News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rack and Pinion

Started by Darkman, August 10, 2011, 09:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkman

Hey there fellow enthusiasts!

I was just wondering if anyone has progressed further with rack and pinion on there cars?

I have done a lot of reading on this site about the good systems (complete setups like AlterKtion) and the not so good ones (from unisteer). These topics were last discussed over 2 years ago and I wondered is anyone has revisited this option? I know Steve P was looking at a front mounted steering rack option, but nothing has been spoken about since 2009. Has it been forgotten about? Is it in the too hard basket?

As part of my RHD conversion, I was planning on a simple system installation that would allow me to keep the current steering box on the LHS, however, this system hasn't had enough engineering testing (fatigue etc) and most likely wouldn't be allowed on my car. There are 2 places here in Aus that modify K members that allows for a RHD conversion rack and pinion. This system has brackets welded to the K frame (http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pentastarparts.com.au%2Fsunshop%2Findex.php%3Fl%3Dproduct_detail%26p%3D2832&ei=PD1DTv7YAofXrQezvKDwCA&usg=AFQjCNGMrwGeJzR46eRB_LRUQnYWiaD3Kg similar to the unisteer setup but welded instead of bolted), it claims the bump steer is about 16mm (a little over 1/2"). This system allows me to mount a common GM rack which is cheap and readily available. This system will pass engineering and therefore will be approved. However I do want to resurrect the idea of front mounted steering.
Make it idiot proof, and somebody will make a better idiot!

If you think Education is difficult, try being stupid!

charger Downunder

I know the boys over here do a Keith Clews design on there challengers that have been converted to rhd.you may want to chase him up.
[/quote]

Darkman

I just spoke to Keith and he is not doing them any more but has sold his jigs for the K member modifications to Pentastar Parts and Restoration (the link in my first post). So I will remove the K member and send it to him to fit this system and reinstall it.

These guys are very helpful and explained the turning circle will be affected but minimally. The turning circle will be the same as my Holden Adventra so it won't bother me any. Besides, the sheer size of the Dodge tank will limit where I would be parking the car (where the turning circle actually matters)

John_Kunkel

Any idea what rack they're using?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Darkman

This setup uses a Holden Commodore rack (the same one that is in the Aussie built Pontiac G8's - except it's RHD of course)

HPP

Quote from: Darkman on August 10, 2011, 09:33:12 PM

it claims the bump steer is about 16mm (a little over 1/2"). 

16mm of bump steer, Yikes!! :o  hopefully  that is combined and not per side, but still, yowza. Bumpsteer is the biggest bane of a good handling mopar, so whatever you can do to reduce that will yield dividends.

Budnicks

I have a $1000 Unisteer, rear steer rack & pinion, mounts in original steering location... The only pre-made headers that will fit my 68 RR with a B-engine & the rack is TTI-383178c that I could find anyway, or just custom build a set of your own, the stock 68-70 HP manifolds & 3" exhaust will easily clear though... If I was to do it again, I would fab up a front steer modified pinto or mustang rack & swap the left & right ball joints & space/locate  it to eliminate the bump steer...
"fill your library before you fill your garage"   Budnicks

dodgey68

i got the unisteer r&p ,i dont have any issues now, i am happy with it,, but you doin a rhd conversion so either youll be using an aussie rack, the mob  in melbourne  elko performance do a k-frame mod, but$$$$
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

Elko  :eek2:  Great idea and potential of a business but poorly executed.

Give "CARS" a call at lonsdale SA Darkman, they did the conversion on the guys Charger who gave me his heater box.

Darkman

Pentastar Parts & Reproductions have already done the K frame modification that Elko do. This system has already been approved in SA. I just got the steering rack to ready to mock up.

Chryco Psycho

the big issue I see with front steer is the lack of a proper spindle .

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr