News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aussie newbie

Started by DR1969, August 15, 2011, 05:10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR1969

G'Day, another Charger fan from down under, been looking at (drooling over) Chargers for years, always seeing them popping up in movies etc.
  Had a few hot cars in the past, aussie 70's models and even a C**v(not sure if that's a swear word around here) along time ago(15-20 years) but I have been bitten by the car bug once again and its seems only a Charger will cure me.
  Planning on doing plenty of research before buying as i can really only afford to buy one car, not a dud. I'm looking for a 68,69,or 70, probably 69 being my choice, doesn't have to be an R/T or have matching numbers etc. big block would be nice, and something about bench seat and column auto really appeals to me.
Just want a nice car that's had most/all the work done.

Hope not to ask to many stupid questions along the way.

Cheers David

nvrbdn

welcome david, good luck with the search. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

41husk

Welcome! I sold my qq1 blue 68 charger down under.  It was a nice turn key driver that looked very good.  G-man (george) bought it and has told me he would like to sell it and purchase a europeon super car.  You might look him up.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Magnumcharger

Welcome to the site! :cheers: (Fosters lager)
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 convertible
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 426 Hemi 4 speed
1968 Plymouth Barracuda S/S clone 426 Hemi auto
1969 Dodge Deora pickup clone 318 auto
1971 Dodge Charger R/T 440 auto
1972 Dodge C600 318 4 speed ramp truck
1972 Dodge C800 413 5 speed
1979 Chrysler 300 T-top 360 auto
2001 Dodge RAM Sport Offroad 360 auto
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T 6 speed
2014 RAM Laramie 5.7 Hemi 8 speed

charger Downunder

Good to see another Aussie, Welcome to the site. :2thumbs:
[/quote]

Welcome  :wave:

Theres quite a few of us from Aus.

doctor4766

Quote from: Magnumcharger on August 15, 2011, 08:01:38 AM
Umm no one here drinks that crap as far as I know.

Hey David, where are you situated?
Gotta love a '69

markrt68

G'day, hope you get sorted quickly with your summer around the corner.
Your winters are better than my summer as well :icon_smile_angry:

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

tan top

hello & welcome  David  :cheers: :cheers: :yesnod: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Quote from: doctor4766 on August 15, 2011, 09:40:20 AM
Quote from: Magnumcharger on August 15, 2011, 08:01:38 AM
Umm no one here drinks that crap as far as I know.

Apparently Fosters in the US isn't too bad. I spoke with a beer merchant who said it was made in North America (Canada) instead of downunder and is actually pretty good.  :shruggy:

Laxy

Welcome Dave, which state are you in? Buying locally is overpriced as usual (especially given how good our dollar is!), but with the tightened import laws you would need to make sure anything imported was dead stock/unmodified to minimise hassles on this end.

As mentioned above, G-man in NSW has a couple of nice big-block 4-speed 68 Chargers but can't drive a stick shift so is looking to offload them in order to buy a Ferrari or a Formula 1 car. Yes I'm serious.

PS. I sincerely hope you don't drink Fosters  :icon_smile_big:
71 Valiant VH Hardtop 265 Hemi 4-speed, 71 VH Valiant Charger R/T Replica 360 4-speed, 68 Dodge Charger 440/727.

doctor4766

Gotta love a '69

Bob T

Gidday from NZ DR1969 and welcome. Top site,  Lots of info and entertainment on here  :2thumbs:

Quote from: doctor4766 on August 16, 2011, 03:14:35 AM
Amazing isn't it?

Which? Fosters or selling a 68 to get a euro   :pity:   . I'd rather drink Fosters personally  :icon_smile_big:
Maybe if he got a ride in a Hemi car, he'd have a different idea on it  :shruggy:
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

doctor4766

Quote from: Bob T on August 16, 2011, 04:06:41 AM
Gidday from NZ DR1969 and welcome. Top site,  Lots of info and entertainment on here  :2thumbs:

Amazing isn't it?

Which? Fosters or selling a 68 to get a euro   :pity:   . I'd rather drink Fosters personally  :icon_smile_big:
Maybe if he got a ride in a Hemi car, he'd have a different idea on it  :shruggy:
Bit of both I spose....
Gotta love a '69

MoPar_440

Welcome David, I joined on here a couple months ago and its a great site  :2thumbs:
I'm from down under in Melbourne and i know of a 68 Charger that might still be for sale, Blue, blue trim, woodgrain wheel, black vinyl roof, bumblebee stripe, Cragars etc but im not sure if its a 383 or a 440........... mmmm 440 :drool5:
1968 Dodge Charger, all numbers matching 383 BB, factory air, 727, PP1 red, Black vinyl roof, black interior, Magnum 500 wheels..yes i have Dodge fever.... There's only one cure...CHARGER!!!!

Mopar....No replacement for displacement!!!

Quote from: doctor4766 on August 16, 2011, 04:15:18 AM
Quote from: Bob T on August 16, 2011, 04:06:41 AM
Gidday from NZ DR1969 and welcome. Top site,  Lots of info and entertainment on here  :2thumbs:

Amazing isn't it?

Which? Fosters or selling a 68 to get a euro   :pity:   . I'd rather drink Fosters personally  :icon_smile_big:
Maybe if he got a ride in a Hemi car, he'd have a different idea on it  :shruggy:
Bit of both I spose....

Amazed about selling a nice 68 for a Formula 1 car  :shruggy:

dodgey68

Quote from: charger Downunder on August 15, 2011, 08:13:53 AM
Good to see another Aussie, Welcome to the site. :2thumbs:

yes  what he said :cheers:, I'm located in  bendigo vic
fosters,, yuk :eek2:, who does drink that horse piss anyway??
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

DR1969

Hey guys, thanks for the very warm welcome.

I'm located in Geelong, been looking at some local cars, but they need a lot of work and seem a bit pricey, judging by what I've seen on this forum and whats for sale in the States, I think importing one is the way to go.

Id even consider taking a trip to States to locate and buy one, i would love to drive it over there and then bring it back as my own car.

Just looking for a clean and neat driver, that i can drive and enjoy.

PS,sorry Magnumcharger, Fosters haven't passed my lips since i was about 16yo,lol, Carlton draught is the way to go!!

rooks

G'day David.

If you're after a specific colour/engine/trans combo you'll probably have better luck sourcing one from the States - but do keep an eye out locally. A few do pop up, unfortunately they're more often than not anywhere from 25%-50% over-priced.

Keep an eye on Mopar Market.

There's a decent look one on Just Mustangs - bit over-priced though.

DR1969

Quote from: rooks on August 16, 2011, 05:15:11 PM
G'day David.

If you're after a specific colour/engine/trans combo you'll probably have better luck sourcing one from the States - but do keep an eye out locally. A few do pop up, unfortunately they're more often than not anywhere from 25%-50% over-priced.

hey rooks , thanks for the help, i will keep looking locally as well.
I thought my search was over with that blue 69 at Just Mustangs, id been waiting for it to arrive for weeks, pestering Russell and went and checked it out as soon as it arrived, but i was disappointed to say the least, i think the photos were taken some time ago because it didn't look that good in the flesh, it needs a full resto, boot(lol trunk), sills, rear quarters, floor. just way to much work for me, look I'm not bagging Russell at all, he couldn't have been more helpful and didn't mind all my calls and even returned my calls, some other importers are just very rude and i wouldn't want to buy a car from them, Russell has some real nice cars there, and seems like a genuine good bloke.
But it has taught don't rely on photos, ebay etc.

MoPar_440

Quote from: DR1969 on August 16, 2011, 06:16:28 AM
 Hey guys, thanks for the very warm welcome.

I'm located in Geelong, been looking at some local cars, but they need a lot of work and seem a bit pricey, judging by what I've seen on this forum and whats for sale in the States, I think importing one is the way to go.

Id even consider taking a trip to States to locate and buy one, i would love to drive it over there and then bring it back as my own car.

Just looking for a clean and neat driver, that i can drive and enjoy.

PS,sorry Magnumcharger, Fosters haven't passed my lips since i was about 16yo,lol, Carlton draught is the way to go!!
Yeh fair enough mate, thats what i did, 1968, pp1 red, 383 BB auto etc, really solid dry car from the states that i can jump in and drive anywhere, i love em!!!!!!  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs:
Best of luck buddy
1968 Dodge Charger, all numbers matching 383 BB, factory air, 727, PP1 red, Black vinyl roof, black interior, Magnum 500 wheels..yes i have Dodge fever.... There's only one cure...CHARGER!!!!

Mopar....No replacement for displacement!!!

Darkman

Quote from: DR1969 on August 17, 2011, 04:29:59 AM
Quote from: rooks on August 16, 2011, 05:15:11 PM
G'day David.

hey rooks , thanks for the help, i will keep looking locally as well.
I thought my search was over with that blue 69 at Just Mustangs, id been waiting for it to arrive for weeks, pestering Russell and went and checked it out as soon as it arrived, but i was disappointed to say the least, i think the photos were taken some time ago because it didn't look that good in the flesh, it needs a full resto, boot(lol trunk), sills, rear quarters, floor. just way to much work for me, look I'm not bagging Russell at all, he couldn't have been more helpful and didn't mind all my calls and even returned my calls, some other importers are just very rude and i wouldn't want to buy a car from them, Russell has some real nice cars there, and seems like a genuine good bloke.
But it has taught don't rely on photos, ebay etc.

Russell is OK in terms of help and all, but nevertheless a car salesman. I drove 15 hours to pick up one of his junker chargers and it was nothing like it was described in the add.

I bought a 68 for 10K USD and imported it myself. It was a complete runner that needed some body work, but that was what I wanted. Something I could put my "personal" touches on.

PS Hello and welcome to the site  :wave:
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

lookin@my68

Welcome to the site David  :cheers:

There's quite a few of us Aussies on here now...

[/quote]
Yeh fair enough mate, thats what i did, 1968, pp1 red, 383 BB auto etc, really solid dry car from the states that i can jump in and drive anywhere, i love em!!!!!!  :drool5: :drool5: :drool5: :2thumbs:
Best of luck buddy
[/quote]

MoPar_440 - your car's twin is in Adelaide in my shed!  :2thumbs:

macca3441

Darkman,
You hit the nail on the head!
I also found Russel a nice and helpful guy.....BUT, he is a car salesman!!!!
I flew from North Qld to Melbourne to check out a 68 Charger he had, and it turned out to be nowhere near the way he described it!
Wasted flights, wasted motel, wasted car hire, wasted time off work!
But, I guess you never know if you dont go have a look. It might've been the buy of the century! lol
Photos tell lies, and so do some people! Look with your own eyes (or someone's you trust), and if you invest your time and effort, you'll find a decent car!!

Wade