News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

A-body 4spd. ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, September 12, 2011, 11:57:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Is there any difference between an  E-body 4spd. and an A-body 4spd. ???
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

SRT-68

Yes, The A-body 4 speed has a shorter tail shaft and one shifter mount location.
John

Highbanked Hauler

OK so an E-body 4spd. is the same as a B-body except the ebody trans. has the second shifter mount on the tailshaft, right ??
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Cooter

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on September 12, 2011, 12:25:27 PM
OK so an E-body 4spd. is the same as a B-body except the ebody trans. has the second shifter mount on the tailshaft, right ??
Correct....
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Highbanked Hauler

92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

SRT-68

All 70 and later B or E-body trans will have both shifter mounting locations. There are 3 different front bearing retainer sizes on the front of these transmissions so you want to make sure you get the right one for your bellhousing.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: SRT-68 on September 12, 2011, 03:09:53 PM
All 70 and later B or E-body trans will have both shifter mounting locations. There are 3 different front bearing retainer sizes on the front of these transmissions so you want to make sure you get the right one for your bellhousing.

Do the bearing retainers interchange. So the holes in bell housings are different sizes, never heard of that personally.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Chryco Psycho

the 4.35 retainer uses a smaller bolt pattern for the bolts , the 4.8  & 5.25 will swap , the 5.25 is OD only though

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on September 12, 2011, 06:59:57 PM
the 4.35 retainer uses a smaller bolt pattern for the bolts , the 4.8  & 5.25 will swap , the 5.25 is OD only though

So where do you measure to know which  retainer you have ?  My bearing retainer broke and needs to be replaced. The trans. is a  68 23 spline. Thinking of going with a Lakewood blow shield.
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

SRT-68

Measure the od of the mounting flange. If you are going with a lakewood you will be fine. The lakewoods come with a large opening for the large retainer and an adapter ring for the small retainer.

A383Wing

bearing retainer is different, and first gear ratio is different as well...at least it was on the 6cyl trans I had

SRT-68