News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel gauge reads 1/2full when empty

Started by TXcharger70, September 17, 2011, 10:42:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TXcharger70

Maybe you guys can give me some in site on this. I have an aftermarket fuel gauge and it is reading 1/2 tank when it is empty. I have replaced the fuel sending unit twice the one I have now reads 8 to 9 oms full and about 76 full. I also ground the sending unit wire and get the gauge to read full. When I hook up the sending unit and move the float to full position the gauge will read past the full mark over full which is OK I guess since 1/2 would mean empty for me but I am baffled. Could it be the resistance of the gauge?

Ghoste

That would be my guess.  No electrician by any stretch but I would think that if the guage and the sender are not designed to "talk" to each other this would be the type of problem you would encounter.  Did the aftermarket guage instructions or packaging indicate it should work with an older stock Mopar sender in your application?

John_Kunkel

You probably have a gauge that's for GM applications.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TXcharger70

Well the gauge was already in the car when I got it so it is not until now that I am trying to diagnose the problem.

TXcharger70

I hope that's the case. How do you check the oms on an aftermarket gauge to see if it's in the right range

y3chargerrt

Do you have the metal ground strap installed?

charger Downunder

Try bending the float arm up so when you have a small amount of fuel in the tank the float will not of moved the arm as much which will make the gauge read higher. If that makes scene its hard to explain. A couple of times in and out you should be able to get it pretty close.
[/quote]

TXcharger70

I have grounded it with another lead wire to make sure