News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Something just froze over....

Started by bakerhillpins, September 03, 2011, 06:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morepower

:drool5:

what a freaking beauty! you look so giddy in your photos! haha
1968 Dodge Charger 496 Sublime Green 3.91 torqueflite. Built to drive. Best ET 11.73 at 117

2010 SRT Dodge Challenger 6.1 Hemi Orange 5 speed automatic. Daily Driver. Best ET 13.4 at 105

rick.d

That thing looks awesome! Plan on taking it to any cuise nights around southern N.H.? let me know, i would love to see it in person!

bakerhillpins

Hey all... Thanks for all the positive comments. Sorry for the delay, I was gone all day Tuesday and yesterday to get this car and I had to spend the evening and today trying to make up what got left behind. I was even instructed to "cook dinner" half way through typing this.

I know how much I really like car details so I will start there:
From the factory it's a Q5 (Yea Baby!)  :boogie:  :drool5: 69 R/T with black interior/top. Console auto, power drum, AM/FM (in the car), tinted glass, Air, rear defrost, stripe delete car. The engine is not the original and it came with the broadcast sheet. It's an ordered car and came with the locking gas cap which it has. Oddly enough the car is a "magazine car" and I will post up the scans of the articles in a bit. The car is a nice driver and nothing more. All the bright work is in really NICE condition and really makes the car shine. The previous restore I was told is 15yrs old and shows it's age on the inside more than the outside. They did a poor job of prepping the engine bay and trunk for the black and it's releasing in big chunks to show the Q5 below. It is quite photogenic though. When I get around to restoring it to it's magnificent original color I will have some metal work in the lower quarters and rear valance corners to be sure but the rest seems good to go. Only time will tell on that one though.

Story on the car isn't really that exciting. No accidental discoveries or anything like that. The DC.com notify engine just pinged me 2 Wednesdays ago about the car and as usual I was on the horn with the owner that evening. Car sounded good but it's not like that never happened before.  :icon_smile_wink: As always I wanted pics. The car was in southern CT and a hurricane was on its way up the coast to visit. I had little opportunity to get down to see it that week. Not so great phone pics arrived the next day and I was trying to figure out how not to get left behind yet again. Feeling PocketThunder-ish I penned up an email to Rob (1969chargerrtse) asking if he was in the area and would be willing to lend a hand. Rob got back to me in about an hour saying that he effectively drove by the car every day on his commute. A short time later he had setup to see the car on his way home that evening... WOW.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: That evening Rob gave the news and I needed to find a way to keep the car from moving to the locals. I couldn't get down there on Sat as I was going to the funeral of a good friend, Sunday was Irene, and Monday was the wife at work and I had to watch the kids. Fortunately I was able to talk the owner into holding on until I got down there Tuesday. Went down and checked it out and decided that 2 yrs was long enough and worked out a deal. After putting in another 6hrs to get home (had to pickup a parts lawnmower in Boston area) I got home and needed to figure out how to get this thing home.

Graciously, Brian (NHCharger) said that he would be willing to spend a LONG day of driving his rig and trailer to get my baby home.  :2thumbs: :cheers: But the problem was how to link up for the beginning of the trip as he lives in the east and I the west of NH. Brian had the brilliant idea of me riding my motorcycle over to his place in the AM and we could load it up in the front of the 24'er, pick up the charger, and dump them both at the house with me, leaving him to make the 2hr trip home and saving me another 4hrs of road time to get my other vehicle back from his place. So Saturday arrives and off we go. I got up at 5:30am and rode the 2hrs to his place, we loaded up the bike and I got a tour of casa-del-charger NH style. Wow nice cars and 68 project to boot. Off we went. At the first gas stop we checked the load. The bike had toppled...  :brickwall: We had to strap it down transversely in the trailer to get the charger to fit and I suspect the side to side motion was the culprit. Fortunately it wasn't a hard hit but rather it slowly slid over in the ratchet straps. After a quick modification to my less then stellar "this should be fine" and a set of new straps from the Gulf mart we were on the road again.  :icon_smile_blackeye:  Brian said that everything else on the trip would now be fine since we had our one problem. So off we went. Along the way Rob texted us that he was going to be there with his charger when we arrived. A support group as it were. Arriving a few minutes after noon Rob came over to meet us (none of us had met before) and a few minutes of confusion ensued as he wasn't expecting Brian and Bryan.  ;D After a few pics and some gabbing the car was loaded up and we drove home and unloaded.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

tan top

sounds like a bit of a long day !! but a good adventure  :yesnod:   ,  looking forward to seeing more pictures of the charger & stuff sometime  :drool5: :cheers: :yesnod: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: bakerhillpins on September 04, 2011, 06:03:29 PM
Hey all... Thanks for all the positive comments. Sorry for the delay, I was gone all day Tuesday and yesterday to get this car and I had to spend the evening and today trying to make up what got left behind. I was even instructed to "cook dinner" half way through typing this.

I know how much I really like car details so I will start there:
From the factory it's a Q5 (Yea Baby!)  :boogie:  :drool5: 69 R/T with black interior/top. Console auto, power drum, AM/FM (in the car), tinted glass, Air, rear defrost, stripe delete car. The engine is not the original and it came with the broadcast sheet. It's an ordered car and came with the locking gas cap which it has. Oddly enough the car is a "magazine car" and I will post up the scans of the articles in a bit. The car is a nice driver and nothing more. All the bright work is in really NICE condition and really makes the car shine. The previous restore I was told is 15yrs old and shows it's age on the inside more than the outside. They did a poor job of prepping the engine bay and trunk for the black and it's releasing in big chunks to show the Q5 below. It is quite photogenic though. When I get around to restoring it to it's magnificent original color I will have some metal work in the lower quarters and rear valance corners to be sure but the rest seems good to go. Only time will tell on that one though.

Story on the car isn't really that exciting. No accidental discoveries or anything like that. The DC.com notify engine just pinged me 2 Wednesdays ago about the car and as usual I was on the horn with the owner that evening. Car sounded good but it's not like that never happened before.  :icon_smile_wink: As always I wanted pics. The car was in southern CT and a hurricane was on its way up the coast to visit. I had little opportunity to get down to see it that week. Not so great phone pics arrived the next day and I was trying to figure out how not to get left behind yet again. Feeling PocketThunder-ish I penned up an email to Rob (1969chargerrtse) asking if he was in the area and would be willing to lend a hand. Rob got back to me in about an hour saying that he effectively drove by the car every day on his commute. A short time later he had setup to see the car on his way home that evening... WOW.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs: That evening Rob gave the news and I needed to find a way to keep the car from moving to the locals. I couldn't get down there on Sat as I was going to the funeral of a good friend, Sunday was Irene, and Monday was the wife at work and I had to watch the kids. Fortunately I was able to talk the owner into holding on until I got down there Tuesday. Went down and checked it out and decided that 2 yrs was long enough and worked out a deal. After putting in another 6hrs to get home (had to pickup a parts lawnmower in Boston area) I got home and needed to figure out how to get this thing home.

Graciously, Brian (NHCharger) said that he would be willing to spend a LONG day of driving his rig and trailer to get my baby home.  :2thumbs: :cheers: But the problem was how to link up for the beginning of the trip as he lives in the east and I the west of NH. Brian had the brilliant idea of me riding my motorcycle over to his place in the AM and we could load it up in the front of the 24'er, pick up the charger, and dump them both at the house with me, leaving him to make the 2hr trip home and saving me another 4hrs of road time to get my other vehicle back from his place. So Saturday arrives and off we go. I got up at 5:30am and rode the 2hrs to his place, we loaded up the bike and I got a tour of casa-del-charger NH style. Wow nice cars and 68 project to boot. Off we went. At the first gas stop we checked the load. The bike had toppled...  :brickwall: We had to strap it down transversely in the trailer to get the charger to fit and I suspect the side to side motion was the culprit. Fortunately it wasn't a hard hit but rather it slowly slid over in the ratchet straps. After a quick modification to my less then stellar "this should be fine" and a set of new straps from the Gulf mart we were on the road again.  :icon_smile_blackeye:  Brian said that everything else on the trip would now be fine since we had our one problem. So off we went. Along the way Rob texted us that he was going to be there with his charger when we arrived. A support group as it were. Arriving a few minutes after noon Rob came over to meet us (none of us had met before) and a few minutes of confusion ensued as he wasn't expecting Brian and Bryan.  ;D After a few pics and some gabbing the car was loaded up and we drove home and unloaded.

Great looking car, for sure! I recall the ad - nice price, too - esp. for what I see in the pics. Congratulations :cheers:

bakerhillpins

Quote from: tan top on September 04, 2011, 06:09:43 PM
sounds like a bit of a long day !! but a good adventure  :yesnod:   ,  looking forward to seeing more pictures of the charher & stuff sometime  :drool5: :cheers: :yesnod: :2thumbs:

Ill will get more pics up over the next few days. I have been running around like a mad man  :pullinghair: the past 2 weeks and it's been a challenge to even get in the small replies. Though I must admit I have already been out on a few "cruses" through the neighborhood even though I don't have it registered yet.  :D  I tried to send this out and it started raining which wouldn't be an issue but we have satellite net connection.  :eek2:

Ill pull some interior pics tomorrow when I take it out for another cruse.  :2thumbs:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein

bakerhillpins

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on September 04, 2011, 08:55:20 AM
Wow! Stunning car!  :2thumbs:

What's the story? :popcrn:

Did you buy in New England? Also, story on the orange Charger? :popcrn:

Thanks, been grinning from ear to ear for over a day now.

The orange car is Rob's (1969chargerrtse). Though you probably already know that now.  :P
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on September 04, 2011, 09:33:23 AM
Good for you Bryan, great score !!!!!  :2thumbs: Just can't beleive you came thru Ct right by my house and did'nt stop in for a chat!!!!!  :poke: Again,good going . :cheers:

Paul

Thanks man! Had I realized how close you were I would have stopped by. Ill blame Rob for not enlightening me to your whereabouts.  :slap: Yea, that's the ticket.  :lol:

That B5 car is sweet.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bakerhillpins

Quote from: hemi-hampton on September 04, 2011, 09:36:21 AM
Congrats, nice car :2thumbs: Thought you were looking for a blue one :scratchchin:  LEON.

Yea, Blue was the hot button on this car too. For the time being it will survive as a black car but it will have it's day and return to Q5.  I have to admit, black is already a pita, it shows every dam fingerprint and my hands have been all over that bad boy.  :drool5:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

NHCharger

Long day (525 miles towing a 24' trailer), but had a great time hanging out with Bryan and meeting Rob. Except for fighting traffic on rte. 1 in CT with 48' of tow rig and trailer the trip was pretty uneventful.
Yes the car was in Milford, CT.
Bryan, living on a long dirt road with a black car will suck.
Since you have two young boys I suggest you wait a few years and then paint the car orange, put an 01 on the side and let your boys terrorize the neighborhood :lol:
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

PocketThunder

Ya buddy!  Just got home from up north and fired up the internet to read this thread.  I feel like i finally found my first charger, living vicariously through you......  :2thumbs:   :2thumbs:   :2thumbs:

Paul

Quote from: bakerhillpins on September 04, 2011, 06:03:29 PMFeeling PocketThunder-ish I penned up an email to Rob (1969chargerrtse) asking if he was in the area and would be willing to lend a hand. Rob got back to me in about an hour saying that he effectively drove by the car every day on his commute.

I have been sending e-mails to Bryan of every car i find that he might like over the last year or so and he would ask how he could get to a certain car if its half way across the country.  I told him, just do a search on this site for the town that the car is in and someone's name might come up and then cold-email them and see if they will go look at it for you.  So that worked out for him.  Its sure nice to be in such a great group of strangers off the internet..   :cheers:
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

1969chargerrtse

Quote from: PocketThunder on September 04, 2011, 09:04:23 PM
Ya buddy!  Just got home from up north and fired up the internet to read this thread.  I feel like i finally found my first charger, living vicariously through you......  :2thumbs:   :2thumbs:   :2thumbs:

Paul

Quote from: bakerhillpins on September 04, 2011, 06:03:29 PMFeeling PocketThunder-ish I penned up an email to Rob (1969chargerrtse) asking if he was in the area and would be willing to lend a hand. Rob got back to me in about an hour saying that he effectively drove by the car every day on his commute.

I have been sending e-mails to Bryan of every car i find that he might like over the last year or so and he would ask how he could get to a certain car if its half way across the country.  I told him, just do a search on this site for the town that the car is in and someone's name might come up and then cold-email them and see if they will go look at it for you.  So that worked out for him.  Its sure nice to be in such a great group of strangers off the internet..   :cheers:
When he emailed me, he asked if Milford ct was to far?  I said I work in Milford everyday  :laugh:.  I remember seeing that car one night about a year ago.  The family is all Mopar.  They have several cars , and the dads been buying Mopars since he was a kid.  Nice car, I would of bought it if I was looking a for 69.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

Darkman

Congrats on the purchase Bryan! Nice looking car (for a 69  :nana: ). Now the fun begins
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

twodko

What a score! That's wonderful congrats. It's a beaut in black.....but I'm partial to Q5 myself. We'll be following your new journey. :2thumbs:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

71ChallengeHer

Wow,   :drool5:  Congrats.   :cheers:  It's about time.  :2thumbs:  I bet the boys are thrilled.  Tell them I said hi.

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

472 R/T SE

Well, I wasn't much help.  My buddy's went through 30 or so cars but none of them were Chargers. 

If I just bought that car I wouldn't have even posted as much as you have cause I'd be driving the redwalls off that thing.  That's a beautiful car man.  Right on, congrats.

Shouldn't this thread be a sticky?   ;)

resq302

Congrats!  The long wait has paid off.  Now good luck with it and enjoy every second of it and make sure to include your boys on the fun! 
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

PocketThunder

"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

bakerhillpins

Stupid satellite internet connection.. Rained all last night or I would have been able to post these earlier. From the Winter 87-88 edition of Mopar High Performance called Brooklyn Dodger.

[edit] Well, Looks like the article will have to wait, the second page got half the article cropped somehow.  :RantExplode:  Emailed the seller to see if he would scan it again for me. Put it up when I get it.

96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 71ChallengeHer on September 04, 2011, 10:27:46 PM
Wow,   :drool5:  Congrats.   :cheers:  It's about time.  :2thumbs:  I bet the boys are thrilled.  Tell them I said hi.

Yea, that's one way to look at it.  Caught them outside this AM checking it out again.  :2thumbs:

:wave:  <- from the boys.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

69 OUR/TEA

Bryan,so you're going to restore the car back to as fender tag???? Good choice,I don't care for the combo it is now  ::) .

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on September 05, 2011, 01:36:00 AM
Well, I wasn't much help.  My buddy's went through 30 or so cars but none of them were Chargers. 

If I just bought that car I wouldn't have even posted as much as you have cause I'd be driving the redwalls off that thing.  That's a beautiful car man.  Right on, congrats.

Shouldn't this thread be a sticky?   ;)

You have that wrong. You were helping, and a great deal at that. It took me quite some time to settle in to this and along the way I have ended up with some very patient and understanding new friends. I can't thank you and everyone else enough.  :yesnod: :2thumbs: :cheers: Though I will give it my best!

I can't take it too far right now as it's not registered/plated/inspected. Town offices don't open until Wed so I hope to go on a evening cruse when I get home from work.  :drive:
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bakerhillpins

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on September 05, 2011, 09:09:26 AM
Bryan,so you're going to restore the car back to as fender tag???? Good choice,I don't care for the combo it is now  ::) .

Yes, that is the plan. When I will get there is anyone's guess though. I figure that it will be something I try to take on when all my kids are in High school so that we can all share in the experience. Aw, who am I kidding, I am just looking for more hands to help make it go faster.  :lol:  Have lots of stuff to do to prepare for that operation between then and now though.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

bakerhillpins

Wondering if I should get personalized plates??

How about "YUMFSLS" ?  Wife said she isn't sure she could drive around in the car with that.  :D

NH is 6 digits for an Antique plate and 7 for a normal plate.
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire