News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advice on gear manufacturer

Started by 70 Charger RT, August 31, 2011, 12:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

70 Charger RT

Hi, I'm looking for advice on what make of gears I should buy (or to stay away from).  I want to install new 3.23 gears in my 489 case (8 3/4) and I seem to recall someone telling me to stay away from a certain manufacturer but I can't remember who.  Search didn't help me.  Also, where is a good place to buy from?

Thanks in advance.

70 Charger RT
St. Albert, Alberta
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

Chryco Psycho

I think there may only be one mfg making the 3.23
I would call Cass @ Doctor Diff in MT
he can set you straight on what is available & good quality

64dartgt

I just had mine rebuilt.  They recommended Motive Gears over Richmond for quiter operation.  They said that the Richmonds tend to whine a little.  Nothing wrong with them.  Just noisier.  By the way, they told me that 3.23's weren't easy to come by but they had 3.55's in stock so I went with that.

Boy did I luck out.  My $400 core turned out to have a 489 case and the rebuildable variant of sure grip differential.  The whole shooting match...rebuild sure grip, new gears, new green bearings strip, prime and paint cost me $1560.  Only $450 of it was labor.  That also included a new fine spline yoke which was required with the Motive gear set.  I have almost $2K in the rear end, but I couldn't have bought new for that.

I dropped it off at the shop today.  They had just bolted in my rebuilt 340.  I can't wait for Friday when I take delivery  :popcrn:

terrible one

I used Motive Gear 3.55's when I built my 8 3/4 and they have been good to me.  :yesnod:

John_Kunkel

You might be surprised to find how many gears are made by Motive Gear and repackaged by the other brands.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Chryco Psycho

Eaton, Richmond ,Strange , Precision , Yukon , Motive are a few mfgs

70 Charger RT

Thanks for the advice.  I emailed people at Dr. Diff and Motive gears to see is 3.23s are available.
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

charger490

Search Shortcut
Stange, Jeff - Strange Engineering
local.yahoo.com
(847) 663-1701

8300 Austin Ave, Morton Grove, IL

More Info ยป

Search results

Strange Engineering
    The Leader of Driveline and Suspension Products ... Read our catalog online! Simply use the Table of Contents below to jump to that section, and click on the corner of any ...
    www.strangeengineering.net - Cached
    Strange Engineering
    Strange Engineering - 8300 North Austin Ave. - Morton Grove IL. 60053 Phone 847-663-1701

70 Charger RT

Charger490.  Thanks for the link.  I looked through the catalog and found the gears start at 3.55.  It looks like 3.23 are not available from Strange either. :'(
70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

64dartgt

I found a simulation program on the net and the difference in RPM for 3.23 and 3.55 at 70 mph was only 300 rpm (if I remember correctly 3300 rpm vs 3000) or 10% so I went with the 3.55's.

70 Charger RT

70 Charger R/T - 440/6
07 BMW 328iS
04 GMC SLE 2500 Diesel

64dartgt

I can let you know how they are with my 340 in a few days.  Day one of breaking in the new engine and new gears.  I have to take it easy for a while until everything breaks in.  Definitely a difference from highway gears for sure.  I don't have a tach though, and my speedo is now off by about a factor of 2X!