News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Trust NO-ONE on Ebay and other on-line websites

Started by 1970Moparmann, August 31, 2011, 10:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970Moparmann

Based on another thread where someone is looking at a car on Ebay, I put on it about how I trust no-one I don't know. 

What is your story??  I figure this is a good time to pound it in some heads of people trying to get into the hobby.   

Here is my story -

I was high bidder on a 70 AAR CUDA about 8 years ago.   As I always do, I asked a ton of questions about the car, asked for more pictures and details.  Well, after all the receipts and information from the seller, I won the auction, picked up a rental trailer and left on a Sunday night at 9:00 to go to NY to pick up the car.   After 12 hours of driving, I pull up to "the house" (what the seller said) and there it was, a 70 Rebodied Baracuda into a 70 AAR.   "The house" was a used car lot with a 1970 ish trailer in a fenced yard.   After spending literally 2 minutes looking at this car, I was so disgusted and frustrated that I was ready to shoot myself.   Now, I had to wait an hour for the "owner" to show up and demand my down payment back.   After 3 hours or argument after argument I finally said I will call the police and then tell them everything about what your doing.   As a reminder, 8 years ago was when all cars were selling for a mint. Rebodies were at a all time high!

After all of this, I got my money back and ate about $500 in gas and the trailer rental.    This was the first time I did this, and last.  TRUST NO ONE!

The sad reality of is some poor sap in Texas purchased this car, off of Ebay, and just had the car sent to them.   I saw this about 3 years after my situation, and yet again, this seller was misrepresenting the car.  I went back and forth with them on Ebay messaging about this car and finally they said "your mistaken".   So here is the snowball affect and yet someone else get's screwed............. One liar after another!!!!

If your getting into cars now, do yourself a favor and NEVER purchase anything without looking at it.

What is your story???
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

67tbird

When I had my charger shipped up from AZ, it puked antifreeze all over a Javelin below it, the driver had been sweating having to file a claim on it. Turns out the guy had Ebayed it as a rust free car and was so hot from the bondo cracking/melting that he didn't even file claim. The driver told him there was no rust, just no metal, You could squeeze the frame rails on it it was so far gone. He accepted the car and said that's what you get for not having an inspection.

66FBCharger

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on August 31, 2011, 10:55:41 AM
Based on another thread where someone is looking at a car on Ebay, I put on it about how I trust no-one I don't know. 

What is your story??  I figure this is a good time to pound it in some heads of people trying to get into the hobby.   

Here is my story -

I was high bidder on a 70 AAR CUDA about 8 years ago.   As I always do, I asked a ton of questions about the car, asked for more pictures and details.  Well, after all the receipts and information from the seller, I won the auction, picked up a rental trailer and left on a Sunday night at 9:00 to go to NY to pick up the car.   After 12 hours of driving, I pull up to "the house" (what the seller said) and there it was, a 70 Rebodied Baracuda into a 70 AAR.   "The house" was a used car lot with a 1970 ish trailer in a fenced yard.   After spending literally 2 minutes looking at this car, I was so disgusted and frustrated that I was ready to shoot myself.   Now, I had to wait an hour for the "owner" to show up and demand my down payment back.   After 3 hours or argument after argument I finally said I will call the police and then tell them everything about what your doing.   As a reminder, 8 years ago was when all cars were selling for a mint. Rebodies were at a all time high!

After all of this, I got my money back and ate about $500 in gas and the trailer rental.    This was the first time I did this, and last.  TRUST NO ONE!

The sad reality of is some poor sap in Texas purchased this car, off of Ebay, and just had the car sent to them.   I saw this about 3 years after my situation, and yet again, this seller was misrepresenting the car.  I went back and forth with them on Ebay messaging about this car and finally they said "your mistaken".   So here is the snowball affect and yet someone else get's screwed............. One liar after another!!!!

If your getting into cars now, do yourself a favor and NEVER purchase anything without looking at it.

What is your story???

I a

Here is my story -

What is your story???

I agree. If I am going to purchase the car I posted about, I will spend the money to fly out and look at it in person. Great advice!
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

Charger_Dart

I have had one good Ebay car and one bad one. I bought my Dart 10 years ago off Ebay and the seller way under represented the car. He mentioned all the flaws, but did not mention all the good / great parts of the car. I paid a fair price and have been very happy with the Dart ever since.
I also purchased a 70 Challenger R/T SE off a Texas Ebay seller. I asked lots of questions, and had a friend inspect it personally. That was my mistake, and the car had so many hidden issues I thought I would never find them all. The only thing the seller told the truth on was that it was a real R/T SE. 2 years later I sold the car on Ebay and it went to the high bidder in Norway. He never had an inspection done, just wired the money to me and 2 weeks later a car hauler came to get it. The buyer seems to be happy with the car since I never heard anything from him after he said he got it.
One good, one bad for me.   
68 Charger R/T & 68 Dart GT Convertible

RallyeMike

70moparman: At least you had the sense to cut your losses. I continually read that people see the car and problems, and then go through with the sale anyway!  :shruggy:  Cut your losses - A good lesson for all to understand. Cars are just not something to buy without personal inspection. Even then, sometimes you can be screwed if problems are hidden well enough. The problem when you have zero trust and don't take the risk of checking the cars out, is that you are going to limit yourself on the ability to get a deal on a car you want. Even in this recession, Mopar muscle is a sellers market and you have to be aggressive to get the good deals. Sure, sometimes the cars fall in your lap, but rarely.

1. I recently committed to buying a Charger 1600 miles away based on a vin photo, 4 grainy photos, and a 1/2 hour discussion with the owner on the phone. Even so, it appeared to be an incredible bargain and I drove there with a trailer to pick it up and pay in person. If the car had not been what it was described to be, I would have renegotiated the price or walked. Better ot lose $1k in gas than $10k in extra body work or more on a rebody rare car!

2. I committed to buy a Charger from a ex-member here that I was told was a sound restoration project needing only paint and  running gear. Again, not having seen the car except in a few grainy photos, I drove 300 miles to pick it up and pay cash. The car had clear evidence of a twisted uni-body and major crash repair. I renogotiated a lower price, hauled it home and parted it out. I would have walked away if he would have stood on his price. Instead of a good deal on a project car, I got a good deal on a parts car.

3. I have sold three Mopars on the internet and have been suprised at at how trusting people are. I had one guy wire me the full $12k price sight unseen. Bottom line is that the activity by these kinds of buyers is going to draw scammers to the market. Where there are sheep there will be wolves. As long as there are irresponsible buyers, there will be be stories of bad deals.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

bobs66440

I would NEVER buy a car without looking at it first. Period.

Brass

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones.  The seller was accommodating, agreed to let the car be inspected locally, and was very easy to work with.  I was probably more demanding and a little jumpy over such a big ticket, long distance deal.  But also ecstatic at the same time.  Had I gotten any sort of weird vibe, I definitely wouldn't have bid on the car.  Instead, I felt so confident about it that I ultimately decided not to proceed with the inspection.  (It helped that the seller was willing to fax an appraisal.)  As it happens, it turned out that he was mistaken about a couple things - yet I truly don't believe it was intentional.  Certainly not a deal breaker or anything an inspection would've revealed anyway. 

The first transport company I hired was another matter entirely.  What a pain in the ass that was.

Chryco Psycho

A friend of mine traded a really nice solid 70 AAR 4spd  clone , it had a lot of god parts on it , numbers block for the car , the paint was rough & my friend really wanted an orange car , this one was blue & needed paint as the paint was realy the only problem with the car . He swapped for a Orange clone AAR , had them both shipped & when it arrived it looked great , the paint was fresh but everything else was junk , the body was rotted so bad , most of the pieces were cheap repro or wrong , just a terrible move for him , I think he located the oragne car on Ebay but I could be wrong . Anyway he got real lucky & found a buyer willing to pay very close to what he paid so he did not lose a lot but he should have !! he ended up buying a T/A Chall clone , it was an original FM3 car & had a number of details we had to fix but it was a decent car .

Lesson learned , I would never buy a car without either having looked at it person or having a 3rd party I trust to inspect it first

69 OUR/TEA

I have had good luck  buying cars off the internet,one was bought just from pictures,and couple hour conversation off Moparts(my AAR),had it shipped up from Florida and was everything the seller said it was,thank God!!!!
The other two,my 72 RR GTX,Ebay buy-it-now,went in person to pick it up and pay,and if it was'nt what he described,I was'nt taking it.And my 75 Regal 15k mile survivor,also off ebay,went and picked up and paid in person.
So,I agree,would never send $$$$$ and hope to get the car as described.

Dans 68

1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

flyinlow

I have had good luck with Ebay motorcycles ,but bad luck with Ebay cars.  Sorry to hear of your aggravation.

When I do buy on Ebay, check the sellers history, positive feedback on similar cars, and get an email back from them before I bid stating they have a clear appropriate  state title in their name. I also get the VIN and run it past the DMV for liens, salvage or stolen.

Alaskan_TA

1970Moparmann

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on August 31, 2011, 08:27:43 PM
What was the VIN on the re-bodied AAR?

I think I have it.... I'm out of town with work and will send it tomorrow.

Alaskan_TA

Thanks!

I would like to know if it is one I am aware of already or not.  :2thumbs:

aussiemuscle

i've bought two cars on ebay

1. alfa romeo, when and inspected it and came back later and drove it home. i got a permit to drive it, but the gas station attendant wouldn't sell me any gas because it had no license plates.

2. pontiac firebird. i bought it sight unseen, but was exactly as described and as in the photos.

i'm tempted to buy another car, but will definitely view it first as suggest here.

kokxville

Well,this is an interesting topic. :popcrn:
I bought several cars on the internet,and i've had one issue with my 2005 ram hemi sport.The decklid on the bed was stolen and the alarm was disconnected.The rest was fine as described.
Now my 69 charger R/T 4 speed ( the car i always wanted,and i sold my 70 500 for it ) i bought recently,i have mixed feelings about it.The car should only needed a paintjob and some rechroming of the bumpers,mirror and doorhandles.For the rest it was a great driver and a complete car the seller told me.So i wired him ( huge amount ) money and trusted him.So when i checked the car out,it was sourt of a big dissapointment.The brakes were bad,the lights didn't work,it ran like shit,the handbrake didn't work,it has a startbutton under the dash,wipers don't work etc.There were also parts wich he should replace such as the steeringwheel.It has an aftermarket,and he would put in an original.The front bumperguards were gone,and again he said he has them and come with the car.He didn't put the steeringwheel in and when i asked he said he didn't know. :shruggy:
But on the bright side,it's as far as i could see a rust free 4 speed R/T
When i was there,and i've already wired the money,i was in a Fu#d up position,because it isn't what i've expected.At that time i knew i've overpaid well for this car. :eek2:
I could have told him the deal is off,but with the mixed feelings i didn't knew if i ever get my money back.Especially because i'm overseas.
I asked him to fix all the things mentioned as we agreed,and he said he would do that.So,i have to trust him on that,but it's kind a hard to actually believe if he really done it.
In the meanwile i have the car shipped,and i only know if i can trust this guy when it arrives here and see if he fixed the things we've agreed.
So,i shouldn't have wired him the money,before i checked out the car in person,but what's done is done.
When the car arrives here,i'll post here if everything worked out the right way.

I have my lesson learned and i'll keep my fingers crossed.
And i agree 100%,don't trust anyone when you buy a car unseen irl from the internet.
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

Cooter

I would simply never buy a car off E-Pay. Too easy to get screwed. Evil Bay has made things to easy for people to buy things and they gewt themselves into trouble by buying stuff they normally would never buy in that way.

Scammers are out there and it is ALOT harder to get screwed if your standing there looking at the car. I can just see the scammers jumping up and down in disbelief over how easy it really is to scam people when dealing with these cars on E-Pay. Yet, it still amazes me how many people will allow their emotions to cloud their judgement when spening huge amounts of money. Bottom line? Don't spend anymore than you are comfortable with losing cause when dealing in musclecars on EPay, you will eventually lose...
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

1969chargerrtse

Years ago I was buying a 69 Camaro Pace car in Ohio from Ct where I lived. I talked to the guy almost every day. The day came my girlfriend took off work and drove me to the airport. It cost me 300.00 one way. I took a taxi in Ohio to get a greyhound bus. I called him and said I'll be there in one hour by 5:00. He said ok I'll go get the title.  I got to the station at 5 and called him but no one answered?  I kept calling and at 6 he picked up the phone. I said, where have you been I said I would call you at 5?  He says, I just sold the car.
I said I have been talking to you for 2 weeks, I just spent 300.00 for a plane ticket, took a taxi, rode a bus, and you just sold it?  There was nothing on the other end. I said, ok and hung up. The pain and anger I felt was terrible. I felt like I lost a family member. I just couldn't believe it?  After I cried it out, I got up off the floor put my faith in good things happen and grabbed the local paper. The Pace car was junk, he didn't even think I'd make it back to Ct. But the fully restored 69 Olds 442 Conv I just found was still for sale in the Ohio paper. I made the call. 2 nice guys drove the car to the greyhound station and then took me to DMV for temp plates. I drove the car back home, top down fm radio playing tunes with the worlds biggest smile on my face. This car had every option made including power seats and antenna. Fresh paint and new magnum rims and exhaust tips. One bad bad story that ended up very very good.
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

1969chargerrtse

Most of you know my Charger was bought off eBay site unseen. The problem was it was across the Us and had a buy it now tag. This was 2007 when we all had money. Chargers were bringing top dollar and anything nice was sold in 5 min. I had to hit the button. I had been looking daily for over a year. Was it as listed?  Not even close. Do I regret it?  No not for the times.
I bought my house 3 years earlier and did see it it person. Paid 300k. Put at least 60 k more in it and the bank tells me today it's worth 300k. Can't win em all.  :eek2:
This car was sold many years ago to somebody in Wisconsin. I now am retired and living in Florida.

PocketThunder

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 01, 2011, 10:17:48 AM
Most of you know my Charger was bought off eBay site unseen. The problem was it was across the Us and had a buy it now tag. This was 2007 when we all had money. Chargers were bringing top dollar and anything nice was sold in 5 min. I had to hit the button. I had been looking daily for over a year. Was it as listed?  Not even close. Do I regret it?  No not for the times.
I bought my house 3 years earlier and did see it it person. Paid 300k. Put at least 60 k more in it and the bank tells me today it's worth 300k. Can't win em all.  :eek2:

If only we could go back in time, as i lived a few miles from where you bought your Charger at the time, and i would have looked at it for you...
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

1969chargerrtse

Yeah at the time I was new here and didn't know enough to ask. They were so hard go find back then. Even if you saw it as it was and advised me, I probably still would of bought it.  eBay is a powerful tool. I didn't want to lose a R/T SE.
Looks nice in my garage anyway.  :icon_smile_big:
No major regrets and love showing people before and after pictures.

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 01, 2011, 10:17:48 AM

Those days were crazy.   This was the time I was flipping some cars and had to react really fast.   My friends called me sick in the head.   Made a fee dollars here and there. 

A friend and I had a discussion about the current housing situation the other day.  He always rented, but was convinced 15 years ago to buy a house.  He told me the following-

He used to rent a townhouse for $1,000 a month.  Even if you consider increases in rent and such for the last 15 years it would look somewhere like-

He figures rent would have cost him around $275,000 for the last 15 years.

Here is his house situation-
Purchased his house for $189,000

Mortgage amount of $1,100 x 15 years = $198,000
Tax calculated at $4,500 a year (currently at $6,500) = $67,500
Taking car of the house expenses in terms of lawn, fix it parts $2k a year = $30,000
Total roughly = $295,000

House value now $180,000 :o :o :o

Can also pick up the same house on a short sale in the neighborhood for $130k.   

Hows that Hope and Change?

oldcarnut

I bought the 70 Road Runner I'm using for my Superbird tribute project without seeing it in person.  The car had been listed on Ebay a couple times and didn't sell and I had wrote an email asking about it. Sometime later he wrote back and said if I was still interested he was going down the list and the first one to give him his bottom price could have it.  After some phone conversations, checking out the bank for wiring to, and a few other reassurances I needed to make, I bought the car based on his descriptions and a few pictures.  Never had done that before and I was nervous  A few things were under described but others were better than I was anticipating but it worked out. http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,53678.0.html
Buying has not been that bad but selling cars on Ebay has been a pain.
I have sold my 32 Ford Roadster and just recently my 69 Coronet RT on Ebay.  Dealing with the scammers, low ballers, and people trying to pitch their sob stories why I should give it away to them because they're don't have the money gets old quick.  Ended up trading the Ford for a 70 Chally and cash. A car dealer bought my R/T sight unseen except for the add pics and links and now has it listed for almost double what he gave me.  If something was cheap enough I would probably have to weigh the cost of seeing it in person but for high dollars I would want to look at it first.  I guess I'm more on the trusting side to a fault but I also try to give a good add description so somebody doesn't get any surprises either.  I feel like what goes around comes around.

66chargerkid

My buddy about 3 years ago bid on a mint 86 turbo z c/s package t-tops, leather, the whole shabang. 54k original on the clock.Car had brand new paint, brand and looked very very nice. He spent 3,500 bucks on the car and another 1,200 to transport from Florida to Kansas. He gets the car, it drives well, looks good etc. For the hell of it he calls me and asks if he can get the car up on the lift and check everything out. Get underneath it and the floor boards....GONE. Rockers....GONE. The dead pedal had been fiberglassed together and the quarters bondo'ed up.
500 miles later the car blew the clutch and the brake lines were so rusted they collapsed the second we touched them and the car was scrapped.

1970Moparmann

That sucks. :o

I have heard so many people that get upside down in cars due to not doing homework or looking before they buy it.  I've had a few stories, but the AAR was the worst one. 

Hope this thread pounds some sense into some people. 

Of course there is good people out there, but still you have to check.  The worst are the guys that buy a car, muck it up, and sell it.   A few of my cars that I flipped, these guys did this.   A little bondo, paint, and off it goes to the next sap.

bull

There are plenty of scammers on Ebay but part of the problem is how people interpret things. My idea of a good restoration may not be the same as your idea of a good restoration. Some people have high standards while others can let a lot of things go without issue. Some people fuss about every nut and bolt while others think that as long as it runs and drives there's nothing wrong. This is why you should either look at the car yourself or hire a bipartisan third party inspector to look the car over before any money changes hands.

64dartgt

Took my lumps. 

Bought my Wife an 89 Jag XJS for $2800.  Photos on greedbay were of a gold car with chrome wheels, fog lights and a tan interior.  Rust free!  Even spoke to the owner on the phone multiple times.

Drove down to drive it back (DC to Boston) after putting another $1800 into it at a local shop.  Gold car...black interior...no chrome wheels...no fog lights...rust and bondo.  Clearly fraud.  Drove it back.  Ebay was less than useless.  Called the guy and told him I would take him to court for fraud.  He refunded $500.  Still a bad deal for me as I wanted a clean southern car to restore.

Second time around.  Bought my 73 Charger as a non-running project car for $2K.  Probably overpaid, but had rare options like a sunroof, slap stick, power windows and AC.  Was oversold as an AZ car.  Spent ten years accumulating a little bondo in MA first, but still a solid project car.  No regrets, but still should have gone to see it as it was nearby in CT.  Frame and floors are rock solid and roof is good.  Accumulated new fenders and a drivers door while in AZ apparently.  If it was a 73 Charger I'd have paid 3-5X that for a shell!

I don't buy anything off ebay if I can't afford to lose all the money involved.  No expensive cars for me.  I can walk from $3K, but not $30K! 

Bigblocktony

ive sold 15 cars on ebay
not 1 come back/ bad feedback--- nothing
had a few deadbeat bidders,,
sold mostly high end cars and trucks
shipped 90% of them----
and sold tons of mopar parts / generator parts// ect ect
i dont know maybe im one of the honest ones
ive bought a couple local cars of ebay- craigslist, they werent totally honest about the cars
but when your buying classics/muscle cars/ old parts  you got to deal with well known high feedback ratings
ect.ect
then again ive been on there since they started the auction thing :icon_smile_cool:
if you do the same thing everyday
you get the same results
ATTITUDE REFLECTS LEADERSHIP

stripedelete

Quote from: 1969chargerrtse on September 01, 2011, 10:06:48 AM
Years ago I was buying a 69 Camaro Pace car in Ohio from Ct where I lived. I talked to the guy almost every day. The day came my girlfriend took off work and drove me to the airport. It cost me 300.00 one way. I took a taxi in Ohio to get a greyhound bus. I called him and said I'll be there in one hour by 5:00. He said ok I'll go get the title.  I got to the station at 5 and called him but no one answered?  I kept calling and at 6 he picked up the phone. I said, where have you been I said I would call you at 5?  He says, I just sold the car.
I said I have been talking to you for 2 weeks, I just spent 300.00 for a plane ticket, took a taxi, rode a bus, and you just sold it?  There was nothing on the other end. I said, ok and hung up. The pain and anger I felt was terrible. I felt like I lost a family member. I just couldn't believe it?  After I cried it out, I got up off the floor put my faith in good things happen and grabbed the local paper. The Pace car was junk, he didn't even think I'd make it back to Ct. But the fully restored 69 Olds 442 Conv I just found was still for sale in the Ohio paper. I made the call. 2 nice guys drove the car to the greyhound station and then took me to DMV for temp plates. I drove the car back home, top down fm radio playing tunes with the worlds biggest smile on my face. This car had every option made including power seats and antenna. Fresh paint and new magnum rims and exhaust tips. One bad bad story that ended up very very good.

Great Story!!!

Benji

Here is why you should PERSONALLY inspect any car you are planning to buy.  A car was listed a car for sale on the 'net seven years ago.  It was represented correctly.  A man from New England called and wanted an independant appraiser to look at it. The seller had absolutely no problem with this, and in fact was excited that a "pro" would be confirming the car's description.  The prospective buyer wanted some additional photos of the body, upholstery, dash, inside the trunk and inside the hood.  The "pro" called and set up an appointment at 5 PM to look at the car.  At 9 PM he shows up. By then it was dark, and the car was parked in a two car garage with another car.  The "pro" snapped a couple of shots with his tiny point and shoot camera, and had his 10 year old son crawl under the car with a penlight to "inspect" the bottom.  The ten year old said the bottom was "perfect" (it wasn't) and the underexposed images his dad shot showed about 1/3rd of the passenger door and about 1/3rd of the right quarter panel.  The rest of the shot faded into inky blackness.  In fact all of the shots he took were about two stops underexposed and showed some shiny stuff and lots and lots of dark areas.

Benji

64dartgt

Ditto for boats Benji.  Half the inspectors out there are horrible.  I have heard of guys inspecting sailboats writing up sailboats because they didn't have keel bolts...it wasn't a bolt on style keel...it was molded as part of the hull.  Lots of "professional" idiots out there.

1970Moparmann

DonC1

All very true points...but time was tight and this website is not ebay. Member here Kolnc steadfastedly denies any wrongdoing in my satellite transaction and is using the time elapsed clause as his excuse.
I now refer to my project bird as the ' klink ' mobile  :lol: as it languishes in a state of temporary repair while I cut out the trunk floor and donate the rust chunks and small block drivetrain to skippy the scrap metalman....dreams of a nice clean roadrunner clone with matching road wheels squashed over petty greed.  :brickwall:

64dartgt

Being a member here grants nobody any special traits and grants no particular guarantee someone is trustworthy.

On a sailing site I frequent related to my boat, another member's main sail was severly damaged mid-season.  I have had that happen before with my jib and it royally sucks because repairing an old sail isn't cost effective, but if you don't you lose most of the sailing season.  I offered to ship the guy a spare main sail I have, worth $500-1000, depending on your opinion, to use for the season FREE then return it if he would send me a $500 deposit, but I refused to sell it outright for $500 because for that amount I would far rather keep it as insurance against the day I need it.  It also had a lot of recent work and was worth closer to $1000.  He never took me up on it.  I thought I was being a nice guy   :shruggy:

A guy also offered to trade me some teak (which he had) and woodworking (he would make me spare set of companionway boards) for a new spare compass I have.  I agreed to it, then never heard another word about it from him.  Was I just supposed to mail him the compass?  I don't know.  He never asked me to.  I probably would have.  I could offer it again...but...  :scratchchin:

On the other had, I mailed a guy $400 for my 8.75 rear end from a Craigslist ad.  We stayed in communication and I eventually picked up the rear end four months later (there was snow on the ground and the rear was in a car when I bought it).  He said he was amazed that I sent the money and waited so long.  Turned out he is pastor of his local church.  I left him another $200 to cut a pair of quarter skins for me.  I have to pick those up one of these days!   :icon_smile_big:

DixieRestoParts

Quote from: Benji on September 08, 2011, 08:27:31 AM
Here is why you should PERSONALLY inspect any car you are planning to buy.  A car was listed a car for sale on the 'net seven years ago.  It was represented correctly.  A man from New England called and wanted an independant appraiser to look at it. The seller had absolutely no problem with this, and in fact was excited that a "pro" would be confirming the car's description.  The prospective buyer wanted some additional photos of the body, upholstery, dash, inside the trunk and inside the hood.  The "pro" called and set up an appointment at 5 PM to look at the car.  At 9 PM he shows up. By then it was dark, and the car was parked in a two car garage with another car.  The "pro" snapped a couple of shots with his tiny point and shoot camera, and had his 10 year old son crawl under the car with a penlight to "inspect" the bottom.  The ten year old said the bottom was "perfect" (it wasn't) and the underexposed images his dad shot showed about 1/3rd of the passenger door and about 1/3rd of the right quarter panel.  The rest of the shot faded into inky blackness.  In fact all of the shots he took were about two stops underexposed and showed some shiny stuff and lots and lots of dark areas.

Benji
:iagree:

I hear these stories all the time from customer's. It makes me want to spit nails. I also spend quite a bit of time talking to guys prior to buying a car, especially the ones that aren't car guys or Mopar guys. It's really bad, especially the brand X guys that think buying parts for a Mopar is gonna be as cheap as a Camaro/Mustang.  I hope I've helped a few not make a costly mistake.

Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: 64dartgt on September 22, 2011, 02:59:38 PM
Being a member here grants nobody any special traits and grants no particular guarantee someone is trustworthy.

I could spot 95% of all the BS when it comes to 1969 Dodge Chargers. There are some on this site that could get all 99% right.

Why only 99%  :shruggy:  I leave 1% for what Mopar built as 1 of 1 cars  :2thumbs:

Now when it comes to certain years of Corvettes, there is quite possibly nobody more qualified than myself to be the SME. I didn't write the "book" however I did make corrections, once it was published  :yesnod:

1970Moparmann

Here's yet another one...

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86275.0.html

Ad says -

Up for bid is a beautiful 1971 Dodge Charger Rt 440 numbers matching car with all docs included . This is a beautiful Lazer stright car that runs great .The interior is Beautiful and like new .This car has only 24000 original miles and I just put new tires on car.I have driven car and is very dependable.the frame rails are rust free and truck is nice. The pics dont do this car any justice this is a show stopper car . If you buy this car expect to talkj about car 30 minutes when getting gas.If you ever wanted a real RT charger this is the one. call me 1 843 992 2789 for more info.I have 2 buld sheets and two fender tags for car.and the original tag issued new back in 1971.

Reality is-

Originally a Triple Green stripe delete car.

Interior is painted red.  (Red not available in a 71 Charger).

24k miles sinse rebuild of second motor.  Original 440 included needs rebuild.

Quarters, trunk, doors, hood...all replaced.

:fireangry: :fireangry:

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Here is my latest:  ::) no response to my past message...

...a quick "google" of the VIN, and it turns out it has been a "scam" vehicle for years  :flame: Even used pics I found out, from a REAL AD in New York.  :slap:

To: xxx@aol.com
Subject: RE: Cars.com used car lead for - 2005 Ford Excursion
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 13:54:34

Christopher,

I will be in Santa Fe, NM tomorrow and ready to buy the truck if it is as described.

I am sure you have many interested and can appreciate your time. I will not be purchasing through eBay, as the buyer protection services you mentioned as ONLY for vehicle transactions COMPLETED THROUGH eBay, not the classifieds as you have listed. But surely you knew that...

I am looking at a few of these trucks and yours is just one of many. Please let me know the address in Santa Fe where I can go and see the truck and make a purchase in person. I am available this week.

Regards,

To: xxxxxx@live.com
Subject: Re: Cars.com used car lead for  - 2005 Ford Excursion
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 13:46:58

Hi,

We could do the deal in person if this is what you are looking for but working on a oil rig is kinda difficult to come and go on a daily basis.
I usually go home once every 3 Months and we could do the deal in person.I am on the oil rig right now, I am not home right now.The only way I would come home and deal in person
would be if we will have this transaction registered through eBay Motors to make sure that both of us will get what we are looking for.
One think I want to mention I have many people interested and I think you are aware everyone wants to buy it and if someone decide to purchase it through eBay I will deal with him once I got the chance.
If you wish to reserve the vehicle for yourself I need the following details from you :

-Full name
-Shipping address
-Your phone number

I forward your details to eBay, they verify it and start the transaction, eBay will assist you with the purchase.
Thanks a lot for your interest and patience

Call me anytime  (xxx) 701-5753

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, Nov 14, 2011 8:44 am
Subject: RE: Cars.com used car lead for  - 2005 Ford Excursion

Christopher,

I am traveling on business and will be in Santa Fe, NM in fact, tomorrow night. This is actually perfect, as I thought the vehicle, per the ad, was located in New York.

Anyways, I looked at the pictures on your link and would like to know what time I can see your truck - it would either be tomorrow night or Wednesday during the day. I will test drive and inspect it then, before my purchase.

Thanks,  

Subject: Re: Cars.com used car lead for - 2005 Ford Excursion
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2011 11:34:59

Hi again,

Here is the VIN#: 1FMSU43P25EB76602 (just in case you wish to run a Carfax).The title is clear in hand with my name on it, no liens.
The vehicle is located and registered in SANTA FE, NM and I suggest we should use eBay Vehicle Purchase Protection, so we can both be protected and insured.I am on the Oil Rig right now, I am not home.
If we manage to complete this transaction within 7 days I could arrange to have it shipped at your door on my expense otherwise you have to pay 50 cents per mile.
We are currently signed up for a protection program offered by eBay Motors and we would like to close the deal through them. If you are not aware of this program you should know that it will allow you to test drive and inspect the vehicle before paying us. In this way you're not buying something sight unseen. You will have a 7-day inspection period to decide whether you want to keep the vehicle or not before they release the funds to us.
If you are interested in a quick sale and you wish to receive the vehicle in front of your door without paying anything for that except vehicle's price please forward me the following information :

-Full name
-Shipping address
-Your phone number
Here are more pictures : xxxxxx
Here is my cell number (xxx) 701-5753 , If you are involved in a loan with your bank Just tell me.

Thank you very much for your interest
Christopher

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, Nov 14, 2011 6:54 am
Subject: RE: Cars.com used car lead for - 2005 Ford Excursion

Hi Christopher - I am still interested in your truck and while I am looking at others this week, I would like to look at yours.

Please send me some better pictures under the hood, and of the interior, including the seating surfaces.

Also, what maintenance records do you have, and how long have you owned the truck?

Where is the truck located, and when may I come and see it?

Also, please send me the VIN # and any other details you have.

Regards,

Subject: Re: Cars.com used car lead for - 2005 Ford Excursion
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2011 23:47:02

Hi,

My 2005 Ford excursion is still available for sale.There is no previous collision damage to this vehicle.This is a garage kept vehicle.The engine is mechanically sound and can be driven anywhere with confidence.
The exterior is extra clean. Extra clean interior (see pictures). Absolutely no rips, odors or abuse, I don't smoke.
It has 49,130 miles with a 6.0L V8 engine.
I am looking to obtain $13,500.00
The reason I am selling this amazing vehicle , I have enrolled into Chevron Job Offers on a oil rig and I have a contract as a drilling engineer for 2 years in Houston,TX and I plan to buy something else with the money I will earn here.I am on a oil rig for the next 3 Months.Besides that me and my wife are expecting a baby and I am start searching for an apartment.
I can provide VIN #. Also, I can send you the pictures and more details too. Just let me know if you are still interested.

Thank you very much for your interest,
Christopher

67440chrg

I have only bought 1 car off of EBay and did not even buy it during the auction. I knew mostly what I wanted I can do most of my own mechanic work so i looked for a straight body with decent paint. It turned out to be a good driver as well. I bid on it and asked a lot of questions about the car. It never hit its reserve so after the auction I called him and haggled with him for a couple of days and gave him 3grand less than his reserve. During my several month search I set my search window to withen 250 miles from home. I know it lessened my cars to look at but I wanted to look at it before I paid for it. It was what I wanted and turned out to be a good experience.

68 Bullitt Charger

What is your story??  I figure this is a good time to pound it in some heads of people trying to get into the hobby.  

Here is my story -

I was high bidder on a 70 AAR CUDA about 8 years ago.   As I always do, I asked a ton of questions about the car, asked for more pictures and details.  Well, after all the receipts and information from the seller, I won the auction, picked up a rental trailer and left on a Sunday night at 9:00 to go to NY to pick up the car.   After 12 hours of driving, I pull up to "the house" (what the seller said) and there it was, a 70 Rebodied Baracuda into a 70 AAR.   "The house" was a used car lot with a 1970 ish trailer in a fenced yard.   After spending literally 2 minutes looking at this car, I was so disgusted and frustrated that I was ready to shoot myself.   Now, I had to wait an hour for the "owner" to show up and demand my down payment back.   After 3 hours or argument after argument I finally said I will call the police and then tell them everything about what your doing.   As a reminder, 8 years ago was when all cars were selling for a mint. Rebodies were at a all time high!

After all of this, I got my money back and ate about $500 in gas and the trailer rental.    This was the first time I did this, and last.  TRUST NO ONE!

The sad reality of is some poor sap in Texas purchased this car, off of Ebay, and just had the car sent to them.   I saw this about 3 years after my situation, and yet again, this seller was misrepresenting the car.  I went back and forth with them on Ebay messaging about this car and finally they said "your mistaken".   So here is the snowball affect and yet someone else get's screwed............. One liar after another!!!!

What is your story???

Quick question..... The place where you arrived in NY to pick up Cuda was in Bronx? I would understand if it was!!!!
Some of the Mopar Ride's in Stable.....
58 Pymouth Fury "Christine"
65 Ply Satellite 9.43@141 mph
58 Ply Fury "Christine"
64 40th anniv 880 Custom 383 Pwr Everything!

I'd rather be hated for the person I am, than be loved for the person I am not!!!!!!

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

And another... Seems to be a popular truck with scammers  :flame:

To: Xxxxx@live.com
Subject: RE: Cars.com used car lead for Maria Xxxxx - 2005 Ford Excursion
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 22:03:33 +0000

Hello,
I am very busy with my job lately I had to travel to Mexico with a project and I'll be staying here for the next 3 weeks. As I still have to sell the car asap the best way to conduct this transaction is using Google Checkout. You can find out more details at their help page at googlecheckouttransactionsupport.com. To use the service you will need a google email account so please sign up for free at www.gmail.com. Then send me your gmail id so I can set up an agreement with google checkout. They will send you all the terms and conditions of transaction first and if you agree we can proceed with the vehicle inspection, test drive, paperwork and payment. I have left the car at a shipping facility near the city and you can pick up the car from there or they can have it shipped to your location. If you have any concerns please get back to me.

To: maria.Xxxxxl@msn.com
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:43:24 

Maria,

I sent you a response the other day however, I have not heard anything further. Please let me know if your truck is still available and when I could come look it over.

Regards,
Xxxxx

To: Xxxxx@live.com
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 23:16:09 +0000

Hello,

I am Maria Xxxxx and I am emailing you about my 2005 Ford Excursion Limited that I am selling for only $12,000. The Excursion is in mint condition with all maintenance service done on time and no accidents or other damages. Had no major repairs and I had no problems whatsoever with it. I am the original owner. It has 98,500 original miles. The VIN number is 1FMSU43PX5EA23868. The title is clean, clear and ready for transfer. I have uploaded some pictures of the vehicle here: Xxxxx/excursion. The Excursion is currently located in Port Chester, NY and can be picked up for inspection or delivered to your address. If you are still interested and haven't bought a car yet get back to me so we can work out a deal. Thanks.

Respectfully,
Maria Xxxxx

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 68 Bullitt Charger on November 15, 2011, 11:18:00 PM

Quick question..... The place where you arrived in NY to pick up Cuda was in Bronx? I would understand if it was!!!!

I'm pretty sure it was.  He represented the car as 19k original miles, and on and on and on.

aussiemuscle

Mike on the show 'Wheeler Dealers' bought a car on ebay sight unseen. If you win it at auction, he says that "if it's 'not as described' you have the right to refuse to buy it and walk away. if it 'IS as described', you are obligated to buy it."

something to keep in mind if you find yourself in that position.