News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Has anyone used Spray Max Epoxy primer aerosol?

Started by bull, September 03, 2011, 02:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I just bought a 14 oz rattle can of it from my local paint supplier and was hoping for some member reviews. It lasts just four days once activated so I need to have plenty of parts ready to go. It's an interesting setup with two internal chambers that when activated and mixed become a real epoxy primer in a rattle can. It's not cheap ($20+) but considering the price of some of other primer products it's not too out of line. I think SEM primers are often around $17.

http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-epoxy-primer-aerosol.html?utm_content=50771%20Z&utm_campaign=GoogleSean01&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Merchant-Centre&SRCCODE=1SE0756&gclid=CITL2ae_gKsCFWc0QgodVXfA1g

AdamMopar

I haven't used it, but I have thought of getting some in case I have some small areas that I don't want to get a spray gun out for.

I don't see any reason why there should be any issues since it is catalyzed.

bull

Quote from: AdamMopar on September 03, 2011, 08:23:45 AM
I haven't used it, but I have thought of getting some in case I have some small areas that I don't want to get a spray gun out for.

I don't see any reason why there should be any issues since it is catalyzed.

I kind of with it came in smaller cans for small jobs. 14 ounces is actually quite a bit of paint to spray.

Budnicks

What kind of paint will be going on top of the primer ?   is it compatible with the primer ?  (so you don't have a lifting or fish eye effect or something else), does it have a re-coat flash time ?  you may need to use a sealer on top of the primer after it complete dries, but I'm not sure though... Not familiar with the product...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

bull

Quote from: Budnicks on September 03, 2011, 01:17:42 PM
What kind of paint will be going on top of the primer ?   is it compatible with the primer ?  (so you don't have a lifting or fish eye effect or something else), does it have a re-coat flash time ?  you may need to use a sealer on top of the primer after it complete dries, but I'm not sure though... Not familiar with the product...

Some of it will just be covered with undercoating after it dries and is scuffed. Some of it will potentially be covered in just Dupli-Color stainless steel, but I don't know the type of paint it is and they aren't saying: http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=DUPLI&prodno=026916014108&doctype=MSDS&lang=2 They claim it's compatible with everything. I might actually be plating the parts (leaf spring hangers, fasteners and related parts) in clear zinc which looks the same as this stainless but shiny. I don't know which would last longer, zinc plating or paint. :shruggy:

Budnicks

Zinc plating, would look very cool, but I think it needs to be cleared to maintain it look, I not sure though...

Budnicks

Maybe it's a water base paint, lots of them out there now... I don't really know if they have a water base epoxy or not...

bull

I'll probably just use my regular self-etching primer. Epoxy is great but it's a pain unless you're set up to use it right. I wouldn't even mess with it unless I had a bunch of stuff to primer and could get it done in a day or two.

jaak

I seen a review of it on a body/paint site, The guy was a regular poster/contributor to the site who ran his own shop. He wrote up a good review on it, the only thing really negative about it was price....for someone owning/running a shop its cheaper just to buy epoxy in gallons, but recommended it for uses like your talking about.

Jason