News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ammeter jumping wildly

Started by shawnmd, August 17, 2011, 05:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnmd

The ammeter in my 69 is jumping from-10 to +20 while running. The spikes correspond to when the lights flicker as well. Whats got me is that I have already done the headlight relay upgrade. So because the lights are getting full power from alternator, u would think this would eliminate the voltage regulator as being the issue (because its bypassed to the lights) So it has to be the alternator correct?

charger Downunder

I did my upgrade years ago your lights should be getting power from the battery i ran two wires directly from the starter relay one for each high and low beams with separate fuses. Check your earth wires plus re check how it is wired up. There was a wiring plan on the site somewhere.
[/quote]

shawnmd

Yes , mine is wired directly from the alternator stud to the relays for low and high beam.  I belikeve the ammeter jumping was happening before the headlight upgrade anyway.  I checked the engine ground and voltage regulator ground and they seem good.

I should also mention that the ammeter is irratic even when the lights are off- no difference whther the lights are on or off.

charger Downunder

For the price of a new voltage regulator i would buy one and see if it fixes it, if not you will have a spare which is handy to have. Well yours is wired different from mine i wonder how others have theirs hooked up.
[/quote]