News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear Wheel Cylinder Questions

Started by ChargersETC..ETC.., September 11, 2011, 12:19:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChargersETC..ETC..

I replaceing my rear wheel cylinders .
As far as I know a rear wheel cylinder fits either side unlike the front wheel cylinders which needs a specific left or right be ordered.
I a replaceing 11 inch rear brake wheel cylinder as far as I know.
I ordered new oriely brake best # wc78734 rear wheel cylinder
Heres some questions are there 2 diffrent size wheel cylinders used? 10 and 11 inch diffrent?
Theres a large bleeder screw on my car but a small bleeder screw on replacement part.
Aprox 5/16 large mounting bolt on old part but.. small aprox 1/4 bolt on new part
The old wheel cylinder is a larger casting with larger rubber boots.
I have no idea if the threaded brake line threads are the same or diffrent?
I think I ordered the wrong wheel cylinder because I dought the pushrods will fit the rubber boots.
Basicly is there a 10 inch and 11 inch rear wheel cylinder or are all rear wheel cylinders interchangeable? I think I'll need to order a large style rear wheel cylinder :shruggy:
Thanks

ChargersETC..ETC..

Heres some info
thread line size- 3/8 -24 used with 15/16 bore size master cyls

Other then that I'm not sure if theres 2 diffrent size wheel cyls used on rear brakes???
I have the Bendix system as far as I know at least thats what  parts are used.

resq302

I would say that the rear wheel cylinders for the 10" and 11" drums would be different probably due to the different bore size but I am not sure.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

maxwellwedge

All the new wheel cylinders have the different sized bleeder and attachment screws.

The 4th and 5th columns are for B-Body.

Chatt69chgr

I believe you can get wheel cylinders to fit available in three different inside diameters.  Seems like it was 13/16, 7/8, and 15/16.  The smaller ID ones will decrease the rear braking force if needbe to prevent rear wheel lockup.  You can probably achieve the same result with a adkustable proportioning valve toward the rear.

ChargersETC..ETC..

I'm not sure how to read wheel cylinder chart correctly?
If all the new wheel cylinders have smaller bleeder screws and mounting nuts it would seem like there a incorrect matching replacement part and a person would be better off getting a wheel cylinder from a Dodge Pu Ramcharger or anything any brand that takes the same measurements as the original . I don't want to decrease my brake presure and know those small brake bleeders will clog up with dirt or rust before the larger size bleeder screws would.Why mount a smaller bolt into a larger hole that already exists on the car axles wheel cylinder mounting area? It doesn't seem tough enough and hope you don't have to add a washer to bolt because then the bolt might need to be replaced because there won't be enough threads left to hold it tight. Do the pushrods that go from shoes to wheel cylinder rubber boots fit in the rubber boots or do you have to replace the pushrods to fit the boots? Most important does the brake line threads match the wheel cylinder threads?
Seems odd only one replacement size bore wheel cyl for all chargers nowadays?

maxwellwedge

Rears - 10" and 11" are the same. There is no left or right on the rears.

The new wheel cylinders work - even with the ugly bleeder and smaller mounting bolts.

A friend taps the new ones to use the original bolts for appearance reasons when he could not find NOS.

I either hone and rebuild the originals or use NOS.

Those are pretty well your choices.

ChargersETC..ETC..

What kit do you use to rebuild the old wheel cylinders? Newer kits or old stock kits or kit for another brand or make model but same bore size and specs?
I guess I have to go with the newer smaller size wheel cylinders until I can rebuild the old ones later. It seems like out of all the cars ever made something some brand should be the same size and specs large wheel cyl as the original it's probley still available new somewhere just have to know what car or truck uses the same specs?
As long as it's safe to use the smaller wheel cylinders and they fit ok I'll use them

ChargersETC..ETC..

Raybestos probley has a rebuild kit . If I had to guess i'd look for the large style rubber boots when ordering a kit.
Heres some pics of what my car had the old large wheel cylinder was a Wagner.
I notice the backing plate is slotted where the wheel cylinder bolts go I thought it would be just a round hole so now I see why both sizes fit my car but if a car was originally equipped with small bolts and you try and use large bolts then the slotted backing plate may need to be drilled bigger.

ChargersETC..ETC..

wagner large wheel cyl

68neverlate

I just replaced one of these myself last week and the mounting holes were larger on the new one.  Everything else was the same.  I had to replace the bolts with 5/16" ones so I could mount, but didn't need to drill out the slots on the back plate.  I like to keep to original, but a couple of bolts ain't gonna put me off...      :Twocents: