News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Brake lights/ turn signals

Started by HANDM, September 09, 2011, 02:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HANDM

This is a weird one so bear with me......

For diagnostic purposes, I have the brake switch bypassed so the lighs are on constantly, while they are on, at the two cam/ switch wires, the right one (looking at the column) gets very hot to the touch and starts to smoke very lightly.

When I hit the right signal everything work normally

When I hit the left (this is where it gets weird) the left signal flashes but the brake lights stop working, once I cancel the left the right brake light comes back on but the right doesn't.

When I hit the right again, the whole rear lighting starts working normally

Hit the left, haywire, Hit the right, normal, and so on and so on and so on........

Any thoughts?? I'm thinking signal cam or loose connection at the connector??

Thanks

HANDM

As an afterthought, I checked just the signals without the brake lights and they are working normally.......

I have traced the pink wires from the brake switch and they are part of the dome wiring and hazards I think, and that all works properly.

The white wire from the brake switch goes straight to the left turn wire on the cam and that is the very wire that is getting hot and shorting the signals/ brakes lights out.....

Which leads me back to thinking the cam is jacked up (aftermarket dorman) which I had to shorten the prongs to get it to work as they were about 1/16th" too long