News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Checking oil level on 727 transmission

Started by Marck, September 05, 2011, 09:14:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marck

Hey guys..

This is probably a very stupid question, but I need answers to my question..

The transmission on my charger has been dripping oil ever since I got it back from the engine shop, and it worries me.. I only just bought the licenseplates for it today, and so now I need to figure this out..

I have been told that when you check the transmission oil level, the engine has to be running.. Is this true? It makes no sense to me..
As mentioned it has been dripping oil for some time, but it seems to be slowing down, if not stopping all together.. When I pull the transmission dipstick with the engine off, the level is fine, max accepted level according to the dipstick..

I tried doing a search on this topic, with no luck..

So please keep the bashing of the noob to a minimum here, and help a fellow charger guy out...  :2thumbs:

b5blue

Your topic heading is 727 tranny, the body of your message relates to engine. Tranny level, check warmed up running in neutral. Engine level,check when off.

Bobs69

You'll want someone who actually knows to tell you, and boy it would be nice if Adobe would let me cut in paste, anyhow here is what the shop manual says to do.

"The fluid level should be checked every six months.  This check should be made when engine temperature gauge indicates a normal warmed-up condition and transmission fluid is heated to its normal operating temperature.  Check level with parking brake applied firmly and engine idling.

CAUTION:;  Before removing level indicator, wipe off cap and top of filler tu be to prevent accumulatyed dirt from dropping into transmssion filler tube.

After engine has idled for about two minutes, move gearshift lever slowly through all gear positions, pausing momentarily in each and ending with lever in "N" position.

When fluid is HOT, level should be at the FULL mark or slighly below, but never above the full mark to avoid foaming of the fluid.  Fluid should be added or extracted, depending upon the reading, to restore level as specified.

Restore fluid level when necessary with automatic transimission fluid.  Use only fluids of the type labeled Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid or Chrysler Automatic Transmission Fluid AQ-ATF-2848A or 2351A, available under Part Number 1843314.  Exception to this is a sealer which introduces a small amount of swelling of the seals to reduce fluid leakage resulting from hardening or shrinking of the seals in high mileage vehicles.  Such  a product is available under Part Number 2298923, Transmission Sealer.

That's straight from the shop manual.  And like I said you'll need someone here that actually knows but I've been told that there is a vent in the transmission (I won't type all that in but I see it in the manual) that will blow the excess amount of fluid out it you over fill it.  So I've been told!

Marck

Quote from: b5blue on September 05, 2011, 09:51:15 AM
Your topic heading is 727 tranny, the body of your message relates to engine. Tranny level, check warmed up running in neutral. Engine level,check when off.
I edited my original post to clarify what I mean...
My only concern is about transmission oil, engine oil does not drip at all..
Thanks for your reply..  :2thumbs:

Marck

Quote from: Bobs69 on September 05, 2011, 10:07:05 AM
You'll want someone who actually knows to tell you, and boy it would be nice if Adobe would let me cut in paste, anyhow here is what the shop manual says to do.

"The fluid level should be checked every six months.  This check should be made when engine temperature gauge indicates a normal warmed-up condition and transmission fluid is heated to its normal operating temperature.  Check level with parking brake applied firmly and engine idling.

CAUTION:;  Before removing level indicator, wipe off cap and top of filler tu be to prevent accumulatyed dirt from dropping into transmssion filler tube.

After engine has idled for about two minutes, move gearshift lever slowly through all gear positions, pausing momentarily in each and ending with lever in "N" position.

When fluid is HOT, level should be at the FULL mark or slighly below, but never above the full mark to avoid foaming of the fluid.  Fluid should be added or extracted, depending upon the reading, to restore level as specified.

Restore fluid level when necessary with automatic transimission fluid.  Use only fluids of the type labeled Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid or Chrysler Automatic Transmission Fluid AQ-ATF-2848A or 2351A, available under Part Number 1843314.  Exception to this is a sealer which introduces a small amount of swelling of the seals to reduce fluid leakage resulting from hardening or shrinking of the seals in high mileage vehicles.  Such  a product is available under Part Number 2298923, Transmission Sealer.

That's straight from the shop manual.  And like I said you'll need someone here that actually knows but I've been told that there is a vent in the transmission (I won't type all that in but I see it in the manual) that will blow the excess amount of fluid out it you over fill it.  So I've been told!
Thanks a lot for your reply, very helpfull...  :2thumbs:
I have also heard about the vent that allows excess fluid to drain, and hope that's the case with my charger..