News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any Tony Levin Fans? (Bass Player)

Started by Old Moparz, January 15, 2006, 04:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Moparz

I finally downloaded some photos from New Year's Eve. I took some vacation time between Christmas & New Year's to do some day trips with my wife & daughter. While in Albany at the New York State Museum, we saw a poster for a show on New Year's Eve & decided to go. It was for a Pink Floyd cover band called "The Machine" & a second band called "Jim Weider's Percolator Project" with Tony Levin on Bass. We never heard of Jim Weider, but it was worth taking a chance to go see the show since Tony Levin was playing bass. We also thought it would be a great way to take out daughter to her first rock concert.  :2thumbs:

Jim Weider is an excellent electric guitarist, & I would put his music in the same category as Jeff Beck's stuff. (Fusion) Besides, they covered Jeff Beck's "Freeway Jam" that night & did an awesome job. Anyway, aside from being an incredible bass player, Tony Levin is a very nice, & very friendly person. While we were waiting for the show to start, he was off by the side of the stage chatting to some fans & signing autographs. My wife has been playing the bass, so she felt compelled to go say hello to him with my daughter. The last time we saw him before a show was when we went to see Peter Gabriel once. Tony Levin played that night, but was riding his bicycle in the parking lot before the show so we had a chance on the way in to say hello.

He's played for so many people over the years it's unbelievable. I've seen him with Peter Gabriel many times, & as far back as 1979 in Central Park. Also saw him with King Crimson, The David Torn Quartet, & Chris Botti. Here's his discography: http://www.tonylevin.com/discography.html

My daughter loved the show, liked both bands actually, & is now a Pink Floyd fan.  :D 

Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

Old Moparz

If anyone hasn't seen Pink Floyd & wants to but can't, the cover band "The Machine" isn't bad. They do a good job on the PF tunes & have a good stage show. Of course it isn't PF, but one of the better cover bands I've seen.

Here's Jim Weider signing an autograph for someone, two shots of the PF light show & what would a topic be without an old, art deco, neon lit, Chrysler sign on an Albany dealership?  :D
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry

BrianShaughnessy

I had fun at MSG with the Black Crowes, Trey, Kate, Goldie and Snake Plisken  ;D

Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

Charger1970

I have never listened to Tony Levin except for his Peter Gabriel stuff on the radio. I have always read nice things about him though.

How did that Chapman Stick sound? Did he play it all night?
1970 Charger 500
2015 Challenger SRT

Old Moparz

Quote from: Charger1970 on January 15, 2006, 06:02:09 PM
I have never listened to Tony Levin except for his Peter Gabriel stuff on the radio. I have always read nice things about him though.

How did that Chapman Stick sound? Did he play it all night?

He played the Chapman for about half the tunes, & I actually didn't think he had it with him since there was a standard looking bass on stage before they came on. He played that for the first 3 or 4 tunes & then the stick came out. There's a lot more music he's recorded where you can really hear the stick compared to Peter Gabriel's stuff. King Crimson is one band where you can't mistake it.

http://www.tonylevin.com/
               Bob               

Going Nowhere In A Hurry