News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

goodmark sheetmetal

Started by krug69, September 06, 2011, 09:47:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krug69

i just bought a 69 charger a few weeks ago. im looking into getting all the sheetmetal i need. floor, trunk floor, quarters, inner and outer wheelwells, rear valance. i work at a body shop and our parts supplier is a goodmark supplier. he gave me a good price and i also wouldnt have to spend so much money on shipping this way. but i have never fitted or worked with any goodmark restoration parts. do they have good quality parts? i dont want to spend thousands of dollars on junk

Nacho-RT74

welcome!

on my experience at Carlisle 2008 ( I'm not from USA ), looking at Goodmarks and AMD products side by side, AMD pieces did look WAAAAAY better, what doesn't mean allways are better. I have known Goodmark are good for the price but allways need some small adjustments hammering &/or cuts, nothing big to worry though.

Latelly I have known not every AMD piece is a perfect fitment, but not bad either really

wait for actuall experiences anyway, but sharing my impressions
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

krug69

ya i understand some parts can be better than other parts both coming from the same company. i know i have seen a lot of people talking about AMD and that they have gotten better over the years. i havent heard much about goodmark but ive only been reading things on this site for about a week. i know every part isnt going to fit perfectly together. ive been working at a body shop for 6 years now and am way to familiar with how aftermarket parts fit sometimes. hopefully a few people with experience with goodmark can give me some advice

Nacho-RT74

when Goodmark was the ONLY body parts supplier of course nobody had a complaint about more than some minimal details, but since AMD came out to float, Goodmark has been down AMD shadow
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

Troy

I'm not sure about ALL Goodmark (and Sherman since both share the same parts) but the parts I do know about don't fit very well. Specifically, the outer wheelhouses are junk. Do a search here for AMD and you'll find that most people seem happy with the fit. You'll also find some members that are AMD vendors and can get you some really good prices.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mike DC

By all accounts the difference between the two brands is night and day. 

Goodmark basically was the "old" world of repro sheetmetal - make stuff cheap (for people who don't wanna spring for NOS or good used stuff) so people can patch up existing cars with some bad spots.

AMD is the "new" world of repro panels - gotta make stuff right, because a lot of guys will basically be building entire unibodies out of it.  These days people will pay a lot more for original thickness and perfect fits. 

randy73

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on September 06, 2011, 10:53:56 PM
welcome!

on my experience at Carlisle 2008 ( I'm not from USA ), looking at Goodmarks and AMD products side by side, AMD pieces did look WAAAAAY better, what doesn't mean allways are better. I have known Goodmark are good for the price but allways need some small adjustments hammering &/or cuts, nothing big to worry though.

Latelly I have known not every AMD piece is a perfect fitment, but not bad either really

wait for actuall experiences anyway, but sharing my impressions

When I bought AMD quarters for my Cuda, the fit was terrible. In fact a year later I am still trying to get them to match, but I hear AMD charger parts are better.
I put Goodmark floor pans in and they fit well, but there were gaps, but that is to be expected.

AMD uses thicker metal, but I have found the quality to be less.

I am putting EMI pans in my 73 charger, they need trimming in places, there are not any drain holes, but they seem to fit. Though I have only test fitted the front left pan, rear pan is a bit of a challenge to get out.

krug69

who are some of the members on here that sell amd parts. i live in iowa so the closer to the midwest the better for me

elitecustombody

Quote from: krug69 on September 07, 2011, 10:16:24 PM
who are some of the members on here that sell amd parts. i live in iowa so the closer to the midwest the better for me

Send PM,I'll get you a quote

AMD-Auto Metal Direct  Distributor, email me for all your shetmetal needs

Stefan

hemi-hampton

I know from what I seen EMI was making some good repro parts. LEON.

green69rt

Probably both manufacturers will drop ship from a warehouse so shipping is not an issue.  As for fit, I agree that AMD is parbably better although not withour fault.  They still take some work.  What I have found is fitting a AMD inner wheel well to a goodmark outer is a real problem, they just don't match.  Good luck.

krug69

Ya I figured my best bet would be to get all of the parts from the same manufacturer

randy73

Quote from: green69rt on September 08, 2011, 10:10:38 PM
Probably both manufacturers will drop ship from a warehouse so shipping is not an issue.  As for fit, I agree that AMD is parbably better although not withour fault.  They still take some work.  What I have found is fitting a AMD inner wheel well to a goodmark outer is a real problem, they just don't match.  Good luck.

Depends on how much your body has been tweaked over the years, uni-bodies do not stay straight. Atleast in the 2 I am restoring, but I have found Goodmark to be better fitting and AMD thicker, not as good as AMD in fit. But, it seems to depend on the car you are restoring, as if you go onto an e-body forum, AMD is trashed pretty well, while b-bodies seem to think AMD is the best. Personally, I think it depends more on the car being straight, as to how well a piece fits.
But I agree with you, you just can't mix AMD and Goodmark panels, they just plain do not like each other.

hemi-hampton

Better yet, you can't mix aftermarket with factory, they just dont like each other.  :Twocents: LEON.

Mike DC

Nothing is going to be perfect on cars that were designed & built imperfectly the first time.   Even N.O.S. 1960s panels almost always need work to fit well enough for modern bodywork standards. 

krug69

ya im well aware of parts not fitting perfectly either aftermarker or nos. i think im going to go with amd parts though. also i have one more question. my car has a hole in the firewall on the driver side just above the floor seam right above the headlight dimmer switch. does amd have a patch panel for that?

green69rt

You mean something like this?  I just found an old firewall and cut a piece out and welded it in.  Much easier than the complete firewall also I don't remember anyone making one yet.   Just put out an ad on this site for one.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,54582.msg816046.html#msg816046

krug69

Quote from: green69rt on September 11, 2011, 04:59:05 PM
You mean something like this?  I just found an old firewall and cut a piece out and welded it in.  Much easier than the complete firewall also I don't remember anyone making one yet.   Just put out an ad on this site for one.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,54582.msg816046.html#msg816046

on your post #84 the bottom picture is where mine is rusting out too.