News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood insulation.....

Started by dodgedarren, September 09, 2011, 11:51:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgedarren

I cant figure out which way the insulation goes. Is it the exposed fibers facing the engine or the covered fabric side facing the engine

ODZKing

dodgedarren

Thank you, Ive seen allot of pics with the insulation side down and it seems like that stuff would get everywhere

jaak

Quote from: ODZKing on September 09, 2011, 11:54:38 AM
Fabric to engine

I think the insulation faces the engine, the black smooth part goes against the hood.

Jason

Just 6T9 CHGR

Yes the "old dirty rag" style hood pad should have the "old dirty rag" side facing out.

I like the molded pads much better myself...
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Chatt69chgr

What would be the downside of not using the hood insulation pad at all?  I was thinking that with the hood open, the engine compartment would look better without it.  I was thinking that neither my 2009 Challenger nor my 2005 Ram have one.

johnnycharger

You will be fine without it. I didn't have one for years. My wife bought me one for Christmas and I installed it but it rubs on my air filter lid and makes a mess. 

dodgedarren

Ive seen people install it both way. The cloth side facing the hood and it facing the engine. I would think if you have a halfway decent paint job you would want to insulation. I'd imagine the reason newer cars do not have insulation would be cause they dont run as hot?

charge69

My Charger did not have the insultion when I got it in 1976 so, ..... I am not planning on putting the factory insulation back on it. Might have had it at one time but, I like them without it more anyway. Not sure how you got the insulation anyway or if all 1969 Chargers came with it standard. I am not sure what the criteria was but, mine was not there.

dodgedarren

Look at the bottom of your hood and see if you have a punch of holes. All came with hood insulation to keep the engine noise down.

dodgedarren

Quote from: jaak on September 09, 2011, 08:00:44 PM
Quote from: ODZKing on September 09, 2011, 11:54:38 AM
Fabric to engine

I think the insulation faces the engine, the black smooth part goes against the hood.

Jason

My dads 68 Charger had the insulation side down and it coming apart and getting all over the place.

Silver R/T

Some new cars still have it, really depends on make/model and my guess how big engine is, 4 cyl cars don't usually get one vs big luxurious Lexus, etc usually have one
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

1968 silver/black/red striped R/T
My Charger is hybrid, it runs on gas and on tears of ricers
2001 Ram 2500 CTD
1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE
1995 Ford Cobra SVT#2722