News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there a good source for 74 front suspension parts...

Started by ramairthree, September 05, 2011, 09:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramairthree

When I torque to spec, I still get...

That difference in play in my upper control arm pivot shaft.

Either it stays the right camber, then a little yard drive will throw it off,
or with up on jack I get it,
then full weight back on tire and it shifts.

I don't think I can tighten it anymore without stripping.

Threads above nut increase when tightening, so it is not just spinning.

Space between shaft and cotnrol arms widens and closes when tightening, so it really is going,

I have not found a source for after market control arms for this year, or new pivot shafts, bolts, nuts, etc.

any info appreciated.

HPP

If it is not pulling it down tight when torqued to spec, then you have some other sort of problem. Did you chase the studs to ensure there are no burrs, or risers that would increase the torque value without increasing the clamp load? At there any washers missing that are allow the nut to bottom before applying load?

I've never seen anyone make replacement control arms for the 73+ year bodies, but you might talk to the guys at Firm Feel just to verify

ramairthree

Totally my bad here!!

I am closer to 45 than 40, and after a life of no glasses and 20/10 vision have been doing some squinting in low light at things I never thought twice about like sizes on a drill bit or date on a watch face.  It's been going on about a year, and I got checked out a couple of times and told my near vision is 20/20 so I'm good. But I for sure am not seeing some of the stuff I used to as well.

Well, I twisted my torque wrench to 160 in the garage one evening, and torqued my UCA to spec.
And I loosened them a couple more times and torqued them back to spec over a few days without zeroring the wrench.

I was messing with it in the bright sunlight today taking one more shot to see what was up,
and my wrench is at 100, not 160!

And about a year ago I had my right wrist rebuilt.  I thought I was pushing that thing like I was about to twist off a stuck lug nut.  But nope, was only going to 100.  My perceived effort is way off.

She held when I lowered the car, will see after a little drive.