News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My work place caught on fire this afternoon (pics and video's)

Started by The70RT, August 09, 2011, 07:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The70RT

Im sure a mess will await all of us. We just got all the summer cleaning done and was ready for the 2000 students to arrive next week. I haven't been called in yet but I'm sure I will get the call soon.

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/Topeka_High_School_Catches_On_Fire_127341928.html?storySection=photo
<br /><br />Uploaded with ImageShack.us

nvrbdn

that stinks. hope they can work around it while repairs go through. school starts here next tuesday :o
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bakerhillpins

Gah... that's not cool at all.  :o

Hopefully no one hurt.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

bobs66440

charge69

Man, that's a real bummer !!  Looks like school will be delayed at best for a while.  You got some more cleaning up to do !  Sorry

The70RT

I will try to get some pics tomorrow. They got it out pretty fast.

67440chrg

Man that sucks. I bet the students don't mind.

Brock Samson

:eek2: how about a link to the news story?.. hope it goes as smooth as it can under the circumstances.  :shruggy:

The70RT

Quote from: Brock Samson on August 10, 2011, 02:06:15 PM
:eek2: how about a link to the news story?.. hope it goes as smooth as it can under the circumstances.  :shruggy:

Brock look at my first post, there is the news link. I checked out the roof today and suprisingly all it burned was a approx a 30X30 hole down to the concrete. It also melted the peak shingles that were nearby. Lots of water damage to the ceiling on the 3rd floor. If it didn't have a concrete roof under the rubber it would have been way worse. We just removed old ceiling tiles today and did some cleaning so not too bad for us. They had the burned part cut out and patched already this morning when I got there. They also had it covered since now we got rain. Here is a pic of the roof. The first level of the tower (3rd floor) has hunderds of old trophies that date back to over a 100 years ago and the fire door kept fire out of the tower. What you see in the video's of the fire just blowing through from the back side. That's good news because the tower has a chimes set up in it that is really rare and only a few exist world wide. My camera fogged one of the inside tower pics.

Ponch ®

"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

moparstuart

Quote from: Ponch ® on August 10, 2011, 04:36:56 PM
Should have let Milton keep his stapler...
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   YOUR GOING TO NEED TO COME IN AND WORK ON SUNNNNDAYYYYYY
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

The70RT

Quote from: moparstuart on August 10, 2011, 04:42:41 PM
Quote from: Ponch ® on August 10, 2011, 04:36:56 PM
Should have let Milton keep his stapler...
:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:   YOUR GOING TO NEED TO COME IN AND WORK ON SUNNNNDAYYYYYY

I would if need be.....more $$$ for the Charger  :icon_smile_big: I use to work 53 hours a week then we lost all out OT when this nation took a dump.

Sabre

Quote from: The70RT on August 09, 2011, 07:01:55 PM
Im sure a mess will await all of us. We just got all the summer cleaning done and was ready for the 2000 students to arrive next week. I haven't been called in yet but I'm sure I will get the call soon.

http://www.wibw.com/home/headlines/Topeka_High_School_Catches_On_Fire_127341928.html?storySection=photo

Are you a custodian?

The70RT

Quote from: Sabre on August 10, 2011, 05:49:50 PM

Are you a custodian?

Yeah, been there almost 20 years.

RallyeMike

Despondent custodian upset over loss of OT. Now building needs lots of cleaning.

:scratchchin:

Any word on the cause of the fire yet?   :lol:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

The70RT

moparstuart

Quote from: The70RT on August 10, 2011, 09:55:19 PM
Not yet but pretty sure the roofers did it.
dennis if they lock you up ,I'll bail you out   :icon_smile_big:

The70RT

Thanks, I will cut you im on my law suit as well  :yesnod:  just for the record I was home.

moparstuart

Quote from: The70RT on August 11, 2011, 09:09:47 AM
Thanks, I will cut you im on my law suit as well  :yesnod:  just for the record I was home.
thats good stick to that story   :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

Tilar

Our kids start the 24th. I work in the bus garage 4 whole hours a day.  :coolgleamA:

That sucks... Looks like a lot of work to get done in a weeks time.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

Charger_Fan

Quote from: The70RT on August 10, 2011, 04:44:24 PM
I use to work 53 hours a week then we lost all out OT when this nation took a dump.
Yeah, I remember those days. I worked a LOT.
I used to clock at least 59 hours per week for quite a while ('93~'08)+ extra hours some weeks. Now I work 42 hours a week & make even less commission. I make about 48% what I did 3 years ago, as of last tax season (this year may even be less than that). I have stayed thus far, mostly because I don't want to leave my fellow workers in a lurch. We have had at least 70% of our employees leave in the past 18 months. I am currently doing the job that three used to do (albeit, one of them really sucked at his job & milked his wages 'til his last day), yet am paid for the job of one...minus much commission. I must be a friggin' loon. :image_294343:

Every day at work is full throttle from the time I set foot on the premises until the time I clock out. I feel genuinely spent each day! I have fine-tuned my (three) jobs to the point that my boss knows he's screwed if I leave. Yet there's no talk about pay incentive. My "give-a-damn" is truly broken lately...I let a lot of things slide that I would have previously nailed down & achieved decent results on. The three other guys I work with (that seem to share my commitment) are broken too & have similar burnout. I haven't taken one day of vacation in three years.
I don't know if I (or any other sane man) could/would stick it out another year. Drawing unemployment looks pretty good sometimes...although I would rather smash my finger with a hammer, than to take a handout from the current state of our Obama government, at this point. I'm just made that way. I don't need BIG BRO!
I still make enough to cover my mortgage, food, gas, utilities & booze, so unless the rug gets pulled from me tomorrow, I'm still ok.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

charge69

Charger_Fan,   Really sorry to hear of your position and I truly wonder how I would handle it if I was in your shoes. I guess just having a job these days is pretty good but the employers are taking advantage of the situation and demanding much more for less now.

I retired this year (end of Feb.) from the Federal Service and did not really want to go then as I had not finished my Charger yet but medical reasons forced me to do it. Luckily, I had enough time in to take a retirement and actually HAVE one from them for the time being. That said, they are still paying me less than they owe me by a lot until my retirement is actually figured out correctly by OPM. Yes, six months and counting and they still haven't got my case figured out yet ! Social security can figure out what you will get and when with just a phone call , but not OPM ! By the way, OPM is an acronym for Office of Personnel Management. The govt. loves acronyms !! My wife's job is down to 2 half-days a week from full time so we are just limping along right now ourselves but, we will make it.

Anyway, your job and many others has been impacted severely by this downturn and I feel for all of you. Something has to turn around this economy and employer-attitude soon. Just hang in there and hope the pendulum swings the other way sooner rather than later. You must actually like your job and supervisor or you would not still be there. Seems like the first-line supervisors who have been in the trenches and done the work before have much more sympathy and empathy for the employee. The higher you get, the less you feel for the working man.

Sabre

Quote from: The70RT on August 10, 2011, 07:02:16 PM
Quote from: Sabre on August 10, 2011, 05:49:50 PM

Are you a custodian?

Yeah, been there almost 20 years.

Cool I'm also a Custodian at my local school.  I've only got two years in though.

The70RT

Cool, I get a few perks like access to the auto shop with lifts, alignmet rack, paint booth etc. I also get deals on cars from time to time..

Sabre

Quote from: The70RT on August 12, 2011, 08:08:55 PM
Cool, I get a few perks like access to the auto shop with lifts, alignmet rack, paint booth etc. I also get deals on cars from time to time..

Perks are great, to bad the school I work for doesn't have an autoshop (it's an elementary school).  When the Holidays role around the teachers give nice gifts to the custodians, and today we took a fishing trip on a charter boat.  We cleaned out the school of scrap metal, plenty of money for seven of us to take the trip.

Definitely not a bad job.

The70RT

Quote from: Sabre on August 12, 2011, 10:05:35 PM
Quote from: The70RT on August 12, 2011, 08:08:55 PM

Perks are great, to bad the school I work for doesn't have an autoshop (it's an elementary school).  When the Holidays role around the teachers give nice gifts to the custodians, and today we took a fishing trip on a charter boat.  We cleaned out the school of scrap metal, plenty of money for seven of us to take the trip.

Definitely not a bad job.

That's great. We have to watch what we take. If it hits the dumpster it's usually ok. Our city went to great lengths to prosecute some workers that took scrap sewer pipe. The workers got 400it bucks and the city spent thousands to charge them.