News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Another Ram truck problem...

Started by Magnumcharger, August 17, 2011, 10:42:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Wilson

The CAT's of that era had problems. Some even were recalled.   My 95 CAT used to rattle and kinda buzz on aceleration.   I had it replaced under warranty. Something about the guts inside come loose and can plug up.

Todd

Beep Beep Dave

Well did you figure it out yet Robin?

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Magnumcharger

Not yet.

But this is what I've done:
I used my OBD-II reader to do a simple diagnostic while running, and got no codes or faults.
I removed the idle control valve, cleaned it, did a check on the functioning circuitry with no issues.
My Cat doesn't appear to be clogged, although I may drill a hole in it to "relieve it" of any possible "internal restrictions".
I checked the Throttle control valve, removed the aircleaner and ensured the kick down cable is functioning.

All that, and it's still not working properly.
I've had a sticky TCV previously, and that's not it for certain. Also, the transmission was rebuilt three years ago when it wouldn't go into reverse or high gear.

My brother-in-law has a similar Ram, and experienced the same thing. His rectification was to change out the ECM.
I'm thinking that might do the trick as the tip-off to my issues was the immediate loss of cruise control. Since this is an electronic controlled transmission, the ECM could well be the culprit.

Meanwhile, I've got the truck in the garage and I've welded some patch panels on the box sides and will be putting on a new set of front fenders this weekend upcoming.
It's an old truck, but it's paid for and has been good to me. So it deserves an extension on life.
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

Stretch

Check the TPS.

You can check it with a multi meter two ways first KOEO 12v scale, neg. to the battery neg. Back probe the sensor with the pos. One of the three wires will show 12v. Thats your power supply to the sensor. one will show 5 volts or slightly less, this is the signal to the ECM. The other wire is the one you want. It's the sensor ground. You want to see less than .10 volts. Anything more than .10 volts on this wire means the sensor is bad.  You can use this simple test on ANY three wire sensor. After you do that test you can check the sensor through its range by checking for a voltage drop as the throtle is opened. This test is easyer on a scanner (not a code reader) if you have one. Your looking for a point in it where the signal drops out.
I may be schizophrenic but at least I have us!

Magnumcharger

Stretch, I'll do exactly as you said this upcoming weekend.
As a matter of fact, I had printed out this very inspection two weeks ago but hadn't done it.

I guess I'll have to now!

Magnumcharger

Alrighty then.
Months later, I'm getting back to this thread to update it.

The problem was.....a plugged Catalytic convertor!
Todd Wilson, you win the prize. Whatever that might be.

I replaced the TPS and the Speed sensor too, to no avail!
I took the truck (at 30mph - maximum speed) to a local repair shop where the mechanic knew EXACTLY what the problem was.
When I picked it up afterwards, I expected a massive repair bill, after all, Catalytic convertors aren't cheap!

But no! He opened it up, dumped the contents, and rewelded it up. Good man! :cheers:
Problem solved. The truck runs like a superstar now.

On to the next problem: an exhaust manifold bolt which has mysteriously gone missing out of the very back bolt hole on the right side. And now exhaust is pumping out of it. I've seen coolant coming out of this hole on older small blocks, but these Magnum V8s must be a different animal.

moparstuart

Quote from: Magnumcharger on January 17, 2012, 12:17:01 PM
Alrighty then.
Months later, I'm getting back to this thread to update it.

I replaced the TPS and the Speed sensor too, to no avail!
I took the truck (at 30mph - maximum speed) to a local repair shop where the mechanic knew EXACTLY what the problem was.
When I picked it up afterwards, I expected a massive repair bill, after all, Catalytic convertors aren't cheap!

But no! He opened it up, dumped the contents, and rewelded it up. Good man! :cheers:
Problem solved. The truck runs like a superstar now.

On to the next problem: an exhaust manifold bolt which has mysteriously gone missing out of the very back bolt hole on the right side. And now exhaust is pumping out of it. I've seen coolant coming out of this hole on older small blocks, but these Magnum V8s must be a different animal.
it didnt break off did it ?  they get hot and love to do that on those  :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Stretch

Don't tell to many about the coverter fix. It's against federal law to do that. That could be a big fine for that shop.

moparstuart

Quote from: Stretch on January 17, 2012, 05:07:58 PM
Don't tell to many about the coverter fix. It's against federal law to do that. That could be a big fine for that shop.
are canadian laws the same   :shruggy:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Magnumcharger

Quote from: moparstuart on January 17, 2012, 05:42:53 PM
Quote from: Stretch on January 17, 2012, 05:07:58 PM
are canadian laws the same   :shruggy:

Nope. We're in the wilderness, remember?
Seriously though, nobody is doing smog checks on our vehicles here. Population density is pretty low.

Beep Beep Dave

I am pretty sure I called it first...man how do you get any respect around this place  :brickwall:
I guess I could keep those prudy Keystones :scratchchin:

Ok I will take another 100 or so pages of Cars in Barns pics :cheers: You still have my email?

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Magnumcharger

Quote from: Beep Beep Dave on January 18, 2012, 12:17:44 AM
I am pretty sure I called it first...man how do you get any respect around this place  :brickwall:
I guess I could keep those prudy Keystones :scratchchin:

Ok I will take another 100 or so pages of Cars in Barns pics :cheers: You still have my email?

Dave

Dave, I blame my lazy 'clicking' finger, which only clicked on the second page, rather than crawling through the entire thread!
Keystones? Oh yeah, THOSE Keystones!!
Alright. You win the prize!!! Congratulations!! Todd, you're now in second place! :icon_smile_big:

I'd love to give you another 100 pages of Cars in Barns content! I have to get back out to Alberta first! Nova Scotia just doesn't have good enough junkyards!!

Stretch

We don't have smog checks here either but modifying the cat hits federal laws does it not? I'm not sure how that would apply to the Canadians but I bet the law is similar.

Here the police can (and do) stop you for something like loud exhaust and "look" at your exhaust system. No cats or a cut and welded cat is a $2000.00 dollar ticket per cat! You get 14 days to fix it. If you do and get it inspected the ticket is cleared. The fine for shops (that get cought) is much higher.

All I'm saying is the less people who know, The better off everyone will be.

P.S. I'm glad your truck is fixed. and I'm dong this to mine...

http://www.frozenboost.com/product_info.php?cPath=210&products_id=329&osCsid=4509bb2099c94ec52e53cdbd0f34441e

:icon_smile_big:

As for the down stream O2. I'll buy a "weld in O2 bung" and put it into the frame rail of the truck or if there's room I'll drill a hole in the outer shell of the cat (not into the exhaust stream) and put the sensor there. It's looking for the cleanest air it can see anyway. This will keep the check engine light out.

nvrbdn

taking it off the truck and welding it back up is not altering the converter. my son called me one day after a fishing tournament saying his blazer had no power. i said dont drive it and hooked up the trailer heading an hour south to get him. when we got there the truck fired right up and drove it on the trailer. well on the way home he told me it had been acting that way for a few weeks. fine in the morning, but after driving a little it lost all power. well that didnt sound like a timing chain so i called a buddy and was told to check the cat convert. i got it home and put it on the livt and cut the cat out and instant power. i looked into the cat and it was blocked solid. shone a light through one end and couldnt see nothing.  used the compressor and blew it all out. looks like a honeycomb on the inside.when i got done, you could see right through it. welded it back in and been 2 years and runs perfect still. and has passed emissions too.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Stretch

How is removing the catalyst from the catalytic converter not altering it?

nvrbdn

i guess i misread his post. i was thinking he had it cleaned out, not removing the entire guts. thats what we did was remove, clean it out, and reinstall it.  my bad.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Stretch

No big deal. Hell, Perhaps I misread it.  I have been known to jump to conclusions. ;D

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

Stretch

The reason why I'm going with the "cat" I listed the link for is I want the apperance of having one and I'm sure the stright through disign of that one must flow better than a hollowed out converter. I'm sure a hollowed out converter causes alot of turbulence in the exhaust stream. If I'm going to go through the work I want to make it wrth my time.

Todd Wilson

Quote from: Magnumcharger on January 17, 2012, 12:17:01 PM

Thank Me!!!!!!!!!        :icon_smile_big:

Todd