News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

estimated WEIGHT savings?

Started by TK73, January 14, 2006, 02:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TK73

What would be the approximate weight savings by taking out most of the interior?  Back seat, door panels, carpet?
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

'CUDA360

Not much.  50 pounds tops

Most of the weight savings in the interior are in the front seats. To really save weight you need to change out the front end, doors and trunklid to fiberglass.

The mopars don't need the sheetmetal parts to run down the street like the GMs do

andy74

i would guess almost 200 lbs,those back seats are frigging heavy,and so is the carpet

greenpigs

Quote from: andy74 on January 14, 2006, 03:57:58 PM
i would guess almost 200 lbs,those back seats are frigging heavy,and so is the carpet

I agree with Andy, the rear seats are heavy and I guess you only plan on one seat up front, so I think 200lbs is a safe guess. It is amazing how much the front seats weigh and then when you put a fiberglass bucket in its place. Scraping the undercoating off seems like such a waste after that, of course you could do both.
1969 Charger RT

Living Chevy free

NHCharger

I just removed the interior on my 71.
Back seat - 40 lbs. max for upper and lower combined.
Carpet - 20 lbs.
Door panels - 15 lbs. for both pieces.
If you really want to lose the weight the front fenders are 100 lbs. each. The hood is probably 100+ pounds. As mentioned swapping to fiberglass on these would be the way to go.

Andy, The back seats are heavy ??? Time to start working out with sometime other than 12 oz. curls. :D
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone
79 Lil Red Express - future money pit
88 Ramcharger 4x4- current money pit
55 Dodge Royal 2 door - wife's money pit
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

hemihead

I know the front buckets aren't light.Sound deadner pads are dead weight too.Wouldn't you want more weight toward the back for traction purposes?
Lots of people talkin' , few of them know
Soul of a woman was created below
  Led Zeppelin

TK73

Thanks guys, I know that 'glas exterior parts will help the most.  No $$ for that fun stuff though.  I do have one fender that needs repair so it might just be worth changing both to 'glas if I get to the point I can afford it.
1973 Charger : 440cid - 727 - 8.75/3.55

Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical,
      a liberal, oh fanatical, criminal.
Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're
      acceptable, respectable, oh presentable, a vegetable!

The Ghoul

Quote from: NHCharger on January 14, 2006, 09:23:41 PM
I just removed the interior on my 71.
Back seat - 40 lbs. max for upper and lower combined.
Carpet - 20 lbs.
Door panels - 15 lbs. for both pieces.
If you really want to lose the weight the front fenders are 100 lbs. each. The hood is probably 100+ pounds. As mentioned swapping to fiberglass on these would be the way to go.

Andy, The back seats are heavy ??? Time to start working out with sometime other than 12 oz. curls. :D
they had to have changed some major stuff between 71 and 73
I shipped my hood, trunk, and front fenders
hood (flat)-85lbs
fenders-36lbs ea
trunk- 20lbs
I would say the bench seat in front (if you have one) is the heaviest (inside).
I didnt think my back seats were that heavy.
I think the majority of the over all body weight is in the bumpers!! they have so much re-inforcement steel behind them!If there was a way to cut that down maby replace the 2 big steel beams with aluminum angle would help? or find a way to rigg some fiber glass ones into the stock place?

what are you planning for your car?
is it going to be a summer driver or are you setting it up strictly for strip?
If it is to be a fun summer car I would suggest leaving every thing, they get darn loud inside without any thing to absorb the sound!!
I was thinking of gutting mine because of the clean look but i decided I would end up putting as much weight back into it in dinomat to keep the noise down for as many miles as im going to put on it.

if all else fails you can start looking to your rotating mass (fiber drive shaft, light fly wheel, rims ect)
or
you can try my way of weight reduction, dump your Girl friend and go on a diet just think of the savings!!
     girl firend 125lbs+your weight loss 40lbs-new girl friends weight sence you are alot more slim and trim 105=60lbs net weight savings.
Its been working for me thus far!!

The Ghoul

ok Ive got the real numbers... according to a home scale.
bench seat bottem                       50 lbs
bench backs                                 20 lbs ea
rear seat back                               18 lbs
rear seat bottem                           20 lbs
sill plates                                      1/4 lbs ea
ceeling fabric with bows                    3 lbs
rear 'fabric'pannels                            1 lbs ea
rear plastic                                       1 lb ea
front door 'fabric'                              2 lb ea
front plastics                               1 1/2 lbs ea
kicker panels                                  1/4 lb ea
a-pillar plastics                                1/4 lb ea
metal window trim (all of it)                2 lbs
rear 1/4 window luvers                 1 1/2 lbs
sail pannel boards         1/2 lb ea
center consule                                10 lb
59.5 lbs so thats 79.5lbs if you assume 20lbs for the carpet (wich I didnt have to weigh)
now thats all the intirror bits not counting front seats or center consule.

now all the bumper bits weight all of these componets you could replace with the purches of fiber glass bumpers.. you would have to fab some way to attach the bumper shells to the main bumper brackets (not included)
lower rear bumper support       17lbs
rear bumper shell                    21lbs
front lower bumper support     20lbs
front upper bumper support     15lbs
grill mount brackets                  2lbs each x 4
front bumper shell                  21lbs
bumper gards and brackets        6lbs ea x 4

all bumper bits 126 lbs