one he owned a while ago. I've been in some nasty wrecks myself, but man, thank god nothing that terrbile.
Best of luck to a healthy life and a new ride.
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

Bobs69

Keep a piece of that car mounted someplace like a badge of honor.  Say yup I survived that.  Looks like you live in a nice subdivision or else I'd be tempted to do what Mauve66 said.  flower planter!  After all it's still a charger!  Keep your VIN and owner ship etc.  You never know.

KS71owner

DAMN that is one hell of a wreck. Glad you made it out.

My mom got T-boned in her 98 neon by an Airborne Express truck a few years back, and she was in the hospital for a couple weeks. She ended up with a broken pelvis that put her in a wheelchair for about 8 weeks. Her Neon looked about like your Charger; they had to cut her out of it.

I had a close shave in my '71 about 8 years ago when a garbage truck ran a light as I was about to cross an intersection. And it was one of those with the forks in front. Yikes. If I hadn't seen the guy next to me slam on his brakes out of the corner of my eye, I'd have been a very large kebab.

Fred

Quote from: 41husk on September 12, 2011, 05:27:51 PM
Thank God you are alright!!!  I think the car will buff out :icon_smile_big: Sorry!! I couldn't resist :shruggy:

I know I shouldn't :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: but that was funny!

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

Fred

Far out!  I've never seen anything like it. The fact that you walked away is a blessing. Glad to hear there's no lasting damage and that you will be fine.
So sad about the car.  :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

mauve66

Quote from: Bobs69 on September 23, 2011, 10:14:41 PM
Keep a piece of that car mounted someplace like a badge of honor.  Say yup I survived that.  Looks like you live in a nice subdivision or else I'd be tempted to do what Mauve66 said.  flower planter!  After all it's still a charger!  Keep your VIN and owner ship etc.  You never know.

you can still put it in the backyard to view during BBQ's
Robert-Las Vegas, NV

NEEDS:
body work
paint - mauve and black
powder coat wheels - mauve and black
total wiring
PW
PDLKS
Tint
trim
engine - 520/540, eddy heads, 6pak
alignment

elanmars

Quote from: dads_69 on September 23, 2011, 10:06:03 PM
Holy smokes, what a crash. Glad to hear your alive and well at least. I didn't read through the complete 6 pages, but did you buy that car from Travis by chance? Looks like one he owned a while ago. I've been in some nasty wrecks myself, but man, thank god nothing that terrbile.
Best of luck to a healthy life and a new ride.

thank you (and all of you!)

anyway-yup, bought it from travis 2+ years ago as he doesn't live far from me. i had gotten parts from him for my previous '69, i knew he had it for sale but i wasn't really interested until the second time i went by, i was surprised it hadn't sold. at the time my daughter was still cooking-know the white Charger was the car Travis liked to use the most with his kids, having ac and all, well, it was the right way to go for me. sold the Charger I had for way more than i put into it (it's now a general lee).

the owners before Travis didn't do the best job with the mechanical aspect of the car, pretty much everything was working as a time bomb, so i had to deal with a lot of gremlins and things my friends (my friend jason and his dad, who restore mopars to show/factory condition and have won a lot of prizes, been on MCGs, his dad does workshops at the nats, etc), when working on the car, just blew their mind how half-assed and right down disturbing and stupid some things had been done to that car. but it was solid, it was my daily after all!!

my daughter does loves the Charger and going in rides (and sleeping in it too). when she first saw it once I got it back from the towing place, she said "aw dada's car is broken. we fix it!" haha.

elanmars

and a minor update-just had surgery below my left eye/cheek, which also prevents the issue of having double vision down the road. all went well, it was at a very nice hospital nearby, was spoiled by very good looking nurses, served great food, chilled. i'm back home. continue to rest and chill, can get on the computer for a while, watch tv.

recuperating overall a bit better, it still takes strength and a lot of juice to do normal things like walk around and such but slowly but surely i'm getting better. there's one more surgery left-to fix minor fractures on my nose-not noticeable on the surface-and barely noticeable through cat scans but it's there. i can breathe just fine but it's just another thing to take care of and thankfully it's not biggie. after that, whenever that will be, then i can be on the road of full recuperation and that'll be great.

so far so good anyway.

as always, thanks for all the comments, highly appreciate it.

suntech

Good to hear that you are ok, or at least will be ok! That charger (and you) took a serious hit!!
Since we only live once, and all this is not just a dressed rehearsal, but the real thing............ Well, enjoy it!!!!

dads_69

Your more than welcome, just beyond glad your still around after a crash like such. Best wishes with surgery (s) and I'm sure Travis has another charger just laying around waiting for you, haha. Afterall, isn't he like the charger god still? haha......man he's owned a lot of them.
Hey, you can hate the game but don't hate the player.

7thGENERAL

Quote from: BB1 on September 12, 2011, 05:34:16 PM
Thank God you were in a Charger, not a Honda. Being alive is a good way to be.
right...i hear about gas prices all the time well damit its worth it if my car uses more gas as long as my family will make it through a wreck if it happens!
thank the lord your ok..i hope the driver of the truck get whats coming to him ive seen a lot of 68-70 chargers destroyed lately by trucks