News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What points on power steering gear could leak?

Started by WH23G3G, August 29, 2011, 04:40:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WH23G3G

What I thought might be engine oil leaking under my 73 Charger might in fact be power steering fluid. I'm pretty sure the valve covers are sealed now. I see no trace of oil around either sides valve cover flange. There is thin puddle, not even a puddle, of a clear oily fluid. Hard to tell because all the fluids are new. The only oily spots on the bottom side are right in the center bottom of the bellhousing but it may be residual. It's not the rear main, not the oil sending unit, and finally not the valve cover. I do see wet spots around the steering gear shaft where the pitman arm goes. On the top where the sector adjustment screw is there is a puddle of looks yellow like power steering fluid. But the hoses are dry from the pump. I do remember when we first started the engine up the steering shot to one side, we did bleed it before but I guess not enough. After that I re-bled it and it's fine. But now it's wet on the back pump and several spots on the gear. Which areas are prone to leakage on the gears? I'm going to hate pulling the gear out. It was hard enough without the engine even in. It's a reman unit and so is the pump, and new hoses.

John_Kunkel

From my experience the most common leak source is the O rings between the box and the valve body (there are three of them). Since the box self-steered at one point, the valve might need adjusting also.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.