News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hood clearance

Started by drifter69, September 03, 2011, 12:01:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter69

I know this has been hammered out to death but I could not find my combo in the threads. I have a eddy rpm and a Quick fuel 850 and would like to run my unsilenced air cleaner with hood insulation and have it all fit properly. I am usind cables on the throttle and kick down. I sat the hood on the car and it will clearly need a drop base to get in there and when I ran some tape from side to side it looked like the air cleaner was 2" above the tape. I read the thread on the Ford Motorsport drop base but that was only a 1" drop. Is there a base out there that will fit my bill or am I going to be runing the KN filter with flow top weather I like it or not. the engine is a 496 stroker build so performace is also important but I really like my unsilenced air cleaner and do not want a band-aid just to get it to fit. If proper performance is going to be sacrificed than I will get over my attachment to the stock air cleaner. Last thing is I have been looking for a link to find the KN filter with the proper drop I would need to make this combo work, I know Ron has stated the 1.25 drop will work fine but which distributor lists the right amount of drop in the base for my application. Most places I have checked just say drop base and not how much. :shruggy:

Chryco Psycho

if you ran the tape from fender to fender you will have more clearance than that as the hood rises from fender height , 1" drop should fit ok

drifter69

Even with the hood insulation?

Budnicks

Moroso make some generic 1"-2" drop base air cleaners, try Mancini Racing, Summit Racing or Jegs for the K&N or the Moroso, or maybe even Ford Motor Sports or GM performance they both had Holley equipped combos, the base needs to be made for a Holley with center hung floats & dual feed or there will be some clearance issues at the carb itself... Happy Hunting
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

drifter69

Thanks........I think I will try the flow top KN while I am trying to get the right combo for the unsilenced air cleaner. That will get me drivin for now. Still would be interested if anyone on here is running the combo I am looking for I like my 440 magnum pie pan when I open the hood up.

lokalik

do you have any clay? if so take a piece of clay and make a one or two inch high block, set the clay block on top of your aircleaner and slowly close the hood. the hood will compress the clay and when you open the hood you will be able to see the clearence between the hood and aircleaner. playdough will work also.

Marck

Quote from: lokalik on September 05, 2011, 06:28:00 AM
do you have any clay? if so take a piece of clay and make a one or two inch high block, set the clay block on top of your aircleaner and slowly close the hood. the hood will compress the clay and when you open the hood you will be able to see the clearence between the hood and aircleaner. playdough will work also.

That's a great advice..  :2thumbs: