News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finding a bodyman and painter

Started by Tscott38, September 03, 2011, 09:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tscott38

I've done bodywork and painted a car before - a '68 Chrysler 300.  I did it myself because I was on a budget and the car didn't have any significant value.  Now I've got a '68 R/T charger.  I had planned to do it myself too originally, so I stripped it to bare steel.  PPG epoxy primer and then probably screwed up by putting on a dupont fill-n-sand lacquer-based sandable primer to fill in the scratches.  I also did a small patch panel as well on the rear lower quarter and the car is pretty straight.  Needs a pro to finish it though.  I know my limitations.  I did the topcoat in the engine compartment and the trunk in acrylic enamel.  Turned out good, but the rest of the cars is needeing done now. 

How do I find a good bodyshop and painter?  I need to see examples of a man's work before I will commit to spending up to $10,000.  Where do you start?  I was at spring carlisle this year and a guy had a nice GTX that I looked over - looked great but he's a little too far away from me.  How do I find a guy closer? 

I'm not into any car clubs as my car is undriveable and basically am the only person I know who's into old cars, so I am definetly handicapped in this regard.  If anyone knew of a real good shop within 50 or even 75 miles of Winchester Virginia, I sure would be appreciative. 

elitecustombody

PM sent, please get rid of lacquer based junk,because it's nothing more that garbage and does not belong on a car that's worth more than $100

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

69 OUR/TEA

First,any good body man/painter is going to "wipe off" everything you just did,and start from scratch,maybe not in the trunk,but def the eng bay acrylic enamel you put on there.
Second,you really did'nt say what quality you were looking for,driver/cruise night,or a show car.You say it is pretty straight,but beleive me,there is going to be alot of bodywork happening,so just be preparred, $10k does'nt buy to much in this part of the resto,and might take you a bit of shopping around for that shop that can promise that.
Not saying you cannot get the car done for "up to 10k",but don't expect the world. :Twocents:

twodko

While it is a PITA, word of mouth has always served me well in searching out high quality work. Look into any car clubs in your area, talk to owners of cars you see for info and always insist on seeing previous work. Good luck.
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

469 runner

High Expectation Auto Restoration in Front Royal, Va.  Just down the road from you.  Charles Frantz is the owner.  (540) 551-0658  I had a 1970 roadrunner that needed paint.  They treated me right and the work is top notch.  Not cheap but not insane either.

gtx6970

hit all the local cruise nights and ask around

Musicman

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on September 03, 2011, 10:21:27 PM
First,any good body man/painter is going to "wipe off" everything you just did,and start from scratch

:iagree:

TexasStroker

I agree with the advice posted...hit up some cruise nights or shows, find some Mopars you'd like to have your car at the same level of and ask questions...Most people will tell you more than you'll ever want to know if you approach them with a compliment like that, lol.  You should get varrying opinions, but you'll definitely hear horror stories and know who to avoid...Compile the "pros" and see who stacks up with your expectations and budget...then hit the shop for a first hand look.  The owners will likely be happy to know you were referred by "insert name here" and will hopefully treat you the same.  I'm no help in VA, but there should be a lot of Mopar folks willing to help you and your 68.

Might start with what 469 runner suggested as a member here.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!