News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 factory calipers guru needed

Started by poppa, September 13, 2011, 06:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

IAm I goofy or ????? I got some calipers (4 piston Bendix originals) rebuilt and I just got them back. Am I suppose to be able to move these pistons around in the bores? How much clearance is there suppose to be between the bore and the piston? Thanks
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

hemi71x

poppa
I'm the guy that you sold the spindles to.

The pistons in the calipers are pretty much a loose fit.
It's the "lip" seal on the piston that keeps the fluid in the bore from going everywhere.
Don't know of a particular measurement between the piston and the bore diameter of the caliper housing.
I'll see if i can come up with a picture of a caliper piston that i could post. They are a unique design for the piston seal, and dust boot seal.
Were your caliper housings sleeved?
Jim V.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany

UFO

From the service manual.

poppa

UFO,Thanks for the specs. I will have to measure them tomorrow.

Jim,How's it going. I can push and pull these things by hand,never had any do that before so I had to ask. Recieved them with a piece of styrofoam in the middle to keep the pistons from coming out,they have a heavier spring than original. Thanks for the replies guys.
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

hemi71x

Having a piece of foam, or cardboard, to keep the pistons in their bores, is normal after a professional rebuild.
The reason you probably couldn't move them around before the rebuild, is because they were probably all gummed up, or stuck in their bores.
Here's a picture of what your caliper pistons look like. It's the only one that i could come up with in my files in the computer.
Jim V.

RF-4C Phantom 69-370 Zweibrucken, Germany