News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New 72 Dodge Charger on the block, need advise plesae

Started by DR440, September 02, 2011, 09:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnny SixPack

Johnny's Herd:
'69 Charger SE, '70 Charger R/T SE 496 Six Pack, '72 Chrysler Imperial LeBaron, '74 International Scout II, '85 Ford F-250 Diesel, '97 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

"If its got tits or tires, you're going to have trouble with it." - Unknown

Got Dodge Fever? There's only one cure.....Charger!

CDN72SE

Beautiful car, congrats.  :2thumbs: Here are some examples with the stripes and such, not my car.

Hood blackout

Decklid stripe.

1972 Charger SE

Foreman72

Eric "Foreman"

Previous: 1972 Dodge Charger
Current: 2002 Volvo S60

"The steps of a man are ordered by the LORD, and He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the LORD upholds him with His hand.
=Psalm 37:23-24=
"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven..."
=Matthew 6:19-21=
:pat

snagm z

I know this car it was found in Maryland. I was sitting next to the owner at the time about 5or 6 years ago at a car show. the story from the guy i got was it was a garage car he found locally. the guy who bought it restored corvette gages for a living. Still looks good
I should have picked bowling as a hobby.
Darn mopar B bodies it's an illness.
Theres always room for one more Charger

41husk

The federal pumps come with two different shaft sizes, I had that problem with my 69 Bouchillon has the black for a 440 federal but you will need to know the shaft size.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

71charger

Quote from: RallyeMike on September 02, 2011, 10:58:31 PM
Incredible car, and super-rare as optioned. IMO - it deserves to have the grilles returned to the stock chrome and argent color pattern.

The ramcharger hood was available in 72, however just like the 440+Dana+4speed as your car is equipped, it was put on very few cars. It should be indicated on your fender tag as N96.

not trying to hijack this thread but what would N95 be on a 71???
I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, but I'm all out of bubble gum.

DR440

Thanks lads.  Appreciate the pics.  I now have an idea of what it originally looked like.

I'll check the pump shaft size and report back.  I was wandering if it was a Federal pump as used on the Hemi's as mentioned by Paul G.  I'm sure with your assistance I'll get to the bottom of this.  
Time, The Predator That Stalks Us All

69bronzeT5

Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1970 Challenger R/T: FC7 Plum Crazy 440 Automatic
1970 GTO: Black 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1972 Charger: FE5 Red 360 Automatic
1973 Charger Rallye: FY1 Top Banana 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: FE5 Red 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: FC7 Plum Crazy 318 Automatic

Rocpar

Try www.steerngear.com.  They are located in Ohio.  They rebuilt a few power steering pumps and gear boxes for our restorations.

Rocpar

That is a very nice Charger that you picked up.  This is my friends car that helps us at the shows and the shop.  It is a true 72 Rallye, triple black 340, auto, N96 car.

Laxy

Congrats, looks absolutely mint and the 440 4-speed combo is drool-worthy!  :drool5:

Have seen that car for sale for quite awhile over here and was hoping it would go to a good home, I reckon it was the sort of rare Mopar that would sell very quickly in the US but Australia would only have a few buyers interested in such specific rarity. What a beast!!
71 Valiant VH Hardtop 265 Hemi 4-speed, 71 VH Valiant Charger R/T Replica 360 4-speed, 68 Dodge Charger 440/727.

DR440

Quote from: Rocpar on September 05, 2011, 08:15:31 PM
Try www.steerngear.com.  They are located in Ohio.  They rebuilt a few power steering pumps and gear boxes for our restorations.

I'll give them a try thanks  :2thumbs:

In the meantime in case the above is a no go, the shaft size, which I could only measure with a ruler, looks to be 5/8" dia. Any other suggestion on where else I can try to get a new pulley, I'm all ears

Thanks lads

Quote from: Laxy on September 05, 2011, 08:46:46 PM
Congrats, looks absolutely mint and the 440 4-speed combo is drool-worthy!  :drool5:

Have seen that car for sale for quite awhile over here and was hoping it would go to a good home, I reckon it was the sort of rare Mopar that would sell very quickly in the US but Australia would only have a few buyers interested in such specific rarity. What a beast!!

I have known Mick and Yvette, the owners of the business where I bought the beast, for some time now and have been drooling over the car ever since they bought it in.  Finally bit the bullet and bought it.

aussiemuscle

Quote from: RallyeMike on September 02, 2011, 10:58:31 PM
it deserves to have the grilles returned to the stock chrome and argent color pattern.
looks better black

1972Rallye

DR440-
Congrats on the purchase... the car is simply incredible! It is indeed a rare beast - I have the same combo (only in TB3 - Super Blue).  I keep a registry of '72 Rallye cars and I can help you with production figures and option decoding if you ever need it.  I think I already have this car registered from a previous owner (VIN ends with 55 if I'm correct).

FYI-  It's the only Black car of the 6 cars I have registered with 440/4-speed/N96.  Also, of those 6, only your car and mine originally came with N76 (HD Coolant Recovery System).

Check out the The Thrid-Gen site.  Here is my post explaining what I do with the registry: http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=production&thread=3986&page=1#48936

:cheers:

DR440

Quote from: 1972Rallye on September 06, 2011, 07:17:38 AM
............ (VIN ends with 55 if I'm correct).

:cheers:

It's registered on the Chrysler registry ( I have the paper work here) and yes that's the beast  :2thumbs:  I want to get more of an in depth search done it so I'll check out your site.  Just got to get the pulley issue fixed so I can enjoy it  :cheers:

PS  N76 HD coolant recovery? tell me more

1972Rallye

It was a '72-only set-up.  I have lots of pics and an exploded view in this thread (starting at reply #11):

http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=engine&thread=6602&page=1#42586

I have several older pics of your car and it (N76) is not installed but is shown on the broadcast sheet. It's a very hard item to find since it was in several pieces and one year only.

DR440

Well I'll be blown.  Never new that.  Wouldn't mind scoring those parts.  If you hear of any place that has them please let me know

Any chance of scoring the older pics of my car?

What's a broadcast sheet?

1972Rallye

No problem, send me a PM with your email address and I'll get them to ya.

A broadcast sheet is the document(s) that traveled with the car down the assembly line that told the workers how to build it.  This one (what's left of it) is yours.  Hopefully, it came with the car...

41husk

I believe you will be able to get the pully from Bouchilon 843-744-6559 or www.bpeusa.  If I remember it wasn't listed on the web site but I called and they had it.  Good luck!
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

DR440

Quote from: 41husk on September 06, 2011, 02:24:05 PM
I believe you will be able to get the pully from Bouchilon 843-744-6559 or www.bpeusa.  If I remember it wasn't listed on the web site but I called and they had it.  Good luck!

Cool.  I'll give them a call tonight my time.  Many Thanks  :2thumbs:

DR440

Quote from: 1972Rallye on September 06, 2011, 12:37:14 PM
No problem, send me a PM with your email address and I'll get them to ya.

A broadcast sheet is the document(s) that traveled with the car down the assembly line that told the workers how to build it.  This one (what's left of it) is yours.  Hopefully, it came with the car...

Ah huh.  That's what that thing is called.  Yep I have it.  Thanks for the feedback

I have PM'd you my email address

Thanks very much  :2thumbs:

DR440

Quote from: 1972Rallye on September 06, 2011, 08:04:16 AM
It was a '72-only set-up.  I have lots of pics and an exploded view in this thread (starting at reply #11):

http://wichargerguy.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=engine&thread=6602&page=1#42586

I have several older pics of your car and it (N76) is not installed but is shown on the broadcast sheet. It's a very hard item to find since it was in several pieces and one year only.

Hi, me again

I have been a busy boy fixing up this and that on the Charger

I think I have found a repo recovery tank but no brackets.  Don't suppose you would know anybody that can supply said brackets.

Since it's been so long since thread was active I'll PM you as well

Many Thanks

PS Pulley issue has been sorted, Thanks guys  :2thumbs:

1972Rallye

All the repro tanks I seen so far are not correct for a '72 B-body.  Maybe you could post a pic of it (or a link).  Unfortunately, nobody is making the brackets.  The market is too scarce for a 1-year only option.

DR440

Ahh Huh!.  Me thinks I have goofed.  I might now be getting a bottle that wont fit  :brickwall:  :icon_smile_big: http://www.pentastarparts.com.au/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3220

On a side note, you mentioned you had some pics of my Dodge during restoration or the like.  Any chance you could email them to me please.  I have sent you an email so hopefully you got it and have my email address?

Thanks again for the info.   :2thumbs: This is a steep learning curve, made especially harder from being down here.

Iron Chef

Wow that is a stunning car!

Personally, I love the black without the decals.  I'd buy a set so that you have them, but the black paint is beautiful on its own.

This board is a great resource.  Best of luck!  :cheers:
Most of your life should be "off the record."