News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

LOUD backfire after ignition swap!!

Started by Canadian1968, August 18, 2011, 07:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

So we just swapped in a MP electronic igintion. Tried to start it , and after a couple cranks we got a backfire out of the exhuast. We tured the distrib. counterclock wise a bit and tired again. This time it souned like a cannon went off!! Loud backfire out the exhuast with some blue-ish smoke. It was late at night, and to many neighbors were yelling at us , so we called it a night !!!

So my question is, obviously the timing is off, but how much someone suggested I may have installed the distributor 180 degrees off?  OR do I just need to adjust the distributor a few more degrees?

Thanks

(ps we double checked the wires. ) 

Chryco Psycho

If you pulled the dist cap before removing the old dist to check & see where the rotor was pointed & then installed the new dist pointed the same place you would not be 180* out .
If you pulled the wires off the cap & removed the old dist without removing the cap you could be 180* out or the firing order could be wrong .
Go back to basics , pull #1 plug , bump the engine over until you feel compression pressure out the plug hole see where your rotor is pointing & wire #1 there & follow the sequence for the rest of the wires

dodgechar

Not sure but might check rotation, i think my 440 had that problem years ago, anyway the rotation on wires was wacked, so we rerouted them the other way.  Its been a long time, but I think that was it.   One of these mopar guru's should be able to clear that up.

usdodge

Bacfire out the exhaust indicates way to far advanced or like the others said, just plain 180 degrees out of time. I hope this was on at least a newer timing chain or a good double roller chain. Hard backfires can cause timing gears to jump. Good luck!

Canadian1968

Well finally got a chance to go back and check out the car. Sure enuff some how in the switch we must have roated it 180degrees some how. Did the switch and car fires right up !!

Noticed that our Tach is not working anymore ?? Anyone know which wire I left out off the to of their head !

A383Wing

you should have a gray wire that goes to "-" side of coil to operate tach