News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

383 rear main leak again

Started by oldsnofear, August 16, 2011, 02:36:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldsnofear

I ve replaced the rear main in my charger 3 times now the last time i offset the seals an used the rubber side seals from mancini.  if i go for a long trip and park it i get a couple of drips (not alot just enough to p me off). this time it lasted about 2 months. everyone i talk to says this is pretty much normal for big block chryslers. ive tried siliconing up the side seals on the cap. about ready to fab some mounts to drop in a big block chevy!!!!!!. any thoughts?? Thanks

westcoastdodge

I don't care what is is designed to do,I want to know what it can do.
Gene Kranz

SRT-68

Make sure it is the rear main. Double check the rear of the valley pan, the valve covers and the oil pressure sender. I have also seen cam plugs and galley plugs leak.

Also make sure the PCV valve is not plugged.  :Twocents:

7chargers

I'm in the same boat with my 69 charger 383. So someone with some good ideas might help us both out. I used the kit from Manccinni as well it slowed the leak but still dripping. My fater-inlaw said the same thing about the PCV valve? He believed I had to much pressure building up in my crank which was causing the real main to continue to leak.. So my motor is now self contained sealed for presure. hoses from the pvc valve to the carb and the aircleaner to the valve cover.. still leaking..

oldsnofear

I think im gonna try it again the valve covers and every thing else up top is dry only a couple of drips at the center bottom of bellhousing. im think im gonna try the blue mopar rear cap this time. anyone use this?

jrust

Try the blue seal, if that doesn't work try a rope seal. The rope seal is a real PITA to put in but that's probaby the last avenue before yanking a motor. Been there - done that. Good Luck

charger Downunder

I always thought a rope seal was the best and use a sneaky pete rear main seal tool to install it.
[/quote]