News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

PPG paint codes for interior B5Blue?

Started by b5blue, August 26, 2011, 05:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

My local paint supplier American Icon said they can make up spray cans of paint for any purpose. Wanting interior color B5Blue it seems there are 2 shades of blue used inside my 70 Charger. They offered to "match a sample" and I told them you guys may have correct formula codes. (Figuring by now any sample I might find is so old the color is wrong anyway.) He said most likely it would end up being a lacquer based paint (?) any suggestions and or codes? Thanks! b5 

DC_1

AKcharger

No, No! do NOT go by a 40 year old paint code/chip for interior colors! There's a few good reasons

- The rest of your interior parts have faded slightly and they will not match
- The original codes were for "Ditzler" a company that was morphed into PPG slowly after 1968, it can be VERY hard to duplicate the right codes (and even if they do find the codes it may not match)
- Original codes were for diffrent types of paint then used today

Trust me on this...if your local paint shop is worth their salt they can match your current color to a tee with better quality paint and put it in spray cans for ya' too.  That's what I did on my B-5 interior and it came out great

P.S. And don't use MOPAINT (if it's still even in business)...it's crap!

b5blue

I have door panels I can match to for the true b5blue but it looked like there was a slightly darker "tone" of blue used also... :scratchchin: Most of the interior is/was shot from it's drag racing days over 17 years ago. Thanks guys you have me thinking, maybe get samples from Legendary Interiors and use them to match up.   

gtx6970

What parts are you painting?

This is the steering column for a 1970 Charger I just finished earlier this month
Baltic Blue Suede finish.

gtx6970

again
I have the can at the shop and can post the paint code for it if needed. And It needs to be a laquer base formula to get the finish right

DC_1

GTX,why the gold tube and lever? Isnt the tube suppose to be bare metal or painted grey to simulate that at least?

b5blue

Hey that looks like the "other color" to me.  :2thumbs: Codes would be great thanks!

maxwellwedge

Everything that chart listed as Suede or Organosol was laquer based.

Everything else was acrylic enamel based.

b5blue

I really need to paint everything, column, all trim, dash pads, parts and sections. 16 years ago I painted most everything black as it all looked like crap! Even all "soft" parts like my steering wheel, kicks and arm rests.  :2thumbs: The buckets are in need of so much I'd like to dye a set of aftermarket ones to install. What is the correct shade for the headliner? I wish I could find a 70 B5 Blue interior to look at.   :scratchchin: 

gtx6970

Quote from: Sydmoe on August 29, 2011, 03:22:40 PM
GTX,why the gold tube and lever? Isnt the tube suppose to be bare metal or painted grey to simulate that at least?

entire lockout tube was plated yellow zinc di-chromate . Originally the Lever was as plated and with a bare steel tube.

This is one of the problems  faced to do a lockout tube column. Sanding the plating off of the upper portion visible above the lever before it goes into the column jacket is easily done with steelwool or some other  media,,,,,,BUT,,,,, Short of removing and replating the lever by itself and then re-installing it on the tube. There's really no way to do the small portion under the lever where it looks respectable.

Lower steering shaft was unpainted bare iron and isn't real hard to replicate with paint which is the way this column is done and it also has an unpainted NOS coupler body

nigeltufnel

Quote from: gtx6970 on August 29, 2011, 02:15:02 PM
What parts are you painting?

This is the steering column for a 1970 Charger I just finished earlier this month
Baltic Blue Suede finish.

That would be my column!  Looks fantastic Bill - I just need to get the rest of the car to match.

Quote from: b5blue on August 29, 2011, 03:44:09 PM
Hey that looks like the "other color" to me.  :2thumbs: Codes would be great thanks!

I have the baltic blue suede paint that was used to do my column.  Unfortunately, I gave it to the painter to do my dash frame.  I'll be there this weekend so I'll take a look at it then.

b5blue

Thanks the codes would be great! I'm planning a test can of both shades to see how well I like it.  :yesnod:

b5blue

Now were getting somewhere! THANKS!   :cheers:  What are you using to prep/prime with?   :scratchchin:

nigeltufnel

My car is out for paint so I'm having the painter do the dash frame while its there.  He will be doing the dash frame first, so I should have some pics shortly.   

gtx6970

Quote from: b5blue on September 04, 2011, 08:52:04 AM
Now were getting somewhere! THANKS!   :cheers:  What are you using to prep/prime with?   :scratchchin:

Everything on this column was stripped with a glass bead cabinet.

primed with etching primer and painted with a HVLP gun

b5blue

Thanks! So the dash frame, headliner trim sections and column are what get this? The dash pads, pillar trim and kicks match the door panels? (B5blue)

nigeltufnel

Quote from: b5blue on September 06, 2011, 05:35:47 AM
Thanks! So the dash frame, headliner trim sections and column are what get this? The dash pads, pillar trim and kicks match the door panels? (B5blue)
Yes, the dash frame, column and front headliner trim are baltic blue (suede finish).  The dash pad, pillar trim and kicks are not the same as the door panels.  From what I have seen, they are a darker blue along the lines of B7.  The side headliner trim is baltic blue (gloss finish).  The factory manual also lists thunder blue poly as a possible color for the side trim, although I'm not sure of the circumstances in which this was used in the Charger.

nigeltufnel

Here are some B5 interior pics from '70 Chargers.  Obviously they are not unmolested original interiors, but you will see some consistency between the several cars.

Seat covers, upper door panels, dash pad and carpet (along with the steering wheel) are not original in the following two pics.  The rest is supposedly original.

Looks to be original (and in bad shape).  Carpet probably was replaced, as I have not heard of black carpet for automatic cars with B5 interior.

Can't tell if this was a shot from a B5 or B7 interior (edit - B7 interior not available in '70 Charger, so this must be a B5 interior).

b5blue

So the "Baltic" color covers the whole dash, kicks, pillar covers and headliner trim.   :scratchchin: Thanks for the pics!!!   :2thumbs:

nigeltufnel

Quote from: b5blue on September 06, 2011, 04:13:39 PM
So the "Baltic" color covers the whole dash, kicks, pillar covers and headliner trim.   :scratchchin: Thanks for the pics!!!   :2thumbs:

I believe the color of the plastic dash trim, dash pad, pillars and kick panels is slightly darker than baltic blue (Dave at performance car graphics told me the plastic and vinyl trim color is B7).  Are B7 and baltic blue one in the same?  Don't know, but when I look at my baltic blue column and my B7-dyed plastic trim side-by-side, there is a slight difference in color.  However, looking at the same two parts side-by-side in a photograph, you cannot tell the difference in color.  These differences could be due to the different finishes (suede and high sheen).

You could probably use baltic blue on all of these parts and most people wouldn't know the difference (so long as you use the correct finish - suede for the dash frame, column and front headliner trim and a medium to high sheen for the plastic and vinyl trim).

b5blue

I get it the gloss is different, even though on my car it won't matter greatly as there is no plan to ever sell, I'd want to at least be close. I'll be looking for hints of what was as I go.   :2thumbs:

nigeltufnel

Any chance your original headliner is still there or do you know what color it was (even from old pics)?  I believe it should be dark blue/B7, but so far I have not been able to confirm. 

b5blue

Actually its still there. It's one of the few things left. Want a chunk of it, it's hanging down in one corner! The door panels and top covers for the doors, along with much of the dash and interior trim had been stored in a badly leaking trunk for a long time. The seats are re-covered in the wrong shade blue, (All they could find 20+ years ago.)  stitched up kinda close to original as best they could.
  Now most of the interior is gone/removed long ago. I dyed a green dash pad black and installed it, have the glove box and door out along with the entire A/C system, duct work and the center radio plate for access to all the wiring and wipers assembly. I've been rounding up missing parts and finding better stuff for years now. I have decent door and rear 1/4 interior panels (B5 Blue) and found steel upper rear 1/4 interior panels to replace the crappy vinyl ones (A cost saving mod.) and a very nice used gauge cover and cover for the passengers side of the dash. I'll pull the column and gauges to re-do, paint the dash fairly proper, sort out the wiring and get it ready for aftermarket A/C over the winter. (That's why I'm trying to sort and test colors now.)