News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Classic Car Auctions

Started by The Arrow, September 12, 2011, 02:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Arrow

I'm wanting to take my 69 Charger to auction. There are several coming up - in Chicago (Mecum, this weekend), Carlisle at the end of the month, and Toronto next month, just to name a few.

Just wondering if any of you follow them enough to know which ones generally fetch the best prices? Do Florida auctions fetch more than Toronto ones? Do Spring auctions bring higher prices than the Fall ones? Any difference between auction companies - such as Mecum and Auction America?

Thanks,

Dave

Ghoste

As an employee of the company doing the Carlisle and Toronto one, I can tell you that there is a lot of hit and miss to the musclecar auctions.  The high end classic type auctions have very defined areas and times where cars should be sent but the musclecar stuff seems to be puzzling sometimes.  Things you think should draw enormous money fall flat on their face and turds sometimes break the bank.

TheAutoArchaeologist

I will be at Mecum in St. Charles Friday and Saturday. 

The Arrow

How do reserves influence the bidding? It seems to me that those cars entered with reserves seem to discourage bids and often don't sell (even when they're still a good deal)?, yet I'd hate to risk it without.

Ghoste

Put a reserve and make sure you are there to drop it if you are satisfied with the bids.  A truly great car will seldom need a reserve and conversely, there are also a lot of people who stick to insanely high reserves.

TheAutoArchaeologist

With Mecum, if a car doesn't make reserve, you can go and contact the owner and work it out through Mecum.  A friend got a sweet deal on a 69 RR that way.

Ghoste

We do that too.  I imagine everyone else does as well.

Big Sugar

Hey Dave:

Seen your car a few times as well as in a Magazine article, I'll be absolutly honest with you, At Auction it's a risky game, with a high swing rate, either you'll do really poorly or the right buyers will show up and you'll get more than expected, You gotta be ready for anything.

I will say this though Your not going to attract a strong crowd with the  grapics you have on the Charger.
Although it has meaning to you and you love to share it and your vision with others it'll knock a significant amount off the price of the car just because it may turn others off.
   So I would suggest if your serious about selling the Charger, get it to a neutral look, and save the personalized history and story for the photo albums.

Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

Big Sugar

By the way it is a beautiful Charger, Nice that it's in white as well, Should get 30+ I would think no worries, But the market is a little finiky now, don't rush the sale, it'll sell
for close to what you want.

Good Luck.
My daughter just started college as well, another one in two years.
Ron

[img]<table border="0" cellpadding="0" style="border-collapse: collapse" width="182" id="table1" height="202" bordercolorlight="#ECEBF1" bordercolordark="#E9DFD1" b

The Arrow

I hear what you're saying, Ron. There's a much larger market of people out there who are oblivious to the Avro Arrow and the significance of my design.

Yet, the few times I've run it on eBay before, I've had some serious Arrow fans comment on how it knocked their breath away. They've come close to reaching my reserve, and one is coming out to film it for a documentary.

I just figured I'd keep it for those that it did appeal to, and those who didn't like it could just peel it off.

I don't get it though. The same guys who will spend months or years, and craploads of money, beefing up an engine or finessing the bodywork, are scared away from having to peel off vinyl stickers. What's with that??? Again, I understand how and why many guys don't like 'em, but I don't for the life of me understand why it would affect a sale.

But, that said, I think I'll be removing its uniform if it doesn't sell this time 'round on eBay. Then I'll hang the torn up vinyl strips around my neck to ward off evil spirits!  ;)

Thanks for chiming in!

Dave

Ghoste

Because people typically make the initial purchase in their imagination and the thing that triggers that is the first sighting.  If they see a blank canvas they get much more excited than they do something that is already done in another persons fashion.  This is especially true of auctions where the impulse buyer is the guy you are trying to reach.

Aero426

Quote from: The Arrow on September 13, 2011, 08:03:54 PM
Yet, the few times I've run it on eBay before, I've had some serious Arrow fans comment on how it knocked their breath away.

Yes, all five of them.   The rest of the world doesn't know what an Avro Aero, or Arrow, or whatever it is, is.    This is going to affect bids you receive, unless the bidder happens to be an aviation wank in Canada that "gets it".     This is like selling a house, and personalization is always dicey.   Most buyers will not visualize themselves driving that car with those graphics.     I know you really enjoy the car the way it is, and it is your vision.  But I would say you would be better off removing the graphics and eliminating what you already know is a potential objection right off the bat.  

Also, fix the easy stuff, like your $5 door pull you mentioned in your ad.   Did you say that the headlights have to be closed manually?   Is the heater box not hooked up and functioning?  You will never get top money with systems that should work, and don't.   The photos in your DC.com ad with the headlight doors open scream, "My headlight doors don't work".

At the moment, I think the choice of auction venue is less important than making your car present as well as possible to the average potential buyer.     :cheers:

The Arrow

Quote from: Aero426 on September 14, 2011, 11:10:20 AM
Quote from: The Arrow on September 13, 2011, 08:03:54 PM
Yet, the few times I've run it on eBay before, I've had some serious Arrow fans comment on how it knocked their breath away.

Yes, all five of them.   The rest of the world doesn't know what an Avro Aero, or Arrow, or whatever it is, is.    This is going to affect bids you receive, unless the bidder happens to be an aviation wank in Canada that "gets it".

I have more American friends than I do Canadian and, generally speaking, I get along with them better. But you, my friend, are the poster boy for the rude and ugly American. Unfortunately the standard by which many other Canadians measure your countrymen.

maxwellwedge

I think it was more constructive criticism than rudeness.

I am an avid Arrow fan but that car is YOUR car - Not a car for the masses.

:Twocents:

The Arrow

I think Aero may be surprised to learn how many "aviation wanks" there are up here in Canada.

Bottom line is, guys, THEY PEEL OFF!  Presto, it a plain white car again. Why not leave them on in case someone does like them, and if not, it takes them all but 10 minutes to change it? (Of course if I took it to auction in the States I'd remove them myself first, since the likelihood of anyone there appreciating the significance is extremely low.)

Aero426

Arrow,  I was attempting to be very direct and honest, not rude.  

At the end of the day, this is about the best way to sell your car and get the most money.

Honestly, I had to look up what the heck the plane was.  I like planes, but I've never heard of it, and I am sure I am not alone.    

If you have to explain the livery to people, you are likely limiting your buyer pool.

pettybird

Quote from: The Arrow on September 14, 2011, 11:20:31 AM
But you, my friend, are the poster boy for the rude and ugly American. Unfortunately the standard by which many other Canadians measure your countrymen.

You've never been to New Jersey, have you?

You're like one of those boneheads on TV who has to sell their house but leave all of the rooms blood red and bright purple because they think they'll find someone else with their exact tastes.  Sure...but will they have a checkbook AND a need for your Avro? 

If you'd like to continue failing at selling your car, by all means keep up the good work.  If you'd really like it gone, do as others have suggested and fix the stupid stuff, peel off the graphics, and strongly consider ditching the Vectors for magnum 500's or torq thrusts or something.  Even with the decals gone it will still look like you painted your general lee the wrong color. 

Being told what you don't want to hear, especially when the advice is sound, doesn't make me ugly.  It means you're stubborn. 

RECHRGD

Arrow...I don't think anyone is being intentionally rude.  Quite the opposite actually.  They're trying to help you get top dollar for the car, that's all.  The only input I have is a question.  How long have the decals been on the car?  If it's been a few years there may be a slight color difference under them when removed.  That may also be what a potential bidder may wonder.  Bob
13.53 @ 105.32

Brock Samson

Wow Arrow - i think your feelings got hurt,  :pity: but 426 was spot on... I 've always admired your car since you came on here many years ago..
But it's to your taste not most others.. insulting folks trying to share their objective opinion is probably not the best route.
Good luck. and no offence intended... another ugly Americun...  :shruggy:

twodko

Arrow, if you're so adverse to others' point of view, don' ask for opinions. Yours does not appear to be the voice moderation. :shruggy:

And another ugly American here too!
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

The Arrow

It was the tone and the language that bothered me, not the message. You guys seem to have missed the point.

It's not necessary to insult a country, their heritage, and aviation buffs in general to make your point.

Aero426

Quote from: The Arrow on September 14, 2011, 01:57:25 PM
It's not necessary to insult a country, their heritage, and aviation buffs in general to make your point.

My intention was illustrate in not so subtle terms that you are attempting to market your car to a VERY limited audience.   Not only that, but those who indeed had their "breath taken away" either do not have any money, or they are not willing to pay the minimum sale price you've set for such a unique item.     

Let me be perfectly clear.  My comments had NOTHING to do with Canada,  Canadian heritage,  much beloved airplanes or enthusiasts thereof.   

Big Sugar

Dave:

They are right, As hard as it may seem to be,... pull the graphics and enjoy the memories, Spend a thousand and get everything in working order, Send it out for a nice polish and wax, detail it right and you should have no trouble exceeding your mark. It's a Very nice Car, no Question. Don't limit your potential buyers audience, Cripes the R/T could end up in Australia for all you know.

Don't get desperate, You could easily list that car in a high end " (Cigar,Guitar,Car,)"  magazine and attract a whole new crowd. Don't rush it.

Good Luck Dave
Take all you can get !
It's for a good cause.

Ron

Big Sugar

Skip the auction scene, untill your really in need of    [$$]IIIIIIIII[$$]

Ron

pettybird

Quote from: The Arrow on September 14, 2011, 01:57:25 PM

You Canuck aeroplane geeks sure are a testy bunch, aren't you? 

twodko

I like the graphics myself. Big Sugar speaks the word.........I believe you'll see very good money.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!