News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd gen anyone do their own resto/paint on the temp controls?

Started by Spartan, March 19, 2006, 03:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spartan

I took my temp controller unit out of the dash of my 69 a few weeks ago.  Its an AC/heat/defrost unit and I took it completely appart and began cleaning it up.

First thing I noticed is I never knew there were lightbulbs in it.  This was so dust layered and the bulbs probably didn't work that I never knew they existed.

I am wondering if anyone ever repainted the black on the chrome and what type/color did you use to repaint the black area.  Suprisingly, once it was cleaned  up, the lenses were in good shape.  WHat did you do with the buttons as well?  Mine are pretty dingy and discolored w/ the letters nearly rubbed off. I heard there were decail kits and I wondered how they looked or if anyone has a source to redo the buttons back to their original state.

I did some work on the buttons since the switch was a little stiff and (with the help of a little WD40) got the darn things to move allot better.

I am ading a rear deforst too and am looking at adding a light to illuminate it as well. Someone already drilled a hole in the plate that looks like it would work for it.

Anyway, any help on getting the temp controls back to their original state would be geatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

my69

Brian,
I really can't answer your question all to well, Beings I need to do something with mine!
I figured on cleaning the one I have up as well.    Thought maybe I could use those paints that we use to use on those models when we were teenagers the stuff called "testors" They were in those small little  glass bottles.   find brushes that will work well enough to do the job.

anyways that would be my plan.

Winston

Just 6T9 CHGR

Actually, I used the decal kit from PCG....it looks OK

Thinking now.......maybe I can use my dry transfers that I used to do my coil relettering...... :scratchchin:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69BlackChargerRT

To get the buttons back to looking factory, use 400 grit sandpaper and wet sand the buttons.  A little elbow grease and the old lettering comes off and smooths out all the pits and imperfections.  Then, use SEM Color Coat satin black spray paint (I got mine from an auto paint supply store).  SEM paint is specifically made for flexible and rigid plastics, vinyl, etc.  Let them dry, use a decal kit and then they will look just like factory new.  If I had a pic of how mine turned out, I would post it. Hope this helps.

Spartan

sounds good.  What about the black on the chrome plate around the light?  thanks for the reply
Over?! its not over until we say it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!...Hell no! and its not over now!..(Germans? Pearl Harbor?...shut up, he's on a roll)

Just 6T9 CHGR

Heres a crappy pic of my buttons.

I would say either a flat or satin black for the black area to match
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Spartan

Those are decals?  looks pretty good.  Looks like you car is loaded with defrost and trunk release too.  Pretty cool.  If you don't mind me asking, how far away from the controls is your defrost switch?  I have to locate mine on the dash since it did not come with it originally.

Thanks.

Just 6T9 CHGR

I dont have an exact measurement.  I can get you something in a few days
The trunk release was from a C body...the rear speaker fader knob next to it is pretty much a dummy
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Spartan

ok, thanks.  I used to have an eq where your radio is at, must be a popular spot  ;D  Did you have to paint your vinyl dash pads?  Yours looks pretty good.

69BlackChargerRT

I had the chrome piece that the unit and buttons slide on rechromed (about $60).  A little on the pricey side considering the size, but not that many rechromers locally.  The piece looks just like new.  I then had my buddy who owns a body shop tape and spray the correct front part satin black.  I wasn't there when he did it so I can't tell you if he sanded and primed the area before paint (but I believe he would have).  I will try to get a picture of it in the next few days.

Spartan

Cool, thanks!  My chrome is in good shape, just trying to get the black parts look black again :)

AKcharger

Cool didn't know anyone mad a decal kit I hand painted them on...looks like a skilled child did it

AK

JimShine

Here is a defroster switch dash. Same as a convertable.

Spartan

you wouldn't have any dim's for the location would ya?