News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Restoring leaf springs. Electroless nickel or black paint?

Started by bull, July 27, 2011, 10:19:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

I'm getting close to that part of the project and am wondering if leaf springs were originally painted or bare metal? If they were bare metal I'm thinking of having them plated in electroless nickel, which does look a lot like bare metal. If they were painted, well, I'll probably paint them. ;D

bill440rt

It is my understanding that either bare metal OR painted black is correct for leaf springs.
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

bull

Thanks. I'm now thinking black would be the way to go.

69 OUR/TEA

I ended up doing mine  black bull,they were new brand new leaf springs(black) ,but sanded them down anway to bare metal,etch primed them then used a satin black on them.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Took mine all apart & used Seymor Stainless Steel paint...just to add some contrast back there;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Same as the tank I presume ?

A little off topic but I'm still surprised there is no rubber insulator to go between the straps and the tank itself.

Chatt69chgr

Just 6T9 CHGR

Tank was left natural.... Just sprayed clear coat over it....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69 OUR/TEA

That looks real nice under there Chris!!!! :2thumbs: Sway bar too!!!!! :scope:

Just 6T9 CHGR

You noticed!  Posted that pic a while ago & some noticed & some didn't....you can feel the effect of the sway bar ever so slightly.
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

Aww Chris.  You put the engine back to stock and now you have the aftermarket sway bar on there?  I better not see you in the stock class next year!   :smilielol:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: resq302 on July 30, 2011, 10:29:14 PM
Aww Chris.  You put the engine back to stock and now you have the aftermarket sway bar on there?  I better not see you in the stock class next year!   :smilielol:
that bar has been on there for the better part of 5 years now Brian.  You have to get further down on your knees next time to see it!
PS...... The Holley is back on there now!  ;)
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

resq302

sheesh Chris.  I know I am getting old with just  turning 35 and all but am I really getting THAT blind? :slap: :brickwall:
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

bull

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on July 28, 2011, 09:17:36 PM
Took mine all apart & used Seymor Stainless Steel paint...just to add some contrast back there;)

Did you paint the shackles and front brackets this Seymor Stainless too?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T