News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

69 Charger Rallye Dash Heater/AC Control Bezel

Started by Chatt69chgr, September 11, 2011, 10:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chatt69chgr

I'm working on restoring my heater/air conditioning control bezel.  The chrome on mine isn't the best so I figured I would just order a new bezel.  I found out that the repop from PG Classics is for a non rallye dash only.  So I'm giving some thought to having my bezel rechromed.  Has anyone had this done?  Also-----has anyone restored their slider buttons.  The ones with the lettering on them for ac, temp, fan, etc.  I see that Performance Car Graphics out of Florida will re-hot stamp and clean up these----or they will sell you a decal kit if you want to use it.  Just wondering what other folks have done when they restored this thing.  I figure I'll have to take the multi switch apart and clean and lubricate it.  Their is a little tutorial about this on the Imperial forum.  I did some searching but didn't come up with much on restoring this assembly.

Chatt69chgr

Well, I've found out a little more about the Heater/ac control for my 69 chgr with rallye dash and ac.  Performance Car Graphics will hot stamp the buttons with new lettering for $14/button.  There are 7 buttons.  Or they will sell you the decal kit for $12.  They suggest just buying a new multi switch which is what 5 of the buttons go to.  They said that you should just order Mopar Part Number 3895790 from Mopar.  I checked and they are about $57 off the net or RT Specialties has them for $49.  Nobody, apparently, has the fan switch.  You have to carefully take yours apart and clean it.  Performance Car Graphics says his rechromer died so he can't offer this service.  He says if you want this done to make sure the shop removes the old plating using reverse electrolysis--not grinding.  He sells some other parts like the light bar cardboard shroud, push on nuts for the heater cable and I assume the fan switch.  Heater control cable is not available for ac cars.  Ray's Auto Air & Heat can make one that should work (www.rayeveritt.com) fairly cheaply.  There were two Mopar suppliers for the assembly.  One uses smooth buttons and one uses textured buttons with textured chrome bezel surface.  I have not found a source for the metal clips that hold the temp cable to the bezel at one end and the water valve at the other. 

Just 6T9 CHGR

For the knobs I used the decal kit from PCG....not too bad unless you are looking real close @ the knobs

The cable retainers are simple push nuts that can be found on the HELP! rack at your parts store.  :Twocents:

Sorry for the crappy pic
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Can you post a close up photo of a push button with decal installed Just 6T9 CHGR ?

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Those decals look better then I expected.... How are they holding up ?

Are they the wrap around style or just the knob face ?

Just 6T9 CHGR

They wrap around and have been on there for at least 10+ years....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dino

That's not bad for $15!

Actually all the decal stuff is pretty cheap compared to most other stuff.  For less than $100 you can redo all the gauges and a/c knobs and get great resulsts with very little effort.   :2thumbs:

I was browsing around for a few items for a 69, nothing major, just some new parking light lenses and arm rests, heater valve and a woodgrain shifter knob (mine's from a 68) and oh my!  That added up quite fast!

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.