News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

help decode my 68 rt build sheet

Started by Dentbusters, March 17, 2007, 11:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dentbusters

Please help decode my buildsheet. Specifically the correct wheels and tires. As that is what I would like to purchase right now in my long process of restoration.

Thanks
Travis

Just 6T9 CHGR

Anyway to make the pic larger?   cant help much on the 68 sheets but a larger pic might help others help you...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

dkn1997

I recently found my 68 sheet too.  I would love to find a site to punch numbers in or a guide of some sort.

OH yeah, everyone talks about the sheets being under the carpet or under the bottom of the back seat....I found mine on the vertical part of the back seat.  If I had not been installing 3 point belts in the rear, I may never have found it.
RECHRGED

UFO

This should help you.

UFO

Dentbusters

Dentbusters

Wheels??
The number hub caps or wheel covers is 580. Which points to road wheels. So does that mean it came with hub caps? the numbers under build codes for the wheels is 300. Wheel covers the number is 98. What is the correct set up?
Thanks
Travis

UFO

To decode some of the numbers you will need a parts book.Last few digits relate to the part number.
Without a 68 parts book I would say all your car had was the hubcaps(aslo called dogdishs).

UFO

Your car did come with code 580.(had to enlarge pic)In the tail of the letter "R".The setup is 14x5.5 chrome road(magnum500)wheels.

Magnumcharger

Gee...that's some good information there!
Might help somebody make a new data tag too!  ;D
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Dentbusters

So it did have the magnum wheels. Why is there numbers under the hubcaps section. Do these numbers point to the magnums also? The tires code is 44 which states 70 14s. Are these the redwall tires?

Heres my car. My shop caught fire. Luckily the car survived without a scratch, just got a bath and smells like smoke. I found the car in a barn competely numbers match. The only thing not original on the car were the wheels and someone put an electronic distributer set up on it. Thankfully it has the build sheet. Hopefully With the help of fellow charger fans we can put this car back to the way it came from the factory.

Thanks
Travis

UFO

So what are you(magnumcharger)saying? I`m not the only one who has this info.
What about your post in another thread stating "share the wealth".

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Dentbusters on March 18, 2007, 08:13:34 PM
Why is there numbers under the hubcaps section. Do these numbers point to the magnums also? The tires code is 44 which states 70 14s. Are these the redwall tires?

If you look at the sales options in the 58* series for wheels, the Chrome Road wheels would be the only option that doesn't actually refer to a hub cap or wheel cover. It was probably just administrativly easier to code the chrome road wheel in this section.

The Chrome Road wheel is confirmed in the second to last line under wheel=300. Thsi would be the last part of the actual PN.

Yes, Code 44 = F70 red wall tires.

I got your message.

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

hemigeno

I have never understood Chrysler's self-inflicted confusion on the Broadcast Sheet codes.  You'd think that the codes would always be linked to either the Part Number or the Sales Code.  Unfortunately, that's not always the case, and these wheels are a classic example.

The P/N for the '67-'68 Magnum 500 wheel is actually 2823840, however the B-Sheet code is 300 and the Sales Code is 580 (as have already been mentioned).

The P/N for the Center Cap is 2832842, but the B-Sheet code is 98 (no sales code for that, since they automatically come with the 580 wheels).

:flame:

It remains a mystery to me what convoluted logic they sometimes used when it came to these codes, but there's no doubt - this car had the chromed Magnum 500 wheels on it.

Magnumcharger

Quote from: UFO on March 18, 2007, 08:21:54 PM
So what are you(magnumcharger)saying? I`m not the only one who has this info.
What about your post in another thread stating "share the wealth".

Hmmmm.....relax? Um-kay?
I'm the one making a new data tag....and I asked on previous threads for the above information...which has finally found it's way to me.
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,23308.0.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,24785.0.html
I'm all about "sharing the wealth". Maybe others aren't. (?)
Or maybe I was just waiting for you...
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

ds440

Okay I have a question.

I have 3/4 of my buildsheet.  The area (on the third row) that has the wheel code is missing.  However, I do have the lower area under "BUILD CODES" listed as "wheel - 16W" and "wheel covers - 07."  Is it possible to determine the which hubcaps these are?  Or do I need the upper number as well.

Any help is appreciated. ;)
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

hemigeno

The "07" is the code for the 2768007 hubcaps, which are the Dodge Division stainless-steel dog dish hubcaps for 1968.  I don't have the code for what "16W" is, but I'd be betting really high that it's a stamped steel wheel of some sort.  "23" was the code for the 15" H-wheels, so I know it's not those - it's probably the code for 14" x 5.5" stamped steelies.

:Twocents:

ds440

Thanks a million, geno! :2thumbs:

For the longest time I thought that I'd never know what wheels I had.  Now I know! ;D

Edit:  I was wondering if the 'W' in '16W' means white?  The car was originally white.  I've seen cars with both white and black dogdishes...so it has to be one of those two....?
1968 Charger R/T, 440 auto.

hemigeno

Quote from: ds440 on March 19, 2007, 07:40:51 PM
Edit:  I was wondering if the 'W' in '16W' means white?  The car was originally white.  I've seen cars with both white and black dogdishes...so it has to be one of those two....?

I think you're right, and that it does mean white.  I started to write that in my earlier reply, but I'm not really up on the '68 format.  For '69, the first digit of the color doesn't tell you exactly what shade it is, but I guess in '68 and earlier it does - and if that is the case, then a one digit suffix would tell the line worker exactly what wheel color was supposed to be used. 

I'm just too used to working with the '69 codes, so the '68 codes are like working with a foreign language.  I also couldn't remember which color your car was either...  :icon_smile_blackeye:

The70RT

Quote from: Dentbusters on March 18, 2007, 08:13:34 PM
So it did have the magnum wheels. Why is there numbers under the hubcaps section. Do these numbers point to the magnums also? The tires code is 44 which states 70 14s. Are these the redwall tires?

Heres my car. My shop caught fire. Luckily the car survived without a scratch, just got a bath and smells like smoke. I found the car in a barn competely numbers match. The only thing not original on the car were the wheels and someone put an electronic distributer set up on it. Thankfully it has the build sheet. Hopefully With the help of fellow charger fans we can put this car back to the way it came from the factory.

Thanks
Travis

Looks like icesickels hanging from the top side in the pic?
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bob T

Old thread with life in it still.
Thanks guys , very helpfull  :2thumbs:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.